Can I be a pain? - too long signatures

eventfarm

Should people reduce the size of their signatures to less than 6"?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Should people reduce the size of their signatures to less than 6"?

• Yes, it makes reading the thread easier.
    • Yes, I have sigs turned off because of this and I'd like to turn them back on
    • No, to each his own.
    • I don't care - I have sigs turned off and don't plan on turning them back on.

I leave mine as is... :D

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Huge Sigs are a PITA, and if you have a few cruises under your belt, there's no reason to leave the countdown timer for the ones you're back from up. I know there's a way to limit the number of pictures on a sig (I've been to boards that limit you to 3), and you're limited on the posts to 3 images or something, so it can be done.

It's just a courtesy thing: keep it short and sweet. If you have multiple cruises coming up or a B2B, why not just post the first one, then a sail date for the following ones, and once you get back from that one, pop up the next one?

I'm not a fan of seeing huge sigs, and if you want to post a cruise roll call, don't list them just type them out... I'm a fan of whitespace, but there's a point where going overboard is going overboard.

Well....working all week has kept me behind the times...but I must weigh in here...

Some of us, like me, are here for the fun of it...and most of you, I assure you, have no clue how badly the fun here is needed...so be kind, be patient:) We are here a LOT as you can see, unlike many of you who are soooo annoyed....just let go and have fun, life is too short:D And, after a while, if you are so blessed, you will get it too and have fun here:p

Hi ya Floatie. Having meet you in person, I can say my online impression that you are one of the most fun people around has been confirmed. The life of the party type and someone who wants to make sure everyone else is also having fun.

I think if more were meeting face to face they would find less to complain about and could be a lot more tolerant.

Some signatures are over the top, but then again, it displays an individuals imagination.

I try to be courteous with my sigs. Believe it or not, there are still lots of folks out there with dial-up. And from my past experience, and reason I went cable, dial-up is like crawling through a mud bog. Which means the more graphic content, the longer you're crawling through mud!!!!

I don't know what browser you use, but you can block those in Firefox using the ABP add on.

I know that and I use Firefox. But I would block all the signatures along with the countdown clocks. And some of the siggies are funny and/or entertaining, the others can be scrolled past. And its only the active [ticking off while you watch] countdown clocks that stop the scroll. Some countdown clocks freeze the time at whatever it is when you open the thread. They do not interrupt the scrolling. And the REAL problem with the active clocks is when a person has 3 of them working. Then I have to hit the down arrow about 50 times to get past them.

Dan

honestly.... i tried very hard to not jump in... but are some of you so miserable that you feel the need to jump on someone because they got creative, or expressive in their signature... its thier signature! who cares what it looks like, or how it takes you 1/16'th more of a second to get past thier post...i know they are not supposed to be long... thats a "rule" ok. fine.... then thats a valid point... but to say some of the comments that have been said about this are just too funny in a very sad way....

are you the same people that complain about the content of a radio or tv station instead of just not tuning in or changing the channel??????

How some people can always find a negative in everything they come across makes me feel really sorry for them.

... off the soap box. Live Cruise, BE HAPPY!:D;):rolleyes:

(ps.... oh yea and that 2 year old countdown is from the first time me and my now fiance cruised together... ever think some have a little personal meaning for some people....geeesh)

I've been following this thread from the beginning, and I haven't noticed anyone jumping on someone or being terribly negative. :confused:

Some folks like sigs........others don't........but so far it seems like everyone has been pretty calm about it.

I like seeing the sigs, although I do agree with Dan about those particular ones that tick down the minutes ~ they really slow the scrolling down for me also. I am not a huge fan of the side-by-side clocks either because it makes the post wider than my screen and if I want to read it, I have to scroll sideways. BUT, it's not a big deal.......I still like seeing all the different sigs.

Happy cruising! :cool:

Some signatures are over the top, but then again, it displays an individuals imagination.

I try to be courteous with my sigs. Believe it or not, there are still lots of folks out there with dial-up. And from my past experience, and reason I went cable, dial-up is like crawling through a mud bog. Which means the more graphic content, the longer you're crawling through mud!!!!

When crawling thru the mud bog you get all the free snakes you can eat tho!!

I see you sailed NCL's company yacht, the LEEWARD. We sailed her twice, once was, I think, 97. We took her to Key West for Fantasy Fest.

Dan

When crawling thru the mud bog you get all the free snakes you can eat tho!!

I see you sailed NCL's company yacht, the LEEWARD. We sailed her twice, once was, I think, 97. We took her to Key West for Fantasy Fest.

Dan

Being in the military, USMC and USA, for a combined total of 24 years I did extensive travel, air, land and sea!! So first time the wife suggested a cruise, I said been there done that. She said, but not in civilian clothes. So she booked the Leeward, a short 4 day cruise. Told me if I didn't like it I never had to go again, but I couldn't stop her from going. She had cruised

3 - 4 times before we met.

Well needless to say from my sig, I too love cruising. Leeward was a pretty neat ship.

In addition to the long signature that some people have, sometimes people copy(cut) and paste other's long post several times when they respond to a thread only to write a two sentence response. I have been a member of this site since 2001 and it has not always been this way. I know that it is a result of technology. I don't mean to gripe.

ok, by your rationalization....

Let's say I was at a nice dining experience where there are official and unofficial "rules of conduct". And in walked one of the "cool kids" (I can only assume that since you "are here a LOT" that makes you part of the In Crowd) who is blasting drunk - being very loud and crazy. You're saying that this "cool kid" is just having much needed fun.

I say that the blasting drunk is infringing on the rules of conduct as expected in that environment. That drunk is affecting me and my experience.... It doesn't mean that I'm not having fun, it's just that my way of having fun is different.

Of course, I'm not calling anyone here a drunk! Just trying to illustrate a point.

My original post was asking if there was a rule. I'm really surprised that no moderators have taken the time to explain the rules, but from what I've heard here in this thread that there is a self-policing rule to keep your sigs within reason. According to the poll, the majority (not overwhelming majority, but a majority none-the-less) of people agree that sigs should be kept short.

So, thanks so much for those of you who've taken the time to clean up your sigs. I have already seen a difference on some of them. The effort you took is really appreciated.

To those who feel that they must have a longer sig than anyone else, you might consider exploring why you feel that you have to have that when the majority of users are asking you to tone it down. Do you live outside of the unspoken rules? Are you above self-policing? Do you have something to prove? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm really trying to find a real reason that some feel the need to go overboard (;)) with their sigs.

For those who say that they need to remember special moments, etc, there are blogs and websites for that. Put a few lines and then point readers in the direction of the website. I actually do visit a lot of the websites that people have in their posts. I personally use Flickr and LOVE that I can share all of my travel pics that way.

This is all just my $.02 (USD), but based on the poll, I'm thinking that there are others that feel the same way.

Actually, most everyone here is a cool kid no matter how much they are here or not....me, I am just a mom whose son died three years ago, and this was the place that helped me get back to some kind of life.

Your correlation is way out of whack, in my opinion. You have a tool to use if you don't want to see any sigs, or the sigs of any one in particular, just ignore that member...my sig is mostly banners of CC group cruises:rolleyes: and a banner pic that was a gift from another CC member. I am sure it is not violating any rule. Your opinion does not a rule make.

Just my .02 to mingle with yours. Welcome to CC:)

In addition to the long signature that some people have, sometimes people copy(cut) and paste other's long post several times when they respond to a thread only to write a two sentence response. I have been a member of this site since 2001 and it has not always been this way. I know that it is a result of technology. I don't mean to gripe.

I do that often. [LIKE NOW!:D]

Actually all you have to do is click on the "quote" button. If I'm responding to post # 23 and my post will be # 146, how would anyone know which post I'm answering without their quote? Sometimes I do edit the quote down to the sentence/statement I'm answering. But that's not always possible or fair.

I have seen some people get VERY hot over a post right after theirs, when the new post was in regard to someone else way back in the thread.

Dan

I don't care about signatures but some countdown clocks are a real problem.

Don't worry Dan, in less than a week i won't have 2 clocks:(

I usually don't put this type on but for some reason i couldn't get the smaller usual ones that i use to come up, i usually only use these for my myspace.

Archived