Considering Solstice/Equinox for disabled...help

CruisinOnWheels

Howdy friends...

This will be our 3rd cruise, first 2 were on rccl rhapsody and Freedom OTS.

We have decided to step up and try Celebrity, hoping it is a bit slower/more mature cruise experience. Hubby is wheelchair bound, we will be booking a sky suite or aquasuite.

Compared to the Freedom class rccl ships and/or the upcoming Oasis OTS we would love to hear anyones thoughts about entertainment quality, choices and other shipboard activities... as well as contrasting the level of service we could expect, quality of food etc.

Also, we would like recommendations for best time of year to avoid rough weather... not too cold/hot etc.

Thank you for everyon's opinions...

They did a great job designing the ship and making it accessible. If your husband in wheelchair bound, you might want to put in for one of the accessible cabins to ensure easy access to the facilities in the bathroom.

The toughest part of the cruise will be boarding and getting off in Ft Lauderdale. They will have someone there to push him, but the ramp to the ship is very steep. Ther terminal is only 2 stories tall, yet you board on deck 5. I watched as one of the crew members pushed a 300+ pound gentleman up to the ship. The man in the wheel chair said as he reached the top. This man deserves a medal for getting me up that ramp.

I second getting a H/C cabin. I have found that it is a little bit nicer on the Celebrity ships. Contact Special needs if you require anything for the cabin ie medical frige for meds ect. They had all my stuff in place when I arrived. Also if you have been on RCCL contact Crown and Anchor and get you things transfered to Capt Club.

I use a scooter and had no problems getting around on the summit. The waters took care of me when I had lunch or breakfast in the lido deck buffet.

Archived