What should I expect on Spring Break cruise?

Ratdoggie

We are sailing the last week of March on Princess to the Mexican Riviera. Typically, we avoid vacationing during prime vacation times as we are not "crowd" lovers. But I didn't want to pull my daughter out of school and we figured a ship will only hold a certain amount of people no matter when you go. But now that we have booked, I do have some questions...

1. I've read that the beaches wil be crowded as it's Spring break in Mexico as well, would organized excursions that limit the number of people help us avoid the crowds? I'm thinking of Las Caletas in Puerto Vallarta for example.

2. How is the sea temp that time of year? Is the water going to be comfortable enough to swim in?

3. I'm expecting to see lots of kids on the cruise, which is great as we will be bringing our own as well. What about college kids? Not that I have anything against them, but we were all a little rowdy at that age and I'm just wondering if that is something we should expect.

We went on a Mex cruise 2 years ago during Spring Break.

I really didn't notice anything different than other cruises we've been on.

There was one group of college boys that wore togas everywhere.

There was a group of college girls that barely wore anything at the pool.

But, there were probably more groups of loud and crazy adults than anything else.

No long lines. No rowdiness.

These cruise ships are large enough and the layout is so well thought out for crowds that it's not that noticeable.

Did one Spring Break cruise on Princess. Didn't notice much in the way of college kids on the cruise, primarily younger kids. However, it is also spring break in Mexico so the beaches (especially in Mazatlan) will be crowded. We did the Las Caletas tour in Puerto Vallarta during that trip because it is a private beach and therefore, better crowd control.

Thank you to everyone for the info, it sounds like what I expected...not so bad on the ship but crowded on land. I think we will go ahead and plan on going to Las Caletas.

Any suggestions for Mazatlan, as far as avoiding huge crowds? I have a feeling Stone Island will be crowded and we are not big on shopping. We are going to try to book the Dolphin Excursion in Cabo.

• 3 weeks later...
Spring break was great a few years ago didn't really seam crowded but was our first trip over spring break.

We will wave to ya we are booked on Royal Caribbean for spring break 09.:cool:

It seems to us that spring break is no longer one specific time - don't various schools have different time slots? Am just wondering what everyone thinks will be the busiest time. We are booked on RCCL Mariner for Mar. 22, with 3 grandkids - early teens.

Here in California we have some schools that take break the week before Easter Sunday and some, like us, who are off the week after. We are going on NCL Star during our break. So for about 3 weeks the cruise lines will be busy. We plan on it being full of kids and busy at each port...if it's less then it will be a pleasant suprise!

I think March in general is a very busy time for spring breaks all over the country. For the MR trips try to consider when AZ and CA universities have their spring break weeks and try to avoid those weeks if at all possible. We were on Princess in March of 07 and it was a zoo. 2 out of the 3 major universities in AZ were on break and a few CA universites also. There were large groups of frats and sororities from all schools and you always knew who they were. The pools were impossible to swim in and there was a serious lack of control even in the dining rooms. One young gal showed up to dinner one night in what looked like a bathing suit cover up, the see thru type, and only a thong on underneath. I was pretty surprised they seated her and all the men must have had sore necks as they watched her parade thru the DR to her seat. Now, don't get me wrong, cause we still had a good time. These same groups were very entertaining to watch at the pool etc. I just could have done without the screaming in the elevators or on the tender.

Weather is about perfect in March, not too hot or humid, but the water will still be kind of chilly. I never felt the beaches were that crowded either time we have been there. Highly recommend you go to Stone Island in Mazatlan for some great beach time.

The best thing about Princess is their Youth Patrol. At least you know the younger set won't be running wild even if the college kids are.

It really shouldn't be a problem as spring break varies greatly throughout the country. Our's is March 21-28 and we are doing the Mexican Riviera on NCL Star and our ship is still quite "empty" for being less than 90 days out.

Happy sailing...maybe we'll see your ship in port!

Gina

Hi Eyeoregon...we are neighbors (from Monmouth)! We are also sailing Mar 21, but on Princess. After the weather we've had the last two weeks this cruise is looking better and better, even with it being Spring break!

It really shouldn't be a problem as spring break varies greatly throughout the country. Our's is March 21-28 and we are doing the Mexican Riviera on NCL Star and our ship is still quite "empty" for being less than 90 days out.

Happy sailing...maybe we'll see your ship in port!

Gina

Were right behind you and plan on watching the both of you leave port from the Acapulco Mexican Restaurant in San Pedro Saturday night. Were going over spring break for us but the Mariner of the Seas (with CaboWabo62 :)) is still pretty empty as well. On a 7 day cruise I wouldn't be as concerned as what you see on the 3/4 day cruises. I don't think there is any way to predict what you might encounter but my thoughts are a 7 day even though your in the Spring Break time frame your not going to run into anything you wouldn't run into on any summer cruise. I also tend to use awkward situations to teach my 14 year old what is and isn't appropriate. :eek:

BonVoyage

Dawna

:DWe are looking Forward to our Spring Break Cruise...we set sail the day after Easter....has a previous post stated, many schools in california coordinate Spring Break with Easter....We usually take our daughter out of school to go on vacation..now that she is in High School her academics is a little more difficult...

Angela

Thanks for the link Josecruz...don't you just love all the stuff you can find on the internet? I didn't realize how wide a range the spring breaks covered. It looks like the 2nd and 3rd week of March are the biggest college breaks.

Archived