diabled traveler

mrspaper

OSJ is 400 years old....much of it historic, so it does not meet the ADA regs.

But you can get around pretty well if you are motorized (there are hills, so pushing wheelchairs is not fun).

The trolley's are handicapped accessible (with a motorized lift).

You can see much of the sites: you can get into the forts, (ramp accesses) and some museums. The Paseo de la Princesa is all one level. The Cathedral has a side entrance without steps (I think).

Restaurants/shops and bars...... I think most have a step up to get in. There are some street side tables for al fresco eating/drink.

I don't know about tour companies specifically for wheelchair bound people....but perhaps contact Jose at Segway. Maybe you can tag along with him on a tour (he needs ramps and knows safe streets for his Segways). http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-segway-tour/

The Segway office is very close to the pier. About a block and a wide sidewalk along the seawall available. OSJ is very hilly and steep! Make sure you are fully charged before you get off the ship. I think contacting Jose at the Segway office is a great idea. He took us along a route that included a tour of the old city walls and gave us history of the area. I don't know think that you will have much success manuvering along the back streets. There are sidewalks, but the curbs are high, sidewalks crowded and I don't recall ramps. Have a great time and let us know what you decide to do!

Which ship are you cruising on, and will you be here for a day stop or embarkation? What time is your ship in port?

As long as you dock at pier 4, there is a bunch of stuff close by, and then the trolley to help you move around town.

The Paseo de La Princesa is about 1000 ft away from Pier 4. Large sidewalk along the water. You can stop into the PR Tourism office and Don Q (both have ramps ) and have some free drinks.

The trolley stop is right there as you exit the ship at Pier 4. I would take them to the forts- easier than maneovering the streets. They close at 6pm though....

Next time I am in OSJ, I will look around for accessability. They are making the main historic area pedestrian only (no cars). They have started widening the sidewaks and making the streets thinner. These new sidewalks will have ramps. But it will be a long time to complete the project. Until then, as was stated, you won't easily manage the streets where most of the stores are on (Cristo St.)

I looked yesterday. There are ramps at the corners of all the streets within a few blocks of the cruise pier. They can easily manuever along the waterfront, and along the Paseo de la Princesa.

Taking the trolley to the forts is do-able and he can go there.

It is just in that shopping zone where the side walks are so thin that he may have some problems.

Archived