Sooooo Confused - please clear this up

mcnabb3801

We are going on a 7 day cruise in January and I just need clarification....

I know that the deposit amount is $200 pp but if we put down cash as a deposit (to avoid part of the hold on our cc) does it have to be the $400 or can it be less..I have heard two different answers some say $400 others say whatever you want to put down then they will ask for a cc once cash is running out. Also how are funship dollars figured into the charges...we are expecting to bring about $300 or more of funship dollars with us ..hwo is that applied...we give the deposit lets say $300 in cash then that is running otu then they use the funship dollars then charge the remainder (plus hold for equal amount of charged amount)

Example...

$300 Cash Deposit +$300 Funship Dollars ..after this is exhausted then our cc will be charged??

Stacey

I know that the deposit amount is $200 pp but if we put down cash as a deposit (to avoid part of the hold on our cc) does it have to be the $400 or can it be less..I have heard two different answers some say $400 others say whatever you want to put down then they will ask for a cc once cash is running out. Also how are funship dollars figured into the charges...we are expecting to bring about $300 or more of funship dollars with us ..hwo is that applied...we give the deposit lets say $300 in cash then that is running otu then they use the funship dollars then charge the remainder (plus hold for equal amount of charged amount)

Example...

$300 Cash Deposit +$300 Funship Dollars ..after this is exhausted then our cc will be charged??

Stacey

Maybe I am missing something, but unless your CC limit is so low that you can't handle a few hundred dollars hold on it, why not just use that for your deposit. the charge is not passed through, it just reduces the amount of available credit, then as you spend you can stop at the Pursar's desk and make payments.

Of course if you are concerned about the limits on the CC then you might have a different issue. Carnival says for a seven day crusie that the deposit is $200 pp, I have heard that you can put down less but it is going to take $70 pp for gratuities unless you prepay them, so you really only have $130 pp ( $20 per day) to spend and that does not go far if you have a couple of drinks.

You are better off using your credit card for the Sink or Swim, er Sail n Sign, card. You have no clue how much you will spend, and trust me, if you think you will budget and only spend so much, give up on that idea.

If you only put so much down you will be constantly checking your S&S balance at least once or twice a day to see what it is at. You also have to consider that shore tours can be $50 and up per person, so using cash as S&S goes very fast....

All of my cruises I have taken I have set aside a set amount for S&S, but I also leave it as a range because I usually find lots to buy onboard!!!

Also how are funship dollars figured into the charges...we are expecting to bring about $300 or more of funship dollars with us ..hwo is that applied...we give the deposit lets say $300 in cash then that is running otu then they use the funship dollars then charge the remainder (plus hold for equal amount of charged amount)

Example...

Stacey

Stacey,

I brought "Funship" dollars on my last cruise and I wasn't able to apply them to my account. Obviously, I didn't read the small print and it stated that I wasn't able to use it against my onboard account. I'm able to send it to CCL to apply against my next booking. So, just make sure that it's a certiciate that you can apply to your account. I'm also not sure how many variations of "funship" dollars there are.

If necessary, call CCL and verify whether or not you can use them on the ship.

You cant use Fun Ship Dollars purchased through Carnival against your onboard account??? Hhhheeelllpppp! That was the entire point of us buying them

You certainly can. Take them to the Purser's Desk and have them applied as on board credit.

If you'd like, you can call Carival at 800-906-7603 to verify.

Mach

So here is how you'll do this. When you check in at the port, you will tell them you have Funship Dollars and cash for your S&S account. The check-in desk cannot take your Funship Dollars nor cash but they will tell you you need to go to the Pursurs Desk to do this. So, as soon as you board the ship, go directly to the Purser's Desk and tell them you want to apply your Funship Dollars to your S&S accounts. After that, if you want to add cash, you can do it then, or later when you're account is running low (and believe me, you'll know when you're account has run out!) It's not a big deal, really! Personally, I don't use a credit/debit card for anything unless I have to. Cash or Funship Dollars is the way I do business on a cruise ship.

Best of luck to you and have a great cruise! Wish I could be sailing too....!

Newbie here - How much of a hold do they put on your cc for a 4 day pp?

Is the tips charged right away to your cc, or at the end all together? I'm just trying to figure out what cc I want to use, the higher limit, but higher interest, or lower limit with lower interest! Thanks!

I'm thinking of buying fun ship dollars too to apply to my sail and sign account. I'm also wondering how to go about prepaying gratuities. I've gone to the Carnival web site but can't see anywhere that I can prepay grat. I'm self-employeed and Jan. is always a slower month for me, so thought I would prepay expenses. Any help offered would be appreciated!

Pat

Sharing something I learned last cruise... you can also purchase Funship dollars thru the Carnival website and they'll be applied as an OBC. Go to the Carnival website for gifts, purchase whatever Funship dollars denomination you want. In the address field, type ON BOARD CREDIT on the 1st line, and your booking number on the 2nd address line, then your city & state. I got the e-mail below from the Special Programs Coordinator within 20 minutes. When I checked my account a couple days later, the credit was there.

Thank you for your Gift Certificate order. Your order will be applied as On-board Credit.

Please allow 3 business days for this to be applied. If you have any questions please contact Special Programs at 1-800-906-7603 . Please reference the order number in the subject line of this e-mail.

Can I buy the funship dollars weekly and they will add them to my OBC? That would be wonderful! Believe it or not, I'm Platinum but have never pursued this avenue and think that for my cruise the end of Jan. it would be alot more comfortable if I add to my ship account weekly. That way I won't worry if Jan. is a slow month. We don't use credit for our cruises-we always pay everything off right away.

Pat

macnabb3801 - I recently spoke with a Carnival business rep (not a PVP) and they confirmed that for cash, the amounts indicated in the documentation are only suggested amounts and you can put down as much as you wish (using your Funship dollars as the first installment). Remember that your $10 per day per person (applies to all kids also) is charged to your account the first day and all shipboard booked excursions are charged to your shipboard account. If you want you CAN pre-pay the tips before cruising and you CAN book excursions on-line before cruising and those are charged to your Credit Card. You want to put up enough cash so that you're not spending your vacation in line at the purser's desk! Your unspent balance will be returned via check attached to your statement the final nite. ken

Um, help out a nooblet here. Are funship dollors the same value as a US $1 bill. If so, what is the advantage to purchasing them :)

Thanks

This is from carnival website, seems there is no advantage to purchasing them. Guess I kinda answered my own ?.

Quote:

What are Carnival "Funship" Dollars?

Carnival now offers gift certificates that friends, family travel agents or businesses can purchase for a Carnival Guest.

Funship Dollars come in denominations of: $25 - $50 - $100 - $200 - $500.

Funship Dollars can be redeemed against the cost of a cruise (as payment).

Funship Dollars can be applied as an on board credit on the Guest's Sail and Sign account.

Order Procedures

Certificates are purchased by calling the Reservations Special Programs and Promotions Desk at: 800 906-7603.

The certificates are customized with the name of the person, agency or business that purchased it. The purchaser will fill in the name of the recipient.

The certificate will be mailed to the purchaser upon receipt of payment. *Certificates are valid for 24 months from date of purchase unless otherwise noted.

Link:http://carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Funship_Dollars_Gift__Certificates.aspx

You are better off using your credit card for the Sink or Swim, er Sail n Sign, card. You have no clue how much you will spend, and trust me, if you think you will budget and only spend so much, give up on that idea.

I disagree. Some people can budget and stay very well within that limit. I do, and it doesn't always have to do with how much I have available to spend, it has everything to do with how much I WANT to spend. It's about discipline. I budget and still have a great worry free time!

Can I buy the funship dollars weekly and they will add them to my OBC? That would be wonderful! Believe it or not, I'm Platinum but have never pursued this avenue and think that for my cruise the end of Jan. it would be alot more comfortable if I add to my ship account weekly. That way I won't worry if Jan. is a slow month. We don't use credit for our cruises-we always pay everything off right away.

Pat

Yep, sure can. It worked out great for us, and I loved having that $$ in our OBC account. I know... people will say, just keep it in your savings account and earn interest or whatever, but to each his own. This worked well for us!

I'm thinking of buying fun ship dollars too to apply to my sail and sign account. I'm also wondering how to go about prepaying gratuities. I've gone to the Carnival web site but can't see anywhere that I can prepay grat. I'm self-employeed and Jan. is always a slower month for me, so thought I would prepay expenses. Any help offered would be appreciated!

Pat

I had a hard time finding that on the website too. I just called in and spoke with a PVP, told them I wanted to prepay my gratuities and there was no issue at all.

It's so nice being able to head out on a vacation that has been paid for months ago!

Fun ship dollars are great Xmas gifts and/or stocking stuffers.

afcj1 is correct, there are certain funship dollars that you cannot use

on board towards purchases..........they are only good towards a cruise

purchase. just make sure to get the ones you want.

Pat

If you are not past final payment log in to Carnival.com, and go to your booking. Click modify bookings and in the Preferences area click edit. There is a box there to check to prepay your gratuities.

If that doesn't work, or if you can't find it call carnival or you TA.

Maybe I am missing something, but unless your CC limit is so low that you can't handle a few hundred dollars hold on it, why not just use that for your deposit. the charge is not passed through, it just reduces the amount of available credit, then as you spend you can stop at the Pursar's desk and make payments.

Of course if you are concerned about the limits on the CC then you might have a different issue. Carnival says for a seven day crusie that the deposit is $200 pp, I have heard that you can put down less but it is going to take $70 pp for gratuities unless you prepay them, so you really only have $130 pp ( $20 per day) to spend and that does not go far if you have a couple of drinks.

Are you talking about the day of the cruise? Using Cash instead of a Credit Card? I have always done cash and they have never given me a break. If it is $200 pp then that is the cash amoutn you put down for your sail and sign card per person. That is what I understand.

Archived