Mr Barbados-Bathsheba Beach

rduke

We are cruising on Destiny in Febuary and looking for a beach that has some nice waves(were told that most of the beaches in ST Thomas, Dominica, and Aruba were very calm without much in wave action and I say what good is the beach without waves as you could find that at any lake!) We were told that Bathsheba is where we should go. Can you give me a little more disciption of this beach,,,size, quality of sand, facilities available etc. Is there a Glory tour that allows you time to stop and swim there? I am not a surf boarder just like to jump around in the waves abit so monster waves would not be for me either. Thanks for your help!!:)

We are cruising on Destiny in Febuary and looking for a beach that has some nice waves(were told that most of the beaches in ST Thomas, Dominica, and Aruba were very calm without much in wave action and I say what good is the beach without waves as you could find that at any lake!) We were told that Bathsheba is where we should go. Can you give me a little more disciption of this beach,,,size, quality of sand, facilities available etc. Is there a Glory tour that allows you time to stop and swim there? I am not a surf boarder just like to jump around in the waves abit so monster waves would not be for me either. Thanks for your help!!:)

Yes, you heard correctly.

Bathsheba is the surf capitol of the western hemisphere (well, excluding Hawaii!).

From the SE coast around Crane Bay to the East/NE coast up to Gays Cove offer big waves. Most center on the Bathsheba area of St. Joseph Parish which includes Tent Bay, the Soup Bowl, Martins Bay and Three Bays Rock.

The “beach” is really a five-mile stretch of sand with different names. There is little there as far as amenities. You’ll find local vendors with beverages and small outlets that rent surf equipment, but little more on the beaches themselves.

The sand is beautiful white and the sea, Caribbean blue. Some big waves, undertow and wind on most days. But if you like excitement, this is where you need to go.

I know some of the tours go to this area, but I doubt they allow you time to swim. I think the liability is too great. It’s a bus or cab ride over and you’re on your own type of deal.

There's not a year that goes by that we don't read about some poor soul that drowned in the surf.

Here’s a link that will give you some pictures and a little description of what you are going to experience:

Find it HERE.

Questions?

Hey Barbados, thanks for the info on Bethsheba...sounds like more beach(waves) than I was looking for....don't want to be one of those poor soals that you read about!!:rolleyes:

That area is quite a challenge, even for the best swimmers.

Try Crane Beach in St. Philip, it's a little clamer and only about 30 minutes from the pier.

Access through the Crane hotel and pay a small charge that is credited if you have lunch or drinks there. Or, access the beach to the left of the hotel over the high-water line and some small rocks.

It's one of the ten best beaches in the world and I think you'll be pleased.

Best wishes for a great (and safe) time on the island. :)

Crane Beach, Barbados

crane5.jpg

Hi Mr. Barbados and Rduke

Mr Barbados is right on the ball Crane is definitely the best choice for you.

Bathsheba is surfer’s turf. I spent many of my summers down there on a board myself Loved it

My family own beach houses there and I was fortunate to have the run of the land forest rivers ocean hillsides. We surfed; fished hiked, climbed trees caught crabs had bonfires told stories

My mother spent allots of time at Crane in her youth and loved to jump around in the waves me I prefer to ride on top

Barbados is so small I have family that live at the Crane to LOL or I have a large family truthfully it is a bit of both

Have a great time in Barbados Duke

Archived