Mayan Ruins of Tulum... then what?

AdamInKC

My girlfriend and I have never been to Cozumel. We have signed up for the Mayan Ruins of Tulum excursion. This runs from till 3pm and our ship does not leave until 5pm. With 2 hours to explore, what would you recommend we see? Thanks in advance!

You will make it back just in time to board the ship. The ferry could run late do the choppy seas. You might have 45mins to spare before you have to get back. I wouldnt plan of doing much after your excursion as it is a long day which will only give you about 2hrs at the ruins. The rest of the time is consumed by travel by ferry and bus. Plus they stop off at an over-priced tourist trap for a bathroom break.

You may want to reconsider taking this tour on another cruise which actually docks at the main island. You will spend quite a bit of time commuting to the ruins from Cozumel. There is so much to see on Cozumel. We rented a jeep and toured the ruins in Cozumel on our own and enjoyed it tremendously. Its very easy to get around and you can find maps on line. Then we hit the beach, its a great day. We went on a ruins tour when our ship docked in Costa Maya, we havent done Tulum yet, a little wary of the travel time involved.

You will make it back just in time to board the ship. The ferry could run late do the choppy seas. You might have 45mins to spare before you have to get back. I wouldnt plan of doing much after your excursion as it is a long day which will only give you about 2hrs at the ruins. The rest of the time is consumed by travel by ferry and bus. Plus they stop off at an over-priced tourist trap for a bathroom break.

Yup, I agree. You won't have the 2 extra hours you imagine you'll have at the end of the tour.

But, if you do, there is plenty of shopping available no matter which pier you dock at.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey AdaminKC....Are you booked for the Tulum tour thru Carnival, or have you booked independently ?

Our group is on the same cruise as you (and I think we are also taking the same excursion in Grand Cayman, courtesy Annette/ Sotos)...

We are interested in the Tulum Ruins as well and are trying to figure out if we go with Carnival or an external tour operator. Carnival is preferred given the time required for this Tulum tour...its 7 hrs long, we are docked in port for 8 hrs !

-JC

Archived