Best place for ceviche in Costa Maya or Mahaual

Island Annie

We had some really good conch and shrimp ceviche from the restaurant right in front of "Hotel Mahahual". I liked it a lot and my son is still taking about it 7 months later.

This is the restaurant:

13restaurantmahahaul.jpg

Larger image

I know it doesn't look like much of a restaurant, but the food was delicious.

For my money and I live here the best ceviche is at Oxtankha right in the centre of town. Tell them Douglas recommended it. I take all my customers there. They have conch, conch and shrimp or conch, shrimp & octopus depending on the availability. Ask for TIO and he will make sure you get some of the best ceviche I have tasted.

The restaurant we ate at was just in front of Hotel Mahahual.

12hotelmahahual.jpg

I didn't get to eat at the restaurant that Nitro is recommending, but I think it is this one:

15anotherrestaurant.jpg

His recommendation is definitely more informed than mine, but I still think the ceviche we had was quite fine indeed. I'd like the chance to return and try them both.

Both places were pretty close to where the taxis drop you off. They will both be easy to find by walking along the main "street"

Larger copies of those photos are Here.

mmmmmm, conch, shrimp & octopus ceviche sounds delich!! Might have to try one at each place, and post my review when I get back;-)

Nitro: I'll be sure to ask for Tio, and tell him you sent me.

Bruce R: Thanks for the pics.At least now I know what I'm looking for.

Nitro: Have any local pics to share?

• 3 weeks later...

Ceviches is traditionally raw conch chopped into small pieces. It is then marinated with lime juice, onions, tomatoes alittle pepper, and cilantro. After 20 minutes of soaking in the marinade the Ceviche is ready to eat. It is then served up with toasted triangles of tortillas and some chilli. They also add shrimp to this or octopus.

Ceviches is traditionally raw conch chopped into small pieces. It is then marinated with lime juice, onions, tomatoes alittle pepper, and cilantro. After 20 minutes of soaking in the marinade the Ceviche is ready to eat. It is then served up with toasted triangles of tortillas and some chilli. They also add shrimp to this or octopus.

And it is GOOD to eat. Not at all "squishey" like raw fish and not rubbery like clams can be. 23 more days and I'm in Cozumel. Ceviche is definitely on my list.

Archived