Port in Charleston S.C. Procedure

Randus62

We are book for a cruise on Majesty out of Charleston S.C. I understand if you are parking your car, you drive your luggage to the front first, then park and take a shuttle back to the front. Can someone who has been there give me a clearer picture of the procudure? Thanks!

If so then they have changed since last year. then you drove into the muddy parking lot and got in line to give over your luggage in a tent, then you took the shuttle to the building. I travel on a scooter and they could not take it on the shuttle and I had to cross the muddy field in my scooter and meet my husband at the building where we got in more lines. It was a chaotic mess and the worst port I have sailed from which is saying something.

I hope they have in fact improved it since then.

I has been a few years since I sailed out of Charleston, but we went ahead and parked and carried our luggage to the terminal. It wasn't very far - but I think we had a handicapped tag. There are also shuttles that will take you and your luggage to the terminal.

Okay, let's see how many different answers you can get.....

When we cruised out of Charleston we stopped our car in between carts of luggage and luggage handler guys. They took our luggage and put it on the carts. We drove on into a huge terminal parking building and parked our car. Walked to door of terminal and caught a shuttle to terminal to begin check-in.

Be sure to put your luggage tags on before you drive into the terminal area. Otherwise they direct your car aside for you to do so and then you have to get back into the line.

At end of cruise we had to get our luggage, put it on shuttle and then ride shuttle to the huge parking terminal.

I have to agree with BananaAnna on this one! When we went, we took a shuttle from the hotel and drove into the luggage drop off tent/area (in a parking lot a little ways up from the terminal building). Then you walk (short walk - 1 minute) to a place to wait for a shuttle to take you to the terminal building. It's only a 2 minute (if that) shuttle ride, but, for security reasons, you just can't walk there.

For people driving in, you drive your cars to the luggage drop off, drive over to parking and walk back to the waiting area for the shuttle to the terminal building. When we were there, they had lots of shuttles running from parking to the waiting area as well.

For us, it was a very smooth boarding process. I also have to agree with BananaAnna, that you should have your luggage tags with you and also have your boarding pass and ID out. On our shuttle from the hotel, one couple was unprepared and the whole shuttle had to stop and wait 15 minutes to get luggage tags (there was a little line there!).

Randy & Stella- keep asking as cruises start to leave from Charleston (the current cruise, returning today, is the first). We were on the repo (11/1-11/15) that brought the Majesty into Charleston. Our porter grumbled (good-naturedly) that he wasn't sure where to go (for taxis) because they had "changed everything" from previous years. It was a long walk (over very rough terrain, some sidewalk, some mud, some broken asphalt) to reach the parking lot with the taxis. Although very confusing, the port did have a lot of people outside directing us (and the confused porters LOL). (And thankfully we didn't try to carry all our luggage ourselves!)

So if embarkation is anything like dis-embarkation (as far as the port facilities are concerned), allow enough time and a healthy dose of patience.

If so then they have changed since last year. then you drove into the muddy parking lot and got in line to give over your luggage in a tent, then you took the shuttle to the building. I travel on a scooter and they could not take it on the shuttle and I had to cross the muddy field in my scooter and meet my husband at the building where we got in more lines. It was a chaotic mess and the worst port I have sailed from which is saying something.

I hope they have in fact improved it since then.

We do it that way so you will visit but not decide to stay! lol

I'm wondering how to handle this situation, given we're neither parking, nor taking a shuttle from a hotel...

We have a close friend who lives in Charleston, and is gracious enough to have offered to allow us to park at her house, and drive us to the port.

Exactly where would she take us to drop our luggage, consisting of one garment bag, one suitcase, and two carry-ons? We would neither need to park anywhere, nor take a shuttle, so do we just drop our luggage somewhere, and then have her drive us to the terminal, or what?

Less than a week to go, so fast response from those who are knowledgeable would be really helpful!

Much thanks!

I'm wondering how to handle this situation, given we're neither parking, nor taking a shuttle from a hotel...

We have a close friend who lives in Charleston, and is gracious enough to have offered to allow us to park at her house, and drive us to the port.

Exactly where would she take us to drop our luggage, consisting of one garment bag, one suitcase, and two carry-ons? We would neither need to park anywhere, nor take a shuttle, so do we just drop our luggage somewhere, and then have her drive us to the terminal, or what?

Less than a week to go, so fast response from those who are knowledgeable would be really helpful!

Much thanks!

When we went out in May there was a port official at the gate, the cars were lined up along the street until the gate opened. There was a seperate place for taxis and drop offs, but I am not sure because we had our car. Also I did not see any mud, nicest parking facility I have seen guess Tampa and Port C. Parking must B real dumps lol.

Much thanks!

About 2 years ago i had some relatives that left their car at our house and I drove them to the port and picked them up. I just got in the "regular" line and when we got towards the front we were directed to the drop-off for luggage... they got out also and I was directed back out of the port. Picking up seemed a little more confusing... I may suggest a cab back to the house instead of making them wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm signing up for this thread and hoping to get lots of info from the people who have recently cruised out of Charleston. We won't have a car and assume we will arrive by taxi (or hotel shuttle if we find one).

What time did you arrive at the port and then get on the ship?

Sounds like the luggage dropoff and terminal are in 2 different areas? True?

Thanks,

Diane

I'm signing up for this thread and hoping to get lots of info from the people who have recently cruised out of Charleston. We won't have a car and assume we will arrive by taxi (or hotel shuttle if we find one).

What time did you arrive at the port and then get on the ship?

Sounds like the luggage dropoff and terminal are in 2 different areas? True?

Thanks,

Diane

Okay, Diane, here's how it wurynt:

We were driven by our friend to the port, and the port official directed us to the entry line, where our tix and passports were checked. We were then directed to the luggage drop-off, and from there, we were directed to the passenger drop-off point. We took our carry-ons into the line, went into the port terminal building. At that point it was 11:51 AM. (I checked my watch.) We showed our tix and pports, and went through security, into the boarding line (the kind that doubles back on itself many times) and were directed by cruiseline personnel to the computers where our boarding pass cards were generated (with our names, cabin #, etc) and then we went out to the boarding gantry. I can't think of a better name for it, because we had to climb from dock level to the deck 5 entry. We walked aboard, had our cards scanned and our passports checked once again, and at that point it was 2:12 PM. Not bad considering the number of passengers we were among.

. . . for current info, especially for the times. Am looking forward to other postings to see if it usually takes 2 hr. to get through the line. We'll have 2 young children in tow and that would be a very LONG wait for them.

Is it better to arrive earlier for off loading our luggage? What time do they allow lines to form?

I am so grateful for CC folk who will take the time to post and help the rest of us out! THANKS!!!!

:) ninkb

. . . for current info, especially for the times. Am looking forward to other postings to see if it usually takes 2 hr. to get through the line. We'll have 2 young children in tow and that would be a very LONG wait for them.

Is it better to arrive earlier for off loading our luggage? What time do they allow lines to form?

I am so grateful for CC folk who will take the time to post and help the rest of us out! THANKS!!!!

The earlier the better I have found. The port in downtown Charleston is not used for passengers very often (one a week) so is not the best.... but you are not driving to Fla. either. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
What's the current fee? And does it have to be in cash or do they take credit cards? We want to be prepared . . .

We just got back yesterday. It was $110 for a 7 day cruise and yes they do take credit cards. We arrived about 2:30 p.m and there was no traffic.

Hey, Snipper, can you give us any pointers about driving into the port? Best time to arrive, etc?

We arrived 12/13 at around 11:45am and it was a horrible experience that took over an hour and a half. There were half a dozen different check points (passports, luggage tags, security, etc.) and the line moved extremely slow. This was our first experience driving to port as we usually fly in, but Charleston seemed really bad.

I guess it was just our bad luck on timing.

The one time I took some relatives down it was the same... The area is not conducive to the port traffic as it is industrial and not far from regular traffic. You may find yourself in a long line of cars waiting to drop of luggage with only one line until the very end. It seems that as long as Charleston has one ship per week that it will continue this way. The area to drop off luggage is set up each week with temporary drive-thru tents or just a platform to drop of items. You are then directed to a parking area that may be far enough away that you have to take a bus/trolley back. Some have said that taxi or hotel van is better... just make sure it's flat fee because who knows how long you will be in car line.

Sometimes it does go smoothly but as with anything involving cars and humans, one mistake can cost lots of time.

Thanks, Rockwife. Any tips to know to stay out of trouble and make it as fast as possible?

That's part of the problem- I knew well enough to have the luggage tags attached before leaving my cousin's house on Isle of Palm, but when we got to that particular check-point the woman asking us if we had our tags (YES) put a sticker on our car and we had to pull over at the next check point. The guy there said, "Um, you have your luggage tags already" and we were like "Yeah, I know." He apologized, but I was kinda fuming at that point.

The one time I took some relatives down it was the same... The area is not conducive to the port traffic as it is industrial and not far from regular traffic. You may find yourself in a long line of cars waiting to drop of luggage with only one line until the very end. It seems that as long as Charleston has one ship per week that it will continue this way. The area to drop off luggage is set up each week with temporary drive-thru tents or just a platform to drop of items. You are then directed to a parking area that may be far enough away that you have to take a bus/trolley back. Some have said that taxi or hotel van is better... just make sure it's flat fee because who knows how long you will be in car line.

Sometimes it does go smoothly but as with anything involving cars and humans, one mistake can cost lots of time.

Yep, there are lots of feeder streets into the "line", so it's pure luck if you choose the "right" street and if the people ahead of you have any sense. The car in front of us was waving cars ahead of us that took illegal U-turns in the middle of the street, *against* the light. I'll admit to being less than ladylike when that happened. . .

Yep, there are lots of feeder streets into the "line", so it's pure luck if you choose the "right" street and if the people ahead of you have any sense. The car in front of us was waving cars ahead of us that took illegal U-turns in the middle of the street, *against* the light. I'll admit to being less than ladylike when that happened. . .

That was exactly what was happening... We live on IOP - who's you cousin?

Lovely island you have there, Bobsfamily. We had dinner and drinks at Poe's and breakfast at the Sea Biscuit- very nice.

My cousin owns a storm shutter business on IOP. His name is Tim Smith and I hadn't seen him in ages. It was great seeing him and meeting more extended family.

Lovely island you have there, Bobsfamily. We had dinner and drinks at Poe's and breakfast at the Sea Biscuit- very nice.

My cousin owns a storm shutter business on IOP. His name is Tim Smith and I hadn't seen him in ages. It was great seeing him and meeting more extended family.

I think I know him... name sounds familiar.

Archived