Just off Sapphire

CruizBlooz

Just letting everyone know that is planning to take the Sapphire to Mexico, it's a great ship and a very nice cruise. If they still have the cruise directors Josh and Paul, you will love them. They are very funny, fun, and you see them all over the ship. Some of the best I've seen. Everything is still up to par on this ship and I wouldn't have any doubts. If you have any questions, just ask away.

My wife and are booked on that same cruise on Dec 13th,and we are looking forward to going.

1)how is the overall service

2)on embarktion night do they have any kind of special party or bbq

3)how was the weather in Mexico

4) can you give us any hints of nice eateries?

My wife and are booked on that same cruise on Dec 13th,and we are looking forward to going.

1)how is the overall service

Service on any ship can be dependant as to whom you get. Our room attendant was perfect, not over the top, not no where to be found. Just did his job and did it well. We were happy.

2)on embarktion night do they have any kind of special party or bbq

Just sailaway party. The special deck buffets and things like that happen on other days of the cruise like the Mexican buffet. Just the regular bufffet and grill items on sailaway.

3)how was the weather in Mexico

The weather is always nice in Mexico, some months much hotter and humid than others. When you go in December, it will be not as hot and not near as humid as October/November. It will be nice, but the ocean water will begin to get cooler.

4) can you give us any hints of nice eateries?

There are so many places that are good to eat in the Mexican ports. I don't recommend the chain food places such as Sr. Frogs, Carlos and Charlies and such. In Cabo we always prefer The Office on the beach. I highly recommend going to Las Caletas in PV.

Glad to hear that Josh and Paul are still on the Sapphire. They became VERY aware of Cruise Critic due to our "KOALA" cruise from Sydney to LA last April/May. :)

In Cabo, I recommend going to Javier's. He has a couple of restaurants here in SoCal that we go to every week and they are very, very popular: excellent food at good prices; very authentic Mexican.

So glad you had a good cruise. Will be going on Dec 6th. I've seen a couple of the shows in the theater. (Undercover and Piano Man). I saw some patters that also listed "I Got the Music" and "Do you Want to Dance" Did you happen to see either? Any thoughts? Any other shows, activites that you enjoyed?

Thanks

My wife & I are booked on the Sapphire Dec 6 cruise. My wife has a bit of a problem with motion sickness. We have only cruised on the Caribbean before and she did OK with a lot of pills and the wrist bands. What was it like on the Mexican Riveria? Were the seas very rough? How was the tender ride at Cabo?

How was the entertainment on your cruise?

My wife & I are booked on the Sapphire Dec 6 cruise. My wife has a bit of a problem with motion sickness. We have only cruised on the Caribbean before and she did OK with a lot of pills and the wrist bands. What was it like on the Mexican Riveria? Were the seas very rough? How was the tender ride at Cabo?

Tell her to take A LOT OF PILLS. I've found the westcoast waters to be the worst we've sailed.

I have been to the Mexican Rivieara at least 10 times or more. I have never once encountered any rough seas. I've been at many different times of the year. I don't think you will have a problem at all.

I've seen the Piano Man on the Diamond, which seems to be the most popular show, so I wasn't interested in going again. Many said the commedian was funny. We take late seating dinner and prefer changing after dinner at 10 and walking around and maybe watching Karoke or going to watch the people in Skywalkers. Many of the Officers hang out up there and they are very interesting to watch. :D

What was the highlight of the Sapphire? We are in a Lido Balcony in late January but are still hoping to be upgraded to a mini suite. Anyone had that happen yet?

As winter rains approach the thought of sun and heat is very reassuring. How is the temperature on days at sea?

The water off the southern coast of California is usually cold and choppy due to the California Current (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Current). It'll be cool, probably cold next week as the weather is cooling down here, and choppy the first day or two out of LA and returning. It's highly unusual for anyone not to experience this cool, choppy water. Make sure your cabin is on a lower deck, mid-ship and your wife should be OK.

Just letting everyone know that is planning to take the Sapphire to Mexico, it's a great ship and a very nice cruise. If they still have the cruise directors Josh and Paul, you will love them. They are very funny, fun, and you see them all over the ship. Some of the best I've seen. Everything is still up to par on this ship and I wouldn't have any doubts. If you have any questions, just ask away.

Very good to hear. Sailing this Saturday! :)

Did you eat at the buffet and did you have any trouble finding a table or getting food from the buffet? It will be my 1st Princess cruise and from what I've read the buffet is sort of confusing for 1st timers.

How was disembarkation since you got back late?

:pWife and I are on the Dec. 6th sailing. First time to Mex. Riv. and are excited to go..As we live in So. AZ. we are somewhat accustomed to the Mexican culture, but are ready to try "below the border cuisine". Look forward to all the festivities. !Hasta la vista amigos!

David:)

Glad to hear that Josh and Paul are still on the Sapphire. They became VERY aware of Cruise Critic due to our "KOALA" cruise from Sydney to LA last April/May. :)

In Cabo, I recommend going to Javier's. He has a couple of restaurants here in SoCal that we go to every week and they are very, very popular: excellent food at good prices; very authentic Mexican.

They are some of the more active, better cruise directors I have ever seen in all my cruises.

What was the highlight of the Sapphire? We are in a Lido Balcony in late January but are still hoping to be upgraded to a mini suite. Anyone had that happen yet?

As winter rains approach the thought of sun and heat is very reassuring. How is the temperature on days at sea?

We were actually on a Lido balcony and loved it. Didn't think I would, but I did. It was so convenient. I'd even think about booking there again. Sea days in December are going to be cooler going out and coming back.

:pWife and I are on the Dec. 6th sailing. First time to Mex. Riv. and are excited to go..As we live in So. AZ. we are somewhat accustomed to the Mexican culture, but are ready to try "below the border cuisine". Look forward to all the festivities. !Hasta la vista amigos!

David:)

You should have a great time. I can't wait to go back again.

It was my 1st time cruising for my mom & I, and Sapphire was an amazing experience. Our room was on B335 and the room steward, Francisco, was great! He was very friendly, introduced himself the first day and had our names memorized so quickly, he was calling us by our names by the end of the first night! He took care of our tidying up in a quick and cleanly manner. We would go out to eat breakfast for 30min and come back to a clean room already!

There is a Mexican fiesta night time party on the 3rd night, there's music, entertainment and a dessert buffet with chocolate dipped strawberries, fruit tarts, coconut creme pie, chips, salsa & guacamole just to name some of the items they have.

Of the 3 ports we docked at, Puerto Villarta was probably the more humid & hottest, definately try to dress light, lots of sunscreen(felt like I burnt faster in Mexico), and bring bottled water! Cabo San Lucas had cooler weather, it felt like if you were in San Diego, CA.

We had anytime dining for our meals. It was only on the 1st day that we were seated at a table with others, but for the rest of the week we were able to get a table to ourselves, never had to wait more than 5min.

If you're a drinker, I would highly suggest to watch the Martini Demonstration they have on the 2nd day, the bartenders make 4 different martini's then offer samples to the audience, if you're feeling on the wild side, volunteer yourself, get up there and join them in the demonstration! you'll have a TON of fun! Rob at the wheelhouse bar, Gerardo at the Crooner's bar and Joel at the Explorer's Lounge are excellent Bartenders! They're really good at what they do, make the most delicious drinks you'll ever have and have a good conversation with you. Order a Passionada Martini from Gerardo @ Crooners, it's VERY yummiez... =P Oh and Bar Wars... that was a really fun activity to join in on.... YOU get to make the drinks, but things get really messy since the other team is trying to distract you while you're making the drink... so don't wear anything you don't want to get dirty....(but participants get a free drink after the competition =D)

I don't have anything but GREAT reviews on this past trip on Sapphire, I was already looking for future bookings after I got off the ship that day! I only regret that I didn't put in a future cruise deposit... =(

The southward trip from LA down should be fine, but the return trip is bumpier. Always. We've been on 5 or 6 Mexican Riviera cruises, and they're always the same: smooth sailing down; rougher back. Take Bomine for her and she should be fine.

charlotte

Archived