Christchurch, Dunedin & Auckland

JLT

I would like opinions on 2 possibilities for sightseeing in Christchurch and Dunedin. There is the Tranzalpine rail trip in Christchurch or the Taieri Gorge trip in Dunedin. Which would you recommend?

Then in Christchurch there is the International Antarctic Centre and Auckland has the Kelly Tarlton Antarctic Experience. Which of these two did you like best?

I am trying to do something unique in each port and will appreciate your input.

Hi Jean

I am about to sail to New Zealand so I dont really know the answer to your questions first hand, but I have undertaken a lot of research into all of these tours, and there is also a lot of comparisions mentioned on the boards if you do a search. Most people have said they they prefered the Christchurch antartic centre over the one in Auckland. The train tours also have reviews done on them too. There is a great web site for the Taieri Gorge train, lots of pictures and all the fares etc, it is http://www.taieri.co.nz/ All of the tours that you have mentioned look great and I guess at the end of the day it depends on how much time you have in the port and if there is anything else in one of the ports that you want to do. I know Christchurch has a lot of tours advertised that take you all around the city and also there is one company that takes you to see the local wildlife and attractions from the water, their website is http://www.blackcat.co.nz/ So maybe if you look at all the other things you might want to do then see what fits in the best.

Also there is a great web site that has been created by a couple that cruised from New Zealand and Australia and they have great pictures and in depth reviews of most of the tours. Well worth a look, might get some ideas from there. http://www.thepreismans.com/ Hope you have a great cruise.

I would like opinions on 2 possibilities for sightseeing in Christchurch and Dunedin. There is the Tranzalpine rail trip in Christchurch or the Taieri Gorge trip in Dunedin. Which would you recommend?

Then in Christchurch there is the International Antarctic Centre and Auckland has the Kelly Tarlton Antarctic Experience. Which of these two did you like best?

I am trying to do something unique in each port and will appreciate your input.

We did a private tour in Christchurch and the Taieri Gorge trip. We loved the train ride and really enjoyed the scenery. We had a private driver in Christchurch. Along 'punting on the Avon' and tea at a beautiful private estate, he also took us on a tour of the botannical gardens, various churches and a theater. It was a great way to explore the city.

However, we didn't do the Int'l Antarctic there, but chose instead to do Kelly Tarlton. It was okay (we live not too far from Monterey and their aqaurium made the one in Aukland pale a bit, but we still had a great time exploring the various displays). In Aukland, we grabbed a taxi and told him to take us to his favorite spots in the city - we have found that you get an very unusual and unique flavor of a city by doing this.

We did both Kelly Tarltons and the Antarctic Centre on our trip. Both are good but the Antarctic Centre is bigger and is the exact location where the actual Antarctic expeditions leave from. Make sure you get the ticket that includes the Tundra ride. We took the ship shuttle to the downtown in Christchurch and then the Penguin Express out to the Centre. It is located right beside the airport.

In Dunedin we went to the train station but didn't get on the special train. Instead we booked a private tour of Dunedin and the Otago Peninsula to see Penguin sanctuary and an Albatross sanctuary as well as Lanarch Castle. This was the best tour of our trip.

Thank you so much for your replies. This is exactly what I was looking for and I appreciate your comments. I have a while to go before my cruise next September so I do have time to investigate the suggested sites.

• 1 month later...
We did a private tour in Christchurch and the Taieri Gorge trip. We loved the train ride and really enjoyed the scenery. We had a private driver in Christchurch. Along 'punting on the Avon' and tea at a beautiful private estate, he also took us on a tour of the botannical gardens, various churches and a theater. It was a great way to explore the city.

However, we didn't do the Int'l Antarctic there, but chose instead to do Kelly Tarlton. It was okay (we live not too far from Monterey and their aqaurium made the one in Aukland pale a bit, but we still had a great time exploring the various displays). In Aukland, we grabbed a taxi and told him to take us to his favorite spots in the city - we have found that you get an very unusual and unique flavor of a city by doing this.

We are off to New Zealand on the Dawn Princess in a couple of weeks and I am thinking of hiring a taxi in Christchurch for a couple of hours to show us the sights. How much did you pay for your taxi and for how many hours?

Cheers, Chris

The Antarctic Centre is more impressive IMO than Kelly Tarlton's. The Hagglund ride is something else (but hang on tight). We have also been on the Tranzalpine - whilst it was pleasant we did not think it deserved to be called "one of the great railway journeys of the world". Haven't done Taieri Gorge so cannot comment on that.

Archived