vancouver questions

Can anyone help me - we are arriving the evening before we cruise out of Vancouver for a B2B cruise to Alaska Sept 5th and we were hoping to get some wine to take on board a Princess cruise. We haven't set up a hotel as yet - but figured depending where there might be some stores to walk to from a hotel or in a certain part of town - we could do that. Are the Canadian taxes really high on wine? Are you able to buy wines from California there? Thanks in advance for any help.

Ruth:)

There are two main liquor stores in downtown Vancouver, one in Harbour Centre about 3 blocks east of Canada Place on Cordova St and the other at Thurlow and Alberni Sts which is close to hotels like the Hotel Vancouver and the Blue Horizon. California wines are readily available in our stores but I would encourage you to try some of our BC Wines which are extremely good and often better than CA wines. Yes wines in British Columbia are expensive....at least twice what you are probably used to paying; its a sin tax that we pay. I live in the desert for 5 mos a year and when I get home I go into sticker shock. Frankly I would bring my wine into Canada with me, each adult (age 19 in BC) can bring in two .750 litre bottles, which according to my calcutlations should be just about enough to get you to your first stop in Alaska.:D

• 4 weeks later...

Yes they will take both credit cards and US currency. Remember though with you credit card you are going to have foreign exchange fees, exchange, and transaction fees and with US currrency you will not get the full benefit of the current exchange rate which is currently about 20 cents in your favour and you will get your change in CDN currency.

Putterdude and Dennis you have given us some great tips for planning our 2 night post cruise stay in Vancouver, now i need some restaurant advice or suggestions. Will have 2 teenage boys with us (remember how they eat!?!?) so we need some nice places to eat, preferably unique to Vancouver that serve good food-not foofy! Any thoughts? Of course to add to the fun, they are picky eaters! Thanks.

Staying at Blue HOrizon and probably don't want upscale so much as good food for a decent price. Don't want chains that I can get here in Florida-love local flavor. One kid pretty picky so have to watch that. Thanks for the tips!

On an unrelated note, I assume from your "name" that you are a golfer-I just played my BEST round ever this morning and am still basking in the glow! Of course, you know what that means for the next time I play!

Staying at Blue HOrizon and probably don't want upscale so much as good food for a decent price. Don't want chains that I can get here in Florida-love local flavor. One kid pretty picky so have to watch that. Thanks for the tips!

On an unrelated note, I assume from your "name" that you are a golfer-I just played my BEST round ever this morning and am still basking in the glow! Of course, you know what that means for the next time I play!

From the Blue Horizon you will have many choices. A couple that spring to mind include, The Keg Steak House, Red Robin (sorry a chain), Joe Fortes (a touch expensive), or the Boathouse on Denman and Beach...a bit of a walk but not to bad for a young family. There are also lots of ethnic restaurants on Robson and some of the downtown Vancouverites may want to help with this.

Yes, I am an avid golfer (not good, just avid) so I know what it means.:rolleyes:

http://en.kegsteakhouse.com/locations/British_Columbia/Downtown_Vancouver/Thurlow_Keg

http://www.redrobin.com/home/locate.aspx?id=273&dist=0.48

http://www.joefortes.ca/

http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/vancouver-restaurant-locations.php

From the Blue Horizon you will have many choices. A couple that spring to mind include, The Keg Steak House, Red Robin (sorry a chain), Joe Fortes (a touch expensive), or the Boathouse on Denman and Beach...a bit of a walk but not to bad for a young family. There are also lots of ethnic restaurants on Robson and some of the downtown Vancouverites may want to help with this.

My favourite ethnic restaurants on Robson are Thai House and Tropika.

Since I don't have any kids I can only suggest based on what they might like - you also don't say what there ages are - younger teens are likely to have one set of preferences while the older ones a different preference.

If you decide to visit Granville Island and are looking for a diverse menu and an informal place with lots of TV screens for sports etc perhaps Sam J Peppers might a good place for your teens - the menu suits all price ranges - there is also a Keg next door as well.

http://www.sjpeppers.com/locations.html

Another place - a chain here in Canada is the Old Spaghetti factory - good for all ages

http://www.oldspaghettifactory.ca/location_vancouver.html

PD has also mentioned Red Robin which is only a block away from your hotel - it is located upstairs - ask for a window seat and you can watch all the action on Robson Street below

I would also suggest Boston Pizza except that there isn't one in the downtown core.

Milestones, Earls and Cactus Club are local chains that have outlets on Robson as well - I like Cactus Club of the three the most.

Perhaps you should give this list to your boys and let them see if there is a place that they think they would like.

Here's one more link for you to look at - it's for the Robson Street Business association - has a restaurant search on it.

http://www.robsonstreet.ca/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis, thanks so much. The boys are 12 and 14. the 12 year old is the picky one and there is not enough food on earth for the 14 year old right now! I'll check out those links and have them take a look at menus if I can find them.

Archived