El Yunque and Fort in the Same day

shawn&angie

Is it reasonable (time wise) to take in both The Rain forest and the Fort in the same day. We are taking an extra day post cruise (March 2009) to take in a few things and thought these two would be good.

We would definitely be open to any suggestion on those two items or any others. There will be four of us...my wife and me and her parents. All of us are pretty mobile. Since it’s the end of our vacation we may want to do these things the most economical way!

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Shawn & Angie

The forts in Old San Juan (there are two forts - El Morro and San Cristobal) and the El Yunque National Forest are an hour or more driving time apart.

You can easily spend more than a day in OSJ and still not have done justice to all there is to see and do. Ditto for the rain forest.

Figure out what you enjoy more, and spend your time where you'll get the most bang for the buck (so to speak).

OSJ: history, art, shopping, restaurants, forts, cathedral, great views

El Yunque: nature, hiking, waterfalls, swimming, great views

Hope this helps!

Hi agree with Ray you might want to pick one and do it justice. But if you really want to do both then:

Arrange to have a rental car so that you can get to El Yunque really early. This will give you time to hike a trail and swim at the waterfall. You could grab lunch at one of the Luquillo kiosks and then get back to Old San Juan early afternoon. You could then check out one of the forts and stroll around the city. Note most things close around 5pm (forts, museums), shops a little later. But you would still get a feel for Old San Jan.

Coqui @ www.visit-the-coqui.com my personal travel guide for Puerto Rico

personally I would pick one and come back another time for more PR fun :o)

Is it reasonable (time wise) to take in both The Rain forest and the Fort in the same day. We are taking an extra day post cruise (March 2009) to take in a few things and thought these two would be good.

We would definitely be open to any suggestion on those two items or any others. There will be four of us...my wife and me and her parents. All of us are pretty mobile. Since it’s the end of our vacation we may want to do these things the most economical way!

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Shawn & Angie

Hi,

We did both in the same day. After disembarking from our ship I called Target rental car. They picked us up. We drove to the rain forest, about 45 min. Stopped at the welcome center. We had a national park pass. There is a charge there. Walked down to the waterfall, seemed much longer then was posted. Beautiful drive..

Ate at the one place on the left coming down the hill, good food.

Drove a slower route back, recommended by car rental guy, he told us to try the coco freo, cold coconut, but we didnt stop. You drive thru small towns some parts were waterfront.

In OSJ we parked on the street and walked to San Cristobal, came to find out they have a parking lot. We did El Morro on a previous trip.

I believe we got the rental car by 10 or 11 and had to return it before 5.

Hope this helps

Archived