Jacksonville/Bermuda 7-Day?

copvet

First of all, Celebrity is the only other cruise line in JAX, it would be great to get another option other than just the 4/5 day. Jax is a pretty busy airport, and very close to the port, not hard to get to. Anyone driving down from anywhere north of FL to get Port Canaveral would have a shorter drive, and from the west, I-10 is a straight shot. When we lived over there, there were never any deals on Celebration, because it was always full, I think that definitely shows that the interest is there. I think a 7 day out of JAX is a great idea!

I think it would depend on the itineries to Bermuda that were often. I did a 7 day out of New York and I could easily live without ever going back to King's Wharf. St. George was nice enough, but I love Hamilton.

That aside, my dad cruised out of Mayport on the USS Saratoga in the '70s. The very thought of going on a cruise ship out of his old carrier port made him very, very nostalgic.

First of all, Celebrity is the only other cruise line in JAX, it would be great to get another option other than just the 4/5 day. Jax is a pretty busy airport, and very close to the port, not hard to get to. Anyone driving down from anywhere north of FL to get Port Canaveral would have a shorter drive, and from the west, I-10 is a straight shot. When we lived over there, there were never any deals on Celebration, because it was always full, I think that definitely shows that the interest is there. I think a 7 day out of JAX is a great idea!

Celebrity DOES NOT sail from JAX any longer... that was a while back aboard the "Cemtury" and they pulled out of JAX.

I fly out of JAX all the time.... never a crowd like Orlando's airport (primarily for Port Canveral sailings) or Miami/Lauderdale airport. How can you say a shorter drive to Port Canveral than Jax if coming from the north... that is just plain incorrect ! :rolleyes:

A 7 night cruise out of JAX would be great and NOT just to Bermuda !

I would also be interested in any 7 night cruise from JAX. Bermuda would be especially nice, since there's only one Carnival cruise a year headed there.

I think the problem with a Bermuda cruise during their season will be that only a certain # of ships and size of ships can be there at one time and NCL has that market pretty locked up. Also, a 7 night Bermuda cruise is not going to leave much time to stay there... to much travel time going and coming back. While it would be nice, I just dont think the itinerary will warrant enough demand after a few sailings.

I don't understand why they are not doing other 7 night sailings from JAX already....Say Cozumel, Costa Maya and possibly Grand Caymen are doable based on distance I believe.

How can you say a shorter drive to Port Canveral than Jax if coming from the north... that is just plain incorrect ! :rolleyes:

A 7 night cruise out of JAX would be great and NOT just to Bermuda !

I think the poster was referring to JAX being a shorter drive than Orlando for us....um ...Northerners.;)

I can make JAX in 10 hours whereas it takes me 12 hours to get to Orlando.:)

I would like to see 6 day and longer cruises out of Jax. Bermuda would be nice. I would like to see more places added as well, like maybe to Puerto Rico, or the turks. We live in Ohio so Jax and Mobile are really the best for us to drive to reasonably. Miami and Tampa are several hours more. It is the main reason we chose to go this January on the Fascination.

Thanks again for all the comments. Keep them coming if you can. I will hand a printout to my contact sometime this weekend. He will try to get a copy on each City Councilpersons desk on Monday morning. Remember the Council Meeting is Tuesday evening, the 9th. If we don't get their approval the whole concept will be dead in the water, for now anyway.

Copvet... if they are going to have another meeting about the port... DH and I would be there to back up the port being there... I'm sure Punki and her DH would go too!! Let me know!

I'd be VERY interested in a Bermuda itinerary and yes, Hockey, Paul and I will join you in any meeting regarding the new port.

I would definitely do a bermuda or any other 7 day out of Jax. Haven't done jax yet because they only go to bahamas and I lived there for a year way back and don't miss it at all. love caribbean, east and west. 7 or 8 day caribbean owuld also be great.

For those of you from outside the Jacksonville area here is a quick update of the two meeting's held yesterday with the Transportation, Energy and Utilities Committee and the Land Use & Zoning Committee. Both bill's were passed after about 2-hours of public comment. Now the bill goes before the Full City Council approval/disapproval next Tuesday evening.

As stated by the Director of the Jax Port Authority the goal is for three ships to be docked at Mayport full time and possibly a fourth on a part time basis. That would mean cruise ships docking at the port about 15 times a month.

Keep your finger crossed...

Wayne & Debbie

For those of you from outside the Jacksonville area here is a quick update of the two meeting's held yesterday with the Transportation, Energy and Utilities Committee and the Land Use & Zoning Committee. Both bill's were passed after about 2-hours of public comment. Now the bill goes before the Full City Council approval/disapproval next Tuesday evening.

As stated by the Director of the Jax Port Authority the goal is for three ships to be docked at Mayport full time and possibly a fourth on a part time basis. That would mean cruise ships docking at the port about 15 times a month.

Keep your finger crossed...

Wayne & Debbie

That is great!

If the full City Council approves the bill then it goes back to the JPA to approve the $60,000,000.00 budget to build the facility. Their intention is to have it completed sometime in 2010. Of course some of our citizens will try to appeal but hopefully that will not stall the construction to a great degree. We shall see...

Hate to keep boring you all with this but just a short reminder that I will be copying this Thread tomorrow morning and handing it over to my JPA contact later in the day. Anyone that wants to opt out please let me know and I will remove your post. And if anyone else wants to comment it would be much appreciated. Please keep your fingers crossed for the cause on Tuesday night.

Once again, thank all of you for your input. I will keep you posted as events unfold. Have a great weekend!

Wayne

I'm a New Yorker who would LOVE the opportunity to cruise out of Jacksonville. I've (obviously :D) done quite a few Bermuda cruises & that would be OK too...but I'd love to see some 9-day or longer cruises to perhaps the southern or western caribbean. I have a friend who lives in Macclenny Florida & it would warm my heart to see him more often!

Hate to keep boring you all with this but just a short reminder that I will be copying this Thread tomorrow morning and handing it over to my JPA contact later in the day. Anyone that wants to opt out please let me know and I will remove your post. And if anyone else wants to comment it would be much appreciated. Please keep your fingers crossed for the cause on Tuesday night.

Once again, thank all of you for your input. I will keep you posted as events unfold. Have a great weekend!

Wayne

Any cruise out of JAX would be nice...Bermuda, or Grand Turk maybe.

We live in Charleston and the NCL Majesty has been to Bermuda from here but it is an old ship and will be removed from NCL service next year. We have had no interest in going on it. Jacksonville is close enough for us to enjoy cruises from there.

Hope that this works out!

Would much rather have 7 day cruises from Jax go to Grand Turk, St. Thomas, san Jaun and a private island. Or alternate 6 and 8 day and do Eastern caribbean and Bahamas.

Not sure that any length crusie to dock for 3 or 4 days at the same spot is worthwile.

We are also 4 hrs from Jax. Bermuda, a longer western Carb cruise and maybe some scenic fall cruises northward to NE & Canada would be great.

I would say the same about Charleston also. Give us some variety on a newer ship!

Having sailed out of Jax, I have to say it was one of the best experiences with the staff and port authorities we have had! We live in Gainesville, FL and cruise at least once a year. We would be likely to do a few more if we didn't have to drive so far for a longer cruise. We cruised on the Valor this past September and had to drive to Miami (6 hours, yuck) and had the Miracle docked with us in St. Thomas. It had sailed from New York and stopped at other ports along the way so I know a 7 night eastern caribbean cruise is possible out of Jacksonville. There are numerous ports that could be visited including Grand Turks, Half Moon Cay, San Juan Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, Antigua, Nassau, Key West, Grand Caymans, Jamaica, and the list goes on! We need more ports to choose from and Jacksonville is the best location!

Archived