Grand Cayman - Beach or Else?

pmetiv

We are going to Grand Cayman in December and were wondering what to do there. No stingrays or snorkeling for this stop since we'll have plenty of opportunities to do that else where.

What have you done that you liked there? Have a favorite beach? Why?

Many gay people are boycotting Grand Cayman but we want to go see it to at least make an opinion for ourself.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Pierre & Jim

Just returned from G.C. this past week. I know you dont want to snorkel, but my partner and I went scub diving. It was great. I cant really add anything about beaches. But if you havnt snorkeled there and like to snorkel the water is amazing clear. We had like 100 foot visibility. It was like diving in a fish bowl. So dont count out snorkeling just because you can do it somewhere else. GO for it if you like to do it. Just for info we dove again the next day in cozemel . The same "adventure" with two different experiences. Have fun whatever you decide to do.

We are going to Grand Cayman in December and were wondering what to do there. No stingrays or snorkeling for this stop since we'll have plenty of opportunities to do that else where.

What have you done that you liked there? Have a favorite beach? Why?

Many gay people are boycotting Grand Cayman but we want to go see it to at least make an opinion for ourself.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Pierre & Jim

G.C. is usually a short day so I would get a taxi to 7-mile (short trip)and make the most of it. There are restrooms and you can always get a taxi back as needed.I as the previous poster like to snorkel at G.C....beyond the water it does not have much to offer as perhaps another port would.The water is clear and you do not need to book an excursion to enjoy world class snorkelling. From where you tender in walk to the right @800m where you come to a bluish building called (I believe) Eden roc. They rent lockers,have steps down into the water and a fresh water rinse station. Have fun whatever you do.

Just returned from G.C. this past week. I know you dont want to snorkel, but my partner and I went scub diving. It was great. I cant really add anything about beaches. But if you havnt snorkeled there and like to snorkel the water is amazing clear. We had like 100 foot visibility. It was like diving in a fish bowl. So dont count out snorkeling just because you can do it somewhere else. GO for it if you like to do it. Just for info we dove again the next day in cozemel . The same "adventure" with two different experiences. Have fun whatever you decide to do.

I'm just wondering, did you have scuba experience prior to this trip?

I'm just wondering, did you have scuba experience prior to this trip?

Not really, I did discover scuba in Catalina Islands, got certified this past august in virtually zero visibility. So the visibility was great. The marine life was scant and I have friends who said G.C. was horrible. But We enjoyed it as its own experience. The marine life in Cozemel was much better. I know diving is much better in other places, but we wouls do it again if on this itinerary again.

G.C. is usually a short day so I would get a taxi to 7-mile (short trip)and make the most of it. There are restrooms and you can always get a taxi back as needed.I as the previous poster like to snorkel at G.C....beyond the water it does not have much to offer as perhaps another port would.The water is clear and you do not need to book an excursion to enjoy world class snorkelling. From where you tender in walk to the right @800m where you come to a bluish building called (I believe) Eden roc. They rent lockers,have steps down into the water and a fresh water rinse station. Have fun whatever you do.

I actually love snorkeling but my partner is not that much into it. That's why I'm trying to find other activities. We're already planning some snorkeling in Cozumel.

We might still stop at Eden Rock....just to see! :D

Pierre

The trip to Coral gardens and Stingray city is amazing .. but dont do it with the cruise ships it is so expensive that way.. we had 2 of us and headed for the taxi-vans where we met 6 more people and off we went... a speedboat took us out well in advance of the thousand ship passengers,,, we played with the stingrays and fed them... i even had one lifted onto my back and one kissed me !!... By the time the cruise tour arrived we were well away having been on the sandbar with just about 10 people ..so we headed for Coral Gardens where we were able to snorkel and feed the fish.. AMAZING!!

total cost was $80 ... for both of us!! The RCI cost would have been $240 and there would not have been the chance to see the stingrays without 500 people in the water too!!

I actually love snorkeling but my partner is not that much into it. That's why I'm trying to find other activities. We're already planning some snorkeling in Cozumel.

We might still stop at Eden Rock....just to see! :D

Pierre

Yes that facility is called Eden Rock. We past it on our way to our dive shop. Eden Rock is also a dive shop and I was told they are really good.

I know you said you don't want to do Stingray City but a couple years ago my partner and I were there and rented jet skis. The group was small and there wasn't that many people out there when we got there. Then we rode over to a beach and relaxed there for an hour or so. We did this outside the cruise company and would recommend everyone doing the same. You get more time, a better experience and is normally cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

For novelty's sake, I suggest a quick visit to Hell....:) Not being rude or anything, but it is kinda funny...It's a small town with a post office and amazing rock/larva formations in the rear of the post office..Not to mention the irony of being able to mail a postcard to your best friends "from Hell"...They even have corny little "angel and devil"photo op cutouts that you can stick your head through and take pics.

Not far from there is a pretty decent turtle farm/mini-zoo, and of course, for those that imbibe, The Rumcake factory....

Just make sure you don't accept the gypsy taxi tours unless you really feel comfortable.The people there are really aggressive.

Archived