Dive options Roatan - 3 certified, 1 non certified

ScubaGirl11

Good day all,

Would like some opinions on our best option for diving in Roatan, with our unique family situation. We're cruising with Carnival Legend Dec 28 - Jan 4 and only in port 8:00 to 3:00. Myself, DH, and DS 16 are certified, DD 13 is not - but bugs me everyday about it!!

I really don't want to have to book the beginner dive for all of us for our one non certified diver, but am concerned about the time restrictions with booking independantly and customizing dives.

We've prepared a custom dive day in Grand Cayman with Eden Rock - they are taking daughter aside to do a resort course, and at the same time we are merely renting equipment and doing shore dives. Then when she is ready to do her guided dives, we will join her.

Eden Rock/Grand Cayman situation works great, but we have such a short time in port in Roatan that I am concerned about booking independantly. Additionally, I'm not sure if Roatan offers the same time of shore diving that GC does to keep us busy while she is taking a resort course.

Do I have options other than booking a beginner dive for all of us?

Thx

Nic

Actually you have a couple of options. We've used CocoView Resort (http://www.cocoviewresort.com/ ) which offers excellent shore diving and the snorkeling is also awesome. The only problem here is that it's costly to get to and from the resort (about $40/carload roundtrip I think, but that could have changed). Email them and find out. It's about a 25 minute drive to this resort, which still gives you lots of time to hang out. We love diving the little wreck here.

The last time we were there we seriously considered shore diving Spooky Channel (http://www.bibr.com/) but ended up opting for a boat dive with another operator in the West End. Spooky Channel is supposed to be closer to the pier so cheaper taxi fare. By the way, the boat diving was great too!

Archived