NCL Cruise Prices - Clarification

henren

A bit of a background , I had booked on the NCL Star out of Seattle on May 16th to Alaska for $599 for me,my wife our 2 year old son and after a week , I noticed that the price had come down to $529 and I did call up NCL and they reduced my price and I changed my sailing date to May 30th. After reading and get inputs from the Alaska port of call board , I switched to the pearl since cruising Glacier bay in my time frame gave me the superior Glacier viewing itinerary since Tracy Arm would in all probability be shut out .This being my first cruise , I wanted to give myself the best chance of viewing glaciers and hence switched over to the NCL pearl , even though the price tag was $350 more and in any case , if I had booked the Star , I would have had to take the NCL jetboat tour to see glaciers upclose and that would have cost me another $450 more and so switching to the pearl made sense..As you can see by now , Glacier viewing would be my top priority in my cruise to Alaska.

Anyway back to my question , I checked the price today on the NCL site and it has again gone back to $599 for the Star and $699 for the pearl , whereas a week ago it was $529 for the Star and $629 for the pearl..I am really confused with the pricing since it is fluctuating on a weekly basis..Does the prices keep varying every week or every month . I am scheduled to pay my final payment on Mar 17th 2009 .What are the chances that the prices would go down for my Pearl cruise (currently I am paying $679 for a inside cabin) . Also , in case the price goes down in some other discount website for my same category cabin , can I call up NCL and ask them to honour that same price on my cabin and adjust my final payment accordingly?

Prices can fluctuate daily (actually they can change more than once a day). It's all related to supply and demand.

In my experience, provided that the price change doesn't specify somelthing like "For new bookings only", NCL WILL adjust your price if you catch a price decrease from what you paid (this is provided that you are still outside of the final payment date). They won't adjust it automatically though, you'll need to contact them to get it done (it sounds to me like you booked direct thru NCL-if you didn't you'll need to work thru whatever TA booked for you)

After the final payment date, it is possible that adjustments can be made (don't count on it though). And in some cases, they have given upgrades inside of final payment even when they won't give refunds.

Prices can fluctuate daily (actually they can change more than once a day). It's all related to supply and demand.

In my experience, provided that the price change doesn't specify somelthing like "For new bookings only", NCL WILL adjust your price if you catch a price decrease from what you paid (this is provided that you are still outside of the final payment date). They won't adjust it automatically though, you'll need to contact them to get it done (it sounds to me like you booked direct thru NCL-if you didn't you'll need to work thru whatever TA booked for you)

After the final payment date, it is possible that adjustments can be made (don't count on it though). And in some cases, they have given upgrades inside of final payment even when they won't give refunds.

Thanks for the response..I did book thru' NCL directly ..So does NCL only honour price adjustments for price decreases thru their website or let say that I find a lower price for my same category cabin in a different website..can I call up NCL and ask them to adjust me to the lower price , which I found in a different website..So far I did notice that most of the websites carry the same price tag as NCL..Infact..the first time , I had my price lowered..I had noticed the decrease in Expedia.com and then when I went to NCL..they had also decreasesd it and hence could ask them to lower my price..

Any idea....what was the average price tag for NCL pearl sailings out of Seattle in May end / June 1st week?Did the price reduce from December to March?

A bit of a background , I had booked on the NCL Star out of Seattle on May 16th to Alaska for $599 for me,my wife our 2 year old son and after a week , I noticed that the price had come down to $529 and I did call up NCL and they reduced my price and I changed my sailing date to May 30th. After reading and get inputs from the Alaska port of call board , I switched to the pearl since cruising Glacier bay in my time frame gave me the superior Glacier viewing itinerary since Tracy Arm would in all probability be shut out .This being my first cruise , I wanted to give myself the best chance of viewing glaciers and hence switched over to the NCL pearl , even though the price tag was $350 more and in any case , if I had booked the Star , I would have had to take the NCL jetboat tour to see glaciers upclose and that would have cost me another $450 more and so switching to the pearl made sense..As you can see by now , Glacier viewing would be my top priority in my cruise to Alaska.

Anyway back to my question , I checked the price today on the NCL site and it has again gone back to $599 for the Star and $699 for the pearl , whereas a week ago it was $529 for the Star and $629 for the pearl..I am really confused with the pricing since it is fluctuating on a weekly basis..Does the prices keep varying every week or every month . I am scheduled to pay my final payment on Mar 17th 2009 .What are the chances that the prices would go down for my Pearl cruise (currently I am paying $679 for a inside cabin) . Also , in case the price goes down in some other discount website for my same category cabin , can I call up NCL and ask them to honour that same price on my cabin and adjust my final payment accordingly?

Cruise prices, like airfares, change several times a DAY....you will make yourself crazy trying keep up.

If you have a price you can live with and a cabin you want, forget the rest of it.

NCL does not "price match" what you find elsewhere.

You can always transfer your reservation to a Travel Agent with a lower price, and hope that they will honor the "advertised" price. This also means that the cabin you want is still available. Remember, as you are reading this, somebody could be buying the very last cabin at that discounted price. It happens.

Also, before switching, make sure the price includes the same "things".

Also, if you read this boards for more than a day or two, you will find that cruiselines will sometimes run a last minute sale and sell cabins at a reduced price for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY and will not give existing customers a price break. It is a sale to fill the last few cabins.

Make sure you are happy with the price you have paid and don't look back once you have made your final payment.

What I am confused about is you called to get a price change when you were on the Star, and they changed your sailing date. Often different sailing dates have different prices. If you have a cruise that leaves four different dates in May, you could see four different prices for that same cabin and those could change every day. I also would expect to see a price drop after final payment date, and I would NOT expect NCL to do anything to compensate you for that price difference. At best I have heard they might upgrade you to a better catagory of cabin if they are available and if the upgrade to the better catagory is now what you originally paid.

What I am confused about is you called to get a price change when you were on the Star, and they changed your sailing date. Often different sailing dates have different prices. If you have a cruise that leaves four different dates in May, you could see four different prices for that same cabin and those could change every day. I also would expect to see a price drop after final payment date, and I would NOT expect NCL to do anything to compensate you for that price difference. At best I have heard they might upgrade you to a better catagory of cabin if they are available and if the upgrade to the better catagory is now what you originally paid.

The Star had lower prices for all 4 dates in May and hence when I asked for price change , I also requested them to change my date . I do understand that different sailings have different prices . NCL assured me that I can do what I want till I make my final payment (Even cancel the cruise without penalty..which I was not aware , I could do) but once I make my final payment , if the price drops ,then the only thing they could do is upgrade me to a higher category..if there is availability and my final price matches it but there is no guarantee here...I still have 3.5 months for my final payment and will just keep an eye on the price once in a while just in case it drops..

I am scheduled to pay my final payment on Mar 17th 2009 .What are the chances that the prices would go down for my Pearl cruise (currently I am paying $679 for a inside cabin) . Also , in case the price goes down in some other discount website for my same category cabin , can I call up NCL and ask them to honour that same price on my cabin and adjust my final payment accordingly?

If you are asking what NCL does after final payment, if the price goes down, my reply is they mostly tell you to take a hike.

They may offer you a room upgrade (make sure that you agree that it is a room upgrade and not a downgrade), but they won't refund any of your money or offer an on board credit like the other cruise lines will.

So watch the price frequently and if it goes down, call them to adjust your price. And double/triple check before you make final payment, because after final payment is made, it is too bad, so sad.

If you are asking what NCL does after final payment, if the price goes down, my reply is they mostly tell you to take a hike.

They may offer you a room upgrade (make sure that you agree that it is a room upgrade and not a downgrade), but they won't refund any of your money or offer an on board credit like the other cruise lines will.

You make it sound like only NCL has that policy. On a Carnival cruise they had the same policy. Price went down after our final payment and they would not give a refund or an OBC. They did offer an upgrade to a better balcony than the one we had, so we took it. I'm guessing that most of the lines have the same policy.

You make it sound like only NCL has that policy. On a Carnival cruise they had the same policy. Price went down after our final payment and they would not give a refund or an OBC. They did offer an upgrade to a better balcony than the one we had, so we took it. I'm guessing that most of the lines have the same policy.

That is NOT my experience with Carnival and I understand RCL is even more generous.

OP: Where are you from? Will you be driving or flying into Seattle?

I ask because it seems as if you have some flexibility with your cruise dates. If you are driving to the port I would 100% encourage you to cancel your current booking and wait until AFTER final payment is due before booking and jump on the "fire sale" prices.

We sailed the Star in 2007 and I am STILL kicking myself! It never occured to me to wait until the 89 day mark to book (we live in Oregon and were driving to Seattle). So I booked months in advance and booked 2 inside GTY cabins. We were NOT upgraded from our inside GTY's.

Had I waited until the "fire sales" I could have gotten 2 deluxe balcony cabins for $89 more than our inside cabins!! And let me tell you, if there is ANY way that you can swing the balcony on this itinerary I would do it!!! Not having a balcony while sailing Alaska was my biggest regret. Knowing that had I waited until closer to sailing I could have had 2 balcony cabins for a few dollars more was my second biggest regret.

Just some food for thought.

Happy sailing!

but then in '06, our ship was sold our 2 months before our alaskan cruise. so were most of the other ships. there were no "fire" sales. it varies each cruise and each year...

we booked 7 months before the cruise and, only, saw the prices rise. my SIL and her family booked 2 more cruise and, almost, didn't make it. they kept waiting for the prices to come and ended up getting the last inside cabin. 2 weeks later we tried getting my MIL a cabin (or even adding her to one of the other 4 cabins) and couldn't. they live in seattle...one of my nieces kept calling, up to the actual cruise..always told that the ship was at capacity.

it it's important, book ahead and look for price drops. if not that important, then it's fun to wait and take your chances. remember, prices don't always to down!!

but then in '06, our ship was sold our 2 months before our alaskan cruise.

it it's important, book ahead and look for price drops. if not that important, then it's fun to wait and take your chances. remember, prices don't always to down!!

Totally depends on if the OP is within driving distance. He/she appears to be flexible with the dates which is most important. I believe there are 5 cruiselines with multiple ships that sail the Alaska itinerary out of Seattle and they are looking at a May cruise during the worst economic times in 70 years so I am certain full ships and selling out will not be an issue. The fire sales for May sailing dates have historically been excellent. Odds of getting on one of the ships, in a better cabin for less money are quite good.

But if airfare is involved then never mind, LOL!

Archived