Shore Excursions - Which Ones?

BusterJr

Hi all,

We are scheduled to cruise on the Conquest on 12/7/08. This is our very first cruise and we are excited.

I posted on the Conquest Roll Call for our cruise and can't get any replies. Not much activity there. So, I will ask here. We will be visiting Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozemel. We have never been to any of these.

A couple of questions for those who have taken this cruise previously. We would like to take a couple of excursions while in the Ports of Call. We are both in our 60's, we love to walk along the beaches and wade in the surf. We do not snorkle or scuba dive. We don't kayak and my SO doesn't like river rafting. Sightseeing is fun and shopping is OK. I like margaritas and my SO drinks wine. We are on a fixed income so funds are somewhat limited. Oh, and we like to geocache, for those of you who know what that is.

Keeping these facts in mind, what do you experienced cruisers think? What are some of the tours that we can take?

Any info you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Paul & Jan :confused::confused:

I don't get off the ship at Jamaica anymore, as far as Cozumel, its been years since I've been back there.

We usually take the Grand Cayman Island tour with Sting Ray City. This one takes you to the Turtle Farm and also Hell :D

Its a great tour, its around 6 hours, the website says 4.5 hours

Cayman tour here: http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?region=CW&portcode=CAY&excursionname=Discover+Cayman+-+Stingrays,+Hell+%26+Turtle+Farm&excursioncode=417016

Fred

We are long time cruisers, also in our 60's and our favorite tour we have ever done is swimming with the stingrays in Cayman. The water is not deep and everyone I have ever talked to loved it. Cozumel, there are several tours that will tgive you a tour of the island as well as stopping for a couple of hours at a beach. If you just want to go to the beach, you can get a taxi at the port that will take you at a very reasonable price. As far as Jamaica,we love it, but a lot of people are afraid to get off the ship. We have probably been a dozen times and never had a problem, just stay in the reccomended shopping areas and you should be fine. Also Dunn's river fall is GREAT fun if you are in fairly good shape. We did it when we were in our late 50's and loved it. The only problem is it a long bus ride from Montego Bay, but a tour you will never forget. Whatever you decide, HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

Hi all,

We are scheduled to cruise on the Conquest on 12/7/08. This is our very first cruise and we are excited.

I posted on the Conquest Roll Call for our cruise and can't get any replies. Not much activity there. So, I will ask here. We will be visiting Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozemel. We have never been to any of these.

A couple of questions for those who have taken this cruise previously. We would like to take a couple of excursions while in the Ports of Call. We are both in our 60's, we love to walk along the beaches and wade in the surf. We do not snorkle or scuba dive. We don't kayak and my SO doesn't like river rafting. Sightseeing is fun and shopping is OK. I like margaritas and my SO drinks wine. We are on a fixed income so funds are somewhat limited. Oh, and we like to geocache, for those of you who know what that is.

Keeping these facts in mind, what do you experienced cruisers think? What are some of the tours that we can take?

Try Googling the different port Ie.Cozumel shore excursions. or, Cozumel tourismj. Do this foreach destination. I'msure you willfind tons of ideas that may of your liking.:)

You might also find more help searching in the Ports of Call section on the CC boards; at least that's where I usually find very helpful stuff on the specific ports. If you don't do the stingrays in GC, you can go to the 7 Mile Beach, specifically Sea Grape Beach. It's free, beautiful, can rent chairs/umbrella, do watersports, and they have a little bar & grill there. Costs about $5.00 pp each way from port. No matter what you do... I'm sure you will LOVE it and become hooked to cruising!

Hi all,

Welcome to cruising!

First of all you will have a great time cruising. We are pretty new also also. We just did the same cruise in Oct. and going again in Feb.:) I can give you a few suggestions.

Jamaica- We did Sunset Beach which was nice but they recently went up on their prices from $ 40. pp to $64 pp. We will probably go through a tour co. in Feb. Check out the port of call boards here they have alot of info there.

Grand Cayman- This is were the water is the most beautiful in my opinion. Husband did the stingray tour and enjoyed it very much. For a beach day check out 7 mile beach. Also try there rum cake. Yummy!

Cozumel- Here we have been to Playa Mia resort and Chankanaab Park. If you just want to stroll on the beach try Paradise beach or Mr. Sancho's.They are both free to get in. They also both have websites you can check into. There is always shopping near the ports.

On the ship be sure to try eating in the dining room.The food is really good and the service is wonderful. There is so much to say about cruising I could be here all day talking about it. If you have any questions the people here on CC are fantastic. They will help you out in any way they can. Just ask away. Have a great time.:D

Thanks for all of the replies. Since we are new to cruising, we just want to make sure we get the most bang for our bucks.

Is it best to make reservations ahead of time or can we wait til we get on the ship?

We will continue to peruse this board. Lots of good info on here.

Thanks again,

Paul & Jan;)

I highly recommend the following tours, which we did when we cruised on the Conquest in Jan 08:

Jamaica- Used A-Z Planner and did a private tour with Clive who took us to YS Falls and the Pelican Bar. Clive was a wonderful driver and very attentive. We were 1 hour late getting off the boat and he was still waiting for us!

Cayman- Nativeway's Rays, Reef and Rum Point Excursion. This is also a wonderful, well planned excursion. You get to sail to see the rays, snorkle and enjoy the beach!

Cozumel- Nachi Cocum- worth every penny and very relaxing-beautiful beach and a very friendly and helpful service.

We booked all the above before our trip..

I second JJMM

Nachi Cocum in Coz - All inclusive beach - drinks, food - peaceful - not a lot of people - and excellent service to boot. If you are looking for a quality spot to have a beach/water day...NC!!

NATIVEWAYS - Reef, Rum, Stingrays! GREAT CHOICE - but this company DOES sell out! Second choice would be Captain Marvin...

Jamaica - havent been there for a while - and one cant really go wrong with DUNNS falls - but its usually packed with people. Relaxing - slow - easygoing - try a raft trip down the river...(havent done it yet, but my bff did and I am looking forward to going back.) Not a hot party zone...save that for NC!!

Archived