Cozumel Dive Shop

mariemorgan

This will be my first time diving since being certified NAUI in late July/Early August.

I have contacted Allison and Blue XT-Sea (Allison's recommendation) and they are both full for when I am going to be there.

Anyone know of another dive shop that is good?

I didn't think that 2+ months out everyone i've tried would be full. Guess I will know for next time.

Just got a reply from Blue XT-sea as I asked them if they had a recommendation since they are full. and they said nobody they would recommend caters to cruise ship passengers.. does anyone one know of a shop that does? Or should I just stick to the ship excursion?

Just got a reply from Blue XT-sea as I asked them if they had a recommendation since they are full. and they said nobody they would recommend caters to cruise ship passengers.. does anyone one know of a shop that does? Or should I just stick to the ship excursion?

Hi,

I've dove with Papa Hog's and was very happy with their service. It's a strange name but the owner is ex-pat Canadian and he and his wife run a very personalized service. They set up dives based on demand so they haven't had any problems with cruise divers. You can contact them through their website at: www.papahogs.com.

Randall

One thing you might try.....check on the Roll Call for your cruise & see if there are any other divers. If you can get 2 or 3 others, set up a private charter with Dive w/Martin. They charge $350 for up to 4 divers. We have done that several times on cruises. They are located at the Intl. Pier. Don't know where your ship is docking, so you might need to take a cab from the downtown pier. Carnival still uses that one at times even though their pier by the Intl Pier is up & running again.

The last time we went on the Ecstacy, we ended up using the ships excursion and even though there were 16 aboard, there were enough divemasters with us to permit 6 or fewer per group, so we had some good dives. I believe we dove Santa Rosa & Tormentos.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jodi!!

Papa Hogs is a good Op if they availability, also you might check out Blue Angel - they have a number of boats, including 1 that goes out at 10:00 AM .... too bad Alison or Christi couldn't fit you in ... but it's high season so those two book up fast!!

OUr ships excursion used sand dollor they were at the wyndom resort. we were just certified last Aug also and they were really good with us. There were only ten onboard with two dive masters. 6 in one group and four in ours. We really didnt have anyone to compare to since our first dives since cert was the day before in Grand Caymen.

I have been diving on several occasions with http://www.scubadu.com/ located at the Presidente InterContinental Hotel. Their dive shop is fantastic. I usually just email them a week or two in advance and let them know I'm with the ship and that I want to set up a dive.

I always go in the summer, so the cruise ship gets there at 7am local time (8am ship time). I go to the resort, check in with the shop, and swim around for an hour or two before the dive boat takes off at 9. (Sometimes they even pay for the $6 cab ride to the hotel). I've never had anyone else from a cruise ship join me before (except my dive buddy). And I've never had a group larger than 5 people. They have a dive schedule but will easily adjust it depending on the divers' skill and preferences.

I highly recommend them.

Friends of our highly recommend dive with Martin. We however often stay at Scuba Club Cozumel. It is located between the 2 cruise dock areas. they are a dedicated dive resort and have 7 dive boats with wonderful dive masters and I am sure they could accommodate you. We had a few day divers when we were there. We love diving in Cozumel. Enjoy yourself!

• 2 weeks later...
Papa Hogs and Dive with Martin would be 2 I would contact. We used Dive with Martin last time we stopped there.

Four of us divers walked off the NCL Jewel this November, grabbed a taxi and went to Papa Hogs with no reservation or advance notice. He was sending out a boat with only two divers and was happy to accomodate us.

As I said, he was sending out a boat with two divers until we got there.

His prices were good and they were very accomodating. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

P.S. -- We were planning on doing a third dive off the beach and were going to rent tanks for $10, and he told the four of us: make it $25 and I'll give you a boat and crew and take you wherever you want to go. Can't beat that.

I tried to book with Allison but she was full. she recommended scubatony. I contacted him and he promptly replied and we've arranged a private charter with him.

Take a look at his website site http://www.scubatony.com/

Here is a link to some rather dated reviews

http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/diveshopreviews/scubatony.html

As i mentioned I haven't dove with scubatony yet so I can't comment from personal experience but his dealing thus far and the reviews I've read have been positive

Four of us divers walked off the NCL Jewel this November, grabbed a taxi and went to Papa Hogs with no reservation or advance notice. He was sending out a boat with only two divers and was happy to accomodate us.

As I said, he was sending out a boat with two divers until we got there.

His prices were good and they were very accomodating. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

P.S. -- We were planning on doing a third dive off the beach and were going to rent tanks for $10, and he told the four of us: make it $25 and I'll give you a boat and crew and take you wherever you want to go. Can't beat that.

Yep, sounds a lot like my experience with Pap Hogs. :D Great shop that still isn't well known.

Randall

For you who booked with Papa Hogs

Where do you meet? They didn't really tell me. At the marina? At the Dive shop?

Also what time did you get back? I have to be back on board at 3.

We took a cab - it's about a ten minute ride. I think it was $6 for the cab (split 4 ways - us big American spenders). If you have to be on board at 3, leave yourself some time to get into the port - it's a few minutes to walk from the street, into the terminal, through security and out to where your boat is parked. I'd tell Papa hog I wanted to be in my cab at 2:00, but I'm paranoid about missing my my boat.

I tried to book with Allison but she was full. she recommended scubatony. I contacted him and he promptly replied and we've arranged a private charter with him.

Take a look at his website site http://www.scubatony.com/

Here is a link to some rather dated reviews

http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/diveshopreviews/scubatony.html

As i mentioned I haven't dove with scubatony yet so I can't comment from personal experience but his dealing thus far and the reviews I've read have been positive

I haven't gone diving with him, but I've seen him at Playa Palancar during the surface interval. He did a LOT of good things for many of the poorer locals who live way back in town after hurricane wilma destroyed their homes. I'd definitely put him on my list of dive operators to contact; even better if Alison recommends him.

Be certain to tell them when you have to be back on your ship when you email them to find out if you are suppose to meet the dive boat at the caleta or if you have to go to the shop first.

I've aways taken a cab to his shop. It's across the street from the dock he leaves from so once you get there and sign up it's a quick couple of steps to the boat. Like the other poster said, tell them in advance when you need to be back. His boats are small enough that many times he modifies his trips to meet diver's schedules. Also he's off the main road so getting a taxi back hasn't been a problem.

Randall

Archived