Sierra Madre Tour - Mazatlan

Duncarob

I did it a few years back. I enjoyed it. You go to a brick yard which was interesting, to a tile making place, to a town that is known for making furniture (where you will go to the town square and see a church and do a little flea market type shopping and then on to the town of Copola which is in the mountains. I enjoyed actually seeing life outside of the big town area of Mazatlan.

On the maybe downside depending on your preferences: you are in a bus all day so the trip can be a little tiring. Also, you do climb up some pretty steep terrain to go to Copola so if there is anyone in your group that has any kind of motion type sickness might not be a good bet or if you are traveling with children I wouldn't recommend this excursion

We did this trip about a year ago. We went to the brick (adobe) making place and a furniture making spot which also had pottery and other crafts for sale. We stopped in Concordia, which was in the movie Treasures of the Sierra Madre. We had drinks there, saw a church and had a little bit of time to look around. I got an inexpensive pair of opal earrings from a vendor on the plaza. Then we went to Copola for lunch. There is a shop there where a guy makes incredible leather masks. Bring some cash as he does not take credit cards but the masks were not expensive. We had lunch in Copola and had some time to explorer the town. We got back to town and were dropped of at Diamonds Int., in the shopping area and had some time to shop before taking a taxi back to the ship.

We have taken this trip thru the ship (the first time) and it was nice, but as mentioned above, in a big bus, with about 40 people, is a long trip. You do get to see the real mexico though. It is an excellent time to see how people work so hard for so little money.

We have done the tour twice with independent tour guides. Both time thru Mazatlan Frank although the first time we went with him personally and it was a blast! We saw how bricks were made, we visited a floor tile factory and an excellent bakery, then pottery and furniture, and two old towns called Concordia and Copala. In Copala we saw the person that makes the leather masks and they are incredible. The best part was the food at Daniels restaurant and that banana cream pie is sooooo gooodd. We did not have to walk up the street in copala because he took us all the way in with his van. The second time, we went with Ismael (smiley) and we also had a great time.

I say, take the tour. It is a great view of Mexico.

Louis

We have taken this trip thru the ship (the first time) and it was nice, but as mentioned above, in a big bus, with about 40 people, is a long trip. You do get to see the real mexico though. It is an excellent time to see how people work so hard for so little money.

We have done the tour twice with independent tour guides. Both time thru Mazatlan Frank although the first time we went with him personally and it was a blast! We saw how bricks were made, we visited a floor tile factory and an excellent bakery, then pottery and furniture, and two old towns called Concordia and Copala. In Copala we saw the person that makes the leather masks and they are incredible. The best part was the food at Daniels restaurant and that banana cream pie is sooooo gooodd. We did not have to walk up the street in copala because he took us all the way in with his van. The second time, we went with Ismael (smiley) and we also had a great time.

I say, take the tour. It is a great view of Mexico.

Louis

On the ship tours does it book out early compared to others,

As we are coming from New Zealand I want to wait until we are on ship as I don't yet know how much money we can save

Archived