Galveston Customs

warram

For those of you who recented returned to Galveston Port, can you tell me if the wait at customs was long? On a previous cruise, going through Galveston customs was a nightmare. We waited hours. Has it improved? We are returning to Galveston on RCCL Voyager transatlantic in December and wanted to know how much time we should allow.

Thanks!

... We are returning to Galveston on RCCL Voyager transatlantic in December and wanted to know how much time we should allow...

Your disembarkation will be the FIRST for RCI at their Galveston cruise terminal since Ike and the damage he caused. Also, the outsourced cruise ship ground handling company RCI uses is in the process of hiring and training additional staff for part time/intermittent positions at the Port of Galveston operation. This includes check-in staff, directional staff, airport staff and a disembarkation team who will come early to meet the ship and assist guests finding their luggage and departing the area.

Please be patient if there are any unforeseen problems with the docking of the ship, the ground handling company employees as well as the Customs agents. Everyone will be trying to do the best they can to make it a speedy experience for you.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

We've sailed out of Galveston 4 times. We were on Voyager last March and although it did take a little longer, it still was not over 30 minutes. Much of the wait came from international passengers that had to be fingerprinted. That definitely slowed the line down. However, I think everyone working disembarkation did a great job. It was easier for us to find our luggage when we disembarked in Galveston than it was in Ft. Lauderdale!

I would allow for quite a bit of time. Although the ship should come in early to counteract first day glitches, we are dealing with new staff, a new terminal and A LOT of international travelers. Although the new terminal features extra customs spots, the large number of international travelers and new staff can slow the process down.

Pack some patience!

Good information in this post.

I am on Conquest in January and both ships will be in port at the same time.

To those who are experienced with all of this (esp with having the 2 ships in port at the same time) what time should i come down to the port on Sunday?

What time should I be expecting to be in my car come the following Sunday when we return. If I know ahead of time that it could possibly be hours then I won't be as surprised and shell-shocked and I will just go with the flow...

thanks in advance and thank you for all the helpful info

We were in our car heading home by 10:30 a.m. after arrival on the Voyager. The one thing we noticed is so many passengers arriving early and everyone trying to arrive and depart the terminal at the same time. That definitely caused some chaos. I had never really experienced that as much as we did traveling on Voyager. Probably because there are so many people to disembark.

Of course traveling in January you are more susceptible to hitting cold fronts on the way back to Galveston. We hit one in January and had 18 ft. seas and again in March with 18 ft. seas. That can also delay your arrival back in port. I will say the 18 - 20 ft. seas were much easier to endure on the big Voyager vs. Ecstasy!!!

For those of you who recented returned to Galveston Port, can you tell me if the wait at customs was long? On a previous cruise, going through Galveston customs was a nightmare. We waited hours. Has it improved? We are returning to Galveston on RCCL Voyager transatlantic in December and wanted to know how much time we should allow.

Thanks!

You may have experienced one of the biggest problems.

The Federal Customs personnel did not show up on time in Galveston upon the ships arrival in the morning.

Thanks!

We cruised Nov. 1-6 out of Galveston. It didn't take long to get through customs.

Archived