Buenos Aires Hotel please

Leslieswiger

We stayed at the Kempenski Central in Buenos Aires. The hotels are of the small boutique variety, and the price was reasonable. You can see all their Buenos Aires properties by going to their web site. (3 hotels in BA). Several of our shipmates also stayed there. They will also send a car (25.00) to pick you up at the airport, which was a help to us (seniors). Breakfast was also included. They also called a cab for us to be transported to the ship. Be aware that in BA there are cabs that are not very reliable.

Hi Grace,

We'll be in Buenos Aires in Feb before our cruise and I've been looking at hotels. I'm specifically looking at the Kempinski Hotels, so your post certainly got my attention.

There are 3 Kempinski Hotels in BA and I can't decide which one to select. We like to walk around at night and so I'd like to be in the one that is closest to the Recoleta area and not down any dark little streets, if possible.
Of course, the other consideration is if one of them is a lot nicer than the others. I'd go with the nicest one and then plan on taking a car service back in the evening.

What do you think?

Thanks for your opinion on this.

Jane: At first I picked the Kempenski Park Plaza (I think that is what it is called) near the Recoleta area. It is a nice hotel but a little far from the action of the city scene. Since our group of CC'ers were meeting up at Tortoni (famous cafe) for a bite to eat and a pre cruise gathering we changed to the K Park Central. From there we could walk to the restaurant. Two others stayed at the K near the Recoleta area, and had to take a cab to and from, but they said the hotel was also nice. They were there for 3 days, and we were there just for an overnight. Take care when walking around BA. One man on the CC BB said that he had his Rolex taken from his wrist when he was touring around BA. When we walked to the restaurant there were 6 of us.
The rooms: the hotel was once a lovely town home, then a bank/office building. All marble floors, stairs etc. Oriental rugs on floor in small lobby. High ceilings in room, but room was rather on the small side. Very European flavor. Clean modern bath. Nice breakfast bar.
Another time we stayed at the Hilton, (ship's pre cruise hotel) and it was just like a big hotel here, very modern, but much more pricey. I would certainly stay at the K Central again.

Grace

I forgot to mention this possibility: several in our group of CC'ers took a tour of the city on the day of embarkation. The tour company picked them up at the hotel, gave them a tour of the city, then dropped them off at the ship terminal. I believe the company was PortCompass. We did not take the tour, as we had been to BA twice before and did the tours.

Grace

Grace,

Many thanks for your reply. I'll look into it.

I was in BA once before, 14 years ago on our honeymoon, but I don't recall all that much (hey, I was on my honeymoon!). We stayed at the Claridge, which we loved, but I hear the neighborhood isn't as good anymore. Besides, we loved the Recoleta and would prefer to stay there.

Did you happen to notice where the Marriott is? Turns out I can get a good deal there. But location is key.

Thanks again.

Jane

Jane: I found my map of BA, and there is a Marriott Plaza Hotel right at the beginning of Florida St. (shopping area). That area seems to be the area with the most hotels, and is near the port. The K Park Elegance is listed for the Recoleta area. (Pena st.)
Hope this helps.

Grace

Archived