Uh oh! Fin problem!

PurpleCow

I had surgery on one foot in August. I thought I would be completely recovered before we leave on Tuesday for 26 days TR Miami to the Amazon. This evening I tried on DH's fins. His are larger than mine and he no longer snorkels. No go. I could get it on, but it was pretty painful. Now, my question is, can I cut out half circles on both sides of the foot bed, making it sort of like a t-strap shoe? I mean, I know I can do it, and I know I'll have basically ruined the fin, but will the fin still be usable? Or, conversely, I'm a good swimmer and a better floater; can I snorkel without fins, or with just 1?

I had surgery on one foot in August. I thought I would be completely recovered before we leave on Tuesday for 26 days TR Miami to the Amazon. This evening I tried on DH's fins. His are larger than mine and he no longer snorkels. No go. I could get it on, but it was pretty painful. Now, my question is, can I cut out half circles on both sides of the foot bed, making it sort of like a t-strap shoe? I mean, I know I can do it, and I know I'll have basically ruined the fin, but will the fin still be usable? Or, conversely, I'm a good swimmer and a better floater; can I snorkel without fins, or with just 1?

Don't try it. You'll only go around in circles! :p

The cut outs might make it difficult to keep the fin on your foot, but try it anyway.

If that doesn't work, you'll be ok without fins when the current isn't too strong.

I'm guessing you had a bunionectomy and either a tailors bunionectomy or hammertoe correction on the 5th toe from the description? If so then just make a half circle cut in the fin over those areas so it will push out and not cause pressure. Don't actually cut out a section. The heel area and the top of the arch area should keep the fin on while snorkeling.

I'm guessing you had a bunionectomy and either a tailors bunionectomy or hammertoe correction on the 5th toe from the description? If so then just make a half circle cut in the fin over those areas so it will push out and not cause pressure. Don't actually cut out a section. The heel area and the top of the arch area should keep the fin on while snorkeling.
Yes, bunionectomy and tailors bunionectomy. Strangely, it's the tailors that still giving me trouble. The only "shoes" I'm comfortable in are my Crocs Mammoths, the fleecy lined ones, that I got just for this purpose, and flip flips which aren't really comfortable but they're wearable. I had to buy some fancy ones for the dining room. I guess I'll be in the gym with one sneaker and one surgical boot. Bummer.

The more I look at the fins, I think it's the hard sides that will be more of a problem than the soft shoe part and I don't know if I'll be able to cut that part at all. I do tend to drift away when I'm snorkeling, or floating on my back, and find myself quite a distance from where I thought I was. Fins would definitely make the swim back a lot quicker. I'm so disappointed. This is the first chance I've had to do some serious snorkeling in quite a long time and mioght be the last. We don't generally cruise the Caribbean, though that might change with the economy.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I see you're from Orlando, FL and know for certain there are a number of dive centers and dive retail shops near you. Have you considered going to one of these and explain your condition to see what they recommend? They're professionals when it comes to fitting fins and they might just be able to see where your discomfort spots are and can make recommendations on what can be cut away or padded somehow to make the fin more comfortable for you without effecting the structural integrity of the fin. This of course should be free. Some shops, like my local dive center even have the equipment to do this. Plus you might find that they have some old rentals that they wouldn't mind cutting up to make sure what's proposed works. :) You sound fit enough to snorkel and I'd hate to think you'd miss out on the fun that can be had with this excellent sport without at least talking to a professional to see if there's something that can be done. Good luck!

Randall

Randall, somehow I never even thought of that. Thank you! I have only 3 days, but I do have 3 days. I was thiking of going to a dive shop anyway to look into getting a dry snorkel. While I'm a good swimmer, raised a couple of blocks from the ocean on south Miami Beach, I never like to dive all the way under the water with a snorkel on and I'd like to be able to do that. I've got a new waterproof camera (to 10 feet) that I want to put through its paces.

Randall, somehow I never even thought of that. Thank you! I have only 3 days, but I do have 3 days. I was thiking of going to a dive shop anyway to look into getting a dry snorkel. While I'm a good swimmer, raised a couple of blocks from the ocean on south Miami Beach, I never like to dive all the way under the water with a snorkel on and I'd like to be able to do that. I've got a new waterproof camera (to 10 feet) that I want to put through its paces.

:) Have a great time. And of course we're all jealous (I don't get to go to the Caribbean until Feb. :().

Randall

Archived