Time to Boogie!!!

AFT_LOVER

NCL is now booking concert cruises which I see as another way of spoiling us with some great live enertainment.

The first, per my TA is on Jewel, as they host the new adventure called "Ships and Dip" from Feb. 1-7, 2009. A West Caribbean cruise sailing RT Miami with the Barenaked Ladies, Great Big Sea, The New Odds, Boothby Graffoe and The Weakerthans. This is a five-day cruise sailing to Cozumel and Great Stirrup Cay. I am talking about doing this one.

Norwegian Dawn has the 2nd one. It is called ‘Cayamo: A Journey Through Song’ featuring Indigo Girls, Lyle Lovett, Patty Griffin, John Hiatt, Shawn Colvin, Brandi Carlile and other performers. The cruise is Eastern Caribbean itinerary round-trip from Miami to Samana, St. Thomas, Tortola and Great Stirrup Cay. February 28-March 7 will be the date for you to book either of these fun cruises.

I bet these will not be cheap & if they are better grab it since it will be announced in newspapers, magazines, even TV ads. CWA folks will probably eat up all the suites for this East Caribbean cruise. I am so glad NCL is doing this, since talent on cruises have been pretty lame without the production shows which I love. So as I hear more I will post.

NCL is now booking concert cruises which I see as another way of spoiling us with some great live enertainment.

The first, per my TA is on Jewel, as they host the new adventure called "Ships and Dip" from Feb. 1-7, 2009. A West Caribbean cruise sailing RT Miami with the Barenaked Ladies, Great Big Sea, The New Odds, Boothby Graffoe and The Weakerthans. This is a five-day cruise sailing to Cozumel and Great Stirrup Cay. I am talking about doing this one.

Norwegian Dawn has the 2nd one. It is called ‘Cayamo: A Journey Through Song’ featuring Indigo Girls, Lyle Lovett, Patty Griffin, John Hiatt, Shawn Colvin, Brandi Carlile and other performers. The cruise is Eastern Caribbean itinerary round-trip from Miami to Samana, St. Thomas, Tortola and Great Stirrup Cay. February 28-March 7 will be the date for you to book either of these fun cruises.

I bet these will not be cheap & if they are better grab it since it will be announced in newspapers, magazines, even TV ads. CWA folks will probably eat up all the suites for this East Caribbean cruise. I am so glad NCL is doing this, since talent on cruises have been pretty lame without the production shows which I love. So as I hear more I will post.

This bugs me b/c this was the cruise I wanted to book 2 months ago, it was a 5 day out of miami on the jewel,but when I called my pcc she couldnt find the cruise although it was listed inthe brochure, obviosly b/c it was chartered. Had I known I would have choosen this sailing still, but I just made final payment on my cruise yesterday so I do not think I could tansfer.............ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

michigan tim,

One time we were on the Dawn and they had on a special group with its own entertainment bands. They were selling tickets to those who hadn't booked through them at $175 for the week and this was several years ago.

It was actually kind of annoying as they took over Spinnakers every night so other guest activities had to be moved to less desirable venues. This was fine if you booked through them and came on especially for their music offerings, but not so great for the rest of the pax.

This will be, I believe, the third Ships and Dip cruise, but the first time it is on NCL. The previous poster is correct - they book through the promoter only. From what I recall, the prices weren't all that outrageous either (unlike the winter olympic floating hotel!).

It would be nice to have a place to find these chartered cruises in advance, as I usually find out after other vacation plans are made.

There was a thread, some time ago, on Ships and Dip - and I know there are several CC folks attending!

Happy sails!

The cruise Ships n Dip V is offered on it's own website and currently is advertised as only 100 cabins left. To the best of my knowledge, this is a charter (same as when Rosie O charted the Dawn a few years ago) and not necessarily an NCL sponsored theme cruise.

Every year a different cruise line is offered for the Ships N Dip group (one year it was Carnival IIRC)..

will not need production shows. Seatrader news has it listed also just now from their email to me.

AFT_LOVER' date='

What do you mean by, "without the production shows which I love"?:confused:

We're just off the Dawn and they had 3 Jean Ann Ryan productions. The Gem has theirs, the Jewel theirs, etc. etc.

Which ship has dropped the shows?[/quote']

It would be nice to have a place to find these chartered cruises in advance, as I usually find out after other vacation plans are made.

Sixthman books many of the music cruises. Register on their website and you'll get advance notice of the sailings. The prices are much higher since they have quite a few acts to pay. Despite that, some of the cruises, like Rock Boat sell out very quickly. I would love to sail a Cayamo cruise some day.

AFT_LOVER' date='

What do you mean by, "without the production shows which I love"?:confused:

We're just off the Dawn and they had 3 Jean Ann Ryan productions. The Gem has theirs, the Jewel theirs, etc. etc.

Which ship has dropped the shows?[/quote']

Aft_lover is referring to when a ship is chartered I believe. None of the ships have dropped the production shows on a regular cruise. She is just referring to when the ship is being chartered.

When a company charters the entire ship they may choose to not have the production shows during their use of the ship and provide their own entertainment. It is up to the charter company to do what they wish. On Rosie's last cruise they had one of the production shows but provided the rest of the entertainment themselves. In the case of Sixthman, they are providing the entertainment - Barenaked Ladies etc. They may chose to have or not have a production show during their 5 night charter, it's their call and has already been written into their contract months ago.

• Administrators

Just to summarize, NCL has not created these "concert cruises," they aren't new this year, the fact that they are being offered isn't "breaking news," and the sailings have already been heavily promoted (though not by NCL) for months. They have also been discussed here at CC since last spring (at least the Ships & Dip one) -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=773194&highlight=barenaked+ladies for instance.

As others have posted both the referenced cruises (Ships & Dip V, and Cayamo) are charters by Sixthman, an Atlanta based event promoter. The same promoter also books the very popular "Mayercraft Carrier" charter cruises, and several others, by the way. In the past, and again this year, Carnival ships have also been chartered for these offerings.

The only thing new for '09 is using NCL for two of the sailings, and sales began months ago -- if I recall correctly my opportunity to book access code (opportunities to book these very popular cruises are prioritized to past customers first, etc) let me access the booking engine in July sometime and by then pretty much all the suites, balconies and insides were booked for Ships & Dip V. We couldn't make the schedule work anyway as it turned out, but wish we could have!

If you want accurate information on these charter cruises, how to book them, and what will be offered onboard it can be found at http://www.sixthman.net/events

Hurricane Sally,

Yes, I understand that now. When we were on the Dawn one time when they had a bunch of bands sponsored by some outside promoter, the ship was not on charter. Regular pax were not entitled to participate in the Spinnaker events but could for a hefty fee.

All production shows were held. But with a charter, one or more of them may very well be dropped as crew mom points out.

Here you're talking about a full charter. CC has had several articles on themed cruises including music, and, MichelleP is correct, they are nothing new.

The term CHARTER is not visible in any news releases. I dd not give the named TA since the rules of CC state it.

Obvious is production shows are not needed for a rock concert cruise but folks misread it to what they think it says. That is OK since I corrected it sooner than ignore it.

So let us be a family of info for people and not acting like grade schoolers who are learning how to be friendly.

The cruise Ships n Dip V is offered on it's own website and currently is advertised as only 100 cabins left. To the best of my knowledge, this is a charter (same as when Rosie O charted the Dawn a few years ago) and not necessarily an NCL sponsored theme cruise.

Every year a different cruise line is offered for the Ships N Dip group (one year it was Carnival IIRC)..

http://www.travelpulse.com/Resources/Editorial.aspx?n=48546

Archived