Why are prices so HIGH now?

Mark

Hi

This question may not be new, but I will ask it anyway.

We are in a recession and possibly a depression...folks are losing their jobs by the thousands...many of us have seen about fifty percent of our life savings disappear...so...my question is...why are there no bargains out there from the cruise lines to insure their ships sail fully booked? The prices I have seen for cruises appear to be much much higher than a year ago? Why aren't there fire sale cruise prices like you hear of with the autombile dealers in an attempt to sell cars?

What is it that I am missing?

Please advise if you can explain this to me or if you think my obervation is not correct.

Mark:confused:

:eek:

I don't know if you're possibly looking in the wrong places or looking to cruise during high season, but my email is FILLED with so many great buys advertised on a daily basis that it kills me not to be able to book more cruises. We just have no vacation time left for next year.

We got a great deal on ours! But I know what you mean, my dealership folded voiding the dealer warranty I had, free service for 4 years and tires for life. Working on the road I have used those! We have had two major companies move and a major plant shut down this week. I have to say we save and budget carefully for our travel, never running up a debt and would probably go crazy without time away. Especially now, (I work nonprofit) more clients needing services, funds growing more sparse every day.

Ok, I am through now :D

Hi

The prices I have seen for cruises appear to be much much higher than a year ago? Why aren't there fire sale cruise prices like you hear of with the autombile dealers in an attempt to sell cars?

Please advise if you can explain this to me or if you think my observation is not correct.

We gotten some great prices and price drops for our next cruise.

The cruise lines don't have excess inventory they have to liquidate.

And don't get me started on automakers selling at below their cost so they lose money on the vehicle they sold.

Hi

We are in a recession and possibly a depression...folks are losing their jobs by the thousands...many of us have seen about fifty percent of our life savings disappear...so...my question is...why are there no bargains out there from the cruise lines to insure their ships sail fully booked? The prices I have seen for cruises appear to be much much higher than a year ago? Why aren't there fire sale cruise prices like you hear of with the autombile dealers in an attempt to sell cars?

Please advise if you can explain this to me or if you think my obervation is not correct.

We are booked on the Valor next week in a Cat. 11 cabin for under $900 pp military rate. I saw you can get and inside cabbin for $219. Can a 7 day cruise get any cheaper?? if you are looking to book a cruise 6 months from now the rates are not that cheap. Ours went down drastically the past 3 months.

Hi

Gotta disagree with you regarding higher fares than in the past.... I booked a 4 nighter for 2 passengers at total cruise package costs of $400.00 (the cruise portion was $40.00 p/p !!!) including port charges/taxes, fuel supplement and tips for an oceanview stateroom departing 01DEC. Perhaps you are looking at the PEAK season for cruising ? Those rates seem to be a tad higher than the off season right now, but reports are that people are getting many rate reductions based on what they originally booked for.

Sorry going to disagree too. The prices are very good right now. We got a 5 day OV on upper deck with all fees for under $800. And we have an $80 OBC right now, and if oil stays down all Dec then $90 more. We spent much more than that on our cruise last Jan, and it was a 5 day as well. I get emails now for cruises starting at $99, and I have seen 4 days for $179.

Hi

I'm seeing awesome upgrades and lower costs for my January cruise. Are you looking at summer or holiday times?

Yes I was looking at cruises that are a week long about 6 months from now...balcony cabins...I just came back from Carnival Triumph and had a fantastic mini-suite...well Carnival calls it a suite...paid $1,995...I believe...anyway...I am seeing non-suites...regular balcony cabins posted for anywhere from $2,400 to $2,600...seems to me a bit steep...but like someone said...maybe if I looked for last minute deals I would see great savings and low prices...problem is that I work for a large company and just can't take a week off with short notice...has to be requested well in advance...oh well...thank you all for your input!

I got a great price on the Liberty cruise next year but my PVP waas on top of it the whole time. She warned me well in advance that the prices were going to go up and there was not going to any really great sale for a few weeks( that was a month before the one day sale). Keep reading the boards as the CC"S are great at letting us all know when the sale are.

Yes I was looking at cruises that are a week long about 6 months from now...balcony cabins...I just came back from Carnival Triumph and had a fantastic mini-suite...well Carnival calls it a suite...paid $1,995...I believe...anyway...I am seeing non-suites...regular balcony cabins posted for anywhere from $2,400 to $2,600...seems to me a bit steep...but like someone said...maybe if I looked for last minute deals I would see great savings and low prices...problem is that I work for a large company and just can't take a week off with short notice...has to be requested well in advance...oh well...thank you all for your input!

Are you booking this as a solo cruiser?

Please give a ship and sailing date for a week long cruises you are looking @ from $2400-2600

Are the prices you mentioned per person, or for two in a cabin? If they're per person you are getting royally taken. Even per cabin they're kind of high.

I really think even summer sailings will come down in the months ahead, but I know it's just a chance.

Hi

It depends upon when you want to cruise. Prices are incredibly cheap for now through the first of January....and expect winter rates to fall some more.

Most cruise lines are genious when it comes to marketing. They will price their cruises based on occupancy. So far, Carnival continues a 105-110% occupancy rate for the long term. The short term cruises that aren't selling as well......they are lowering prices like crazy to fill the ships.

I just booked Liberty for January 3, Verandah balcony for 629.00 per person, double. Incredibly cheap rate..........

It definitely depends on when and where you're looking. We are looking at a 5 night Canada cruise this summer and the prices for an inside are higher than what we paid for a balcony last year. Homeports like NYX, Baltimore, and Boston are really hugh. People want to avoid flying. We'll book for the family and hope the rates will come down a little.

And I honestly believe that with cruiselines moving these ships to more homeports that are close to the demographics of their passengers residences, is a strategic move to keep those rates higher. Pretty simple math when you think of it......less ships in unusal embarkation ports i.e. NY, Charleston, JAX, Boston, Baltimore, etc.....Well the supply is lower so it just makes sense that those cruises are commanding a higher fare than say many ships sailing out of the Florida area. Cruiselines are not stupid... they are making up their losses one way or another !

And don't get me started on automakers selling at below their cost so they lose money on the vehicle they sold.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject! Please go ahead and enlighten us.

I don't know how enlightening it is but this business journalist's column explains it pretty well.

here is an example...RCCL Liberty of the Seas...7 nights on June 6 out of Miami

Balcony Staterooms total cost 2 people

D1 $2,939

D2 $2,739

E1 $2,639

E2 $2,539

I am comparing these rates to the $1,995 I just paid on my Nov 9 sailing off Carnival Triumph which was for a suite....to me there seems to be a large difference in prices...I would think June 6 is not prime time for a Caribbean cruise out of Miami???

here is an example...RCCL Liberty of the Seas...7 nights on June 6 out of Miami

Balcony Staterooms total cost 2 people

D1 $2,939

D2 $2,739

E1 $2,639

E2 $2,539

I am comparing these rates to the $1,995 I just paid on my Nov 9 sailing off Carnival Triumph which was for a suite....to me there seems to be a large difference in prices...I would think June 6 is not prime time for a Caribbean cruise out of Miami???

Just my opinion, but you're comparing your Carnival cruise to a RCCL cruise. Most of the time RCCL is more expensive - at least that's been our experience when looking for cruises. our last cruise on the CCL Glory, we were in a suite for just $200 pp more than what an oceanview on the Mariner would have been.

Archived