Curfew for kids- 14 yr old boy

bernieb86

Hello. Going on Liberty in Jan. Wondering if midnight was a good curfew for 14 yr old son?! Based on your cruise experiences with kids, what have you found to be a good curfew for kids? Kids need their sleep for the port excursions the next day too! I have an 8 and 11 year old as well! Comments appreciated. Thank you. :)

My kids were allowed to roam free IF they had someone with them. I don't think midnight is unreasonable as long as he is responsible. No one can judge that but you, and there really isn't anywhere to go onboard. Sign him up for Circle C and he may find some friends to spend time with.

After about 9 to 10pm my son (11) needs to be within my view (unless he's participating in some type of supervised activity). After that he is allowed to stay up as long as he wants as long as he's not cranky. Once the crankiness sets in, we know it's time for bed! I don't think he's ever made it up past midnight.

It really depends on how easy it is to get your kids up in the morning. If they are very hard to wake up, perhaps they should come in earlier. If they are very easy, then let the 14 year old stay out till 12/12:30 depending on the day. Just make sure he checks in frequently via maybe a note in the cabin is what i did, or call your cabin and leave a voicemail. Make him do this maybe 4 or 5 times through the day. Not much they can do to get into trouble, but as the nights rolls on, there is less to do for kids his age, so he will be bored anyways.

So 12 or 1230 depending on what happens during the day, and maybe what time you want to get off at port. Also for example, some ports you are there for a short time, maybe 3 hours. Im not sure if your the type of family who likes to disembark the ship as soon as you are allowed, or whether you prefer to wait for the crowds to pass through. This could give your kids a few extra minutes of sleep if you go into port an hour after being there.

Last, im not sure if they like juice, or if their allowed, but occasionaly i would order, or go up myself, and get a few cups of apple juice for the 14 year old. He enjoyed it and also took his pills with it.

Hope i helped

Jared

Hello. Going on Liberty in Jan. Wondering if midnight was a good curfew for 14 yr old son?! Based on your cruise experiences with kids, what have you found to be a good curfew for kids? Kids need their sleep for the port excursions the next day too! I have an 8 and 11 year old as well! Comments appreciated. Thank you. :)

IMO let him stay as late as he wants, just make sure he knows what time he has to get up the next day. I think that you will find after he has to get up a 7:00 a.m. for a shore excursion he will be in early after that, at least mine did.

I have taken my grandson once a year since he was 8. He's now 17 and we're about to embark on the Liberty in January.

When he was younger, he enjoyed Camp Carnival and hanging with kids his age. I was aware of where he was and would stroll by once in a while just to keep an eye on things.

Over the years, he has proven to be a very nice kid who is not prone to stupidity. He's polite, courteous and not a trouble maker.

When he was 14 - until today - he has the run of the ship with no curfew. He usually hooks up with a couple of kids his own age and they hang out in the teen club and end up on Lido eating pizza and yakking until the early hours. He and those he is friendly with have never caused a minutes problem.

As for shore excursions, we did those when he was young. When he became a mid-teen, he loved to just sleep in half the day. And, I obliged him. The only rule was he had to be out of bed before the room stewards finished their first shift.......which is usually around 1PM. I wanted the room cleaned before they left. He has always done that. And, he had to attend the Captain's party and dinner (dressed in a suit and tie). Beyond that, it's his vacation too and he has free reign.

So.....I guess it's up to you. You know what kind of kid yours is...know if he's trustworthy, responsible, etc. I've seen teeners on a cruise who should never be allowed off a leash.

You may want to invest in walkie talkies I have noticed a lot of parents making sure their children were ok by just talking to them or at least I think it lessened their worries. We never sailed until after ours was grown but have sailed with other couples whom have used them !Just an idea if you are the worrying kind! Have a great day!

------------

Ruth

My son is 15 and I'd let him stay out as long as I was out...When I turn in, he does too. If there is an activity that is important to him, I'll stay out and about till it is over and then we'll go back to the cabin. I don't like him to be out with me asleep in the cabin. I may be paranoid, but a ship is really just a small floating city. No guarantee all those people are good guys just cause they are on vacation. :) JMHO.

Our son has been in the 12-15 group for three cruises now.

We go over the Circle C agenda right before dinner and then decide a curfew nightly.

It usually is 5 minutes after the last Circle C activity has ended - and he must stay with the planned activity after 10PM. If he doesn't want to participate in the activity, he cannot wander, he has to come back to the room.

This has worked great for us, and he is always where he says he will be after 10.

Catrin

Archived