Ship Names

eventfarm

So, I'm sailing on the ecstasy in January. Every time I tell someone this, they say "that's really the name of the ship?!?". Yes, it is. And no, it's probably not named after the drug...

So, does anyone know how the carnival ships get their names?

The Ecstasy was my first cruise.

A week or two after we sailed, Ecstasy caught fire in the laundry room.

Well....I was in the kitchen doing dishes and I heard my husband in the living room yelling "Ecstasy!!! Ecstasy!!!" Of course, I had to run in there to see what the heck was going on...lol! The news was showing Ecstasy on fire.

But no....I don't know how they name them!

You do realize that there's more to 'ecstasy' than just a drug, right?

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

ec⋅sta⋅sy

/ˈɛkthinsp.pngstəthinsp.pngsi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif [ek-stuh-see] Show IPA Pronunciation dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif

–noun, plural -sies. 1.rapturous delight.2.an overpowering emotion or exaltation; a state of sudden, intense feeling.3.the frenzy of poetic inspiration.4.mental transport or rapture from the contemplation of divine things.

ec⋅sta⋅sy

/ˈɛkthinsp.pngstəthinsp.pngsi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif[ek-stuh-see] Show IPA Pronunciation dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif

–noun, plural -sies. 1.rapturous delight.2.an overpowering emotion or exaltation; a state of sudden, intense feeling.3.the frenzy of poetic inspiration.4.mental transport or rapture from the contemplation of divine things.

Yeah, my first thought when I hear "ecstasy" is NOT the drug :p LMAO!!!

Yeah, my first thought when I hear "ecstasy" is NOT the drug :p LMAO!!!

That was my first thought when I read it! To me the names are reminiscent of a state of happiness, peace, contentment....

Ecstacy, Paradise, Sensation, Elation, Glory, etc.

That was my first thought when I read it! To me the names are reminiscent of a state of happiness, peace, contentment....

Ecstacy, Paradise, Sensation, Elation, Glory, etc.

Don't forget Constipation. Oh, wait: they haven't got that one out yet.

ec⋅sta⋅sy

/ˈɛkthinsp.pngstəthinsp.pngsi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif[ek-stuh-see] Show IPA Pronunciation dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif

Thanks.... yes, I do know that word ecstasy has a definition. However, I was attempting to express how some people react when I mention it. I could have also made a sexual joke - as they also go that route.

Yeah, same here.

I guess we've learned something about the OP and his/her friends!

Nope, you didn't learn anything about me or my friends from this comment. (I wonder if you would have said that if we were in the same room?)

At any rate... it sounds like ship naming is a mystery....

It's not a mystery... it's based on the theme, as mentioned in post #2... each class has a common theme, and within that class, the ships have a theme... if you look at the names within each class, you can see a common theme generally...

Archived