Passion Island

Greedy

I used to work for them. Heavy on the USED to. Want an enjoyable day in Cozumel? Go to Paradise Beach- great beach, large variety of food and drinks at very good prices, tons of stuff to do, comfortable chairs and umbrellas... That would be my #1 choice for a day at the beach. Hmmmm, sounds good, maybe I can go today if I get all my errands done!

My husband and I went to Passion Island last year in May. There were parts I liked and parts I didn't like. The tour guide, Alejandro - was excellent and very funny. We really liked him a lot. The bus trip out to the shore across from the island was quite riveting - literally - very bumpy, and I think it took about an hour almost. Then you ride a small boat across the water to the island. They take your picture as soon as you get there. Then if I remember correctly, they had lunch pretty quickly after we got there. It was good - the hot sauce was lip-burning but couldn't stop eating it. The guacamole was excellent, the chicken was very dry and the rest was okay. The beach was very nice - clear water, angel fish swimming around your feet and legs. There were not many people - only those from the ships. It was very relaxing. The thing I didn't like was that after spending all day out there, we only had an hour or so to buy gifts and get back to the ship since it was only a 4 day cruise with a short port stop. Oh - one other thing I didn't like, the bathrooms were quite a trek away from the beach. Everything was pretty clean though.

It was good for a couple - but we're going with our kids this year and I don't think they'd like it - plus we want to do something different. This year we're doing the Atlantis submarine, then walking around San Miguel. We plan to do some shopping and do the Cozumel mini-golf with our girls. After that we are planning to take a cab down to Paradise Beach to just hang out for the afternoon before returning to the ship.

That's my opinion - if you have any questions - just ask. I'd say if I were to do it again - I'd save the $40 per person or whatever it was and just spend it on gifts and go to Paradise Beach instead.

The price to go is either $69 or $75 per person depending on which cruise line...regardless of age...no discount for kids.

And just to let you guys know...Alex (Alejandro) is going to work for Eco Jeep and Snorkel that goes out to Punta Sur! Congrats Alex!!!

We were at Passion Island the last week in October and we loved it. We did miss meeting Solita after I had read many of her posts on the board. The trip out was "interesting", but the beauty of the beach and the excellent lunch made up for it! Restrooms were extremely clean, food was mahi-mahi and chicken along with delicious fruit, guacamole and chips, salad, and more I can't remember thanks to too many Coronas. We paid $75 each but loved every minute of it and our picture came out great!

Next year for variety we will head for Paradise Beach as I have heard many good things about it too.

Sorry I missed you Mary. Hope your guide took good care of you. Things/people are changing BIG out there over the next couple of weeks. I know that you will love Paradise Beach on your next visit. I love heading out there. In fact, that is where the picture of my foot was taken!

It's nice to know it's really your foot! LOL

And a lovely foot it is indeed. I just love you and Sally and Tom - you all are wonderful representatives of a wonderful island.

Here's hoping I get to meet at least one of you in 68 days!!

We LOVE Passion Island! Been there at least 5 or 6 times since 2002. This will be the first year we haven't gone there, in fact...gonna head to PB this time around.

I feel it is a great value even at $75 PP, and I never paid for my child because he doesn't drink and eats very little. Of course, if I ever had to pay for him I'd probably go elsewhere for the reasons I mentioned already. Still, the place is beyond words to describe and I highly recommend it for anyone once. Whateveer you do though, you're in for a real treat.

Look out PB Tom, we're coming in January!

Solita...I took the same pic of my foot! :D Yes our guide did take good care of us at Passion Island, but now we are looking forward to Paradise Beach when we come to Cozumel next year with the Valor Vampires! Maybe we'll get to meet you this time! I'll bring the Opi! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to hear an honest heads up comparison of the two beaches. lets hear from Solita, Tom and Sally. Anyone else that has been to both, please join in. We will be there in a few months and are trying to make a decision. We know the price for Passion, what can we expect to spend at Paradise and what will we get for the $.

Everone be honest and keep disagreements out of it, please.

Looks like you found some info about the tour out to Passion Island. I loved working there but so much has changed out there since I have left the company. They have had large cut backs in staff because of low numbers of tourists and some services/quality have suffered because of that.

I spend as much time as I can now at Paradise Beach. You can't beat the view, great water, and warm sunshine. Not to mention, the yummy food and cold drinks at very reasonable prices.

You made a smart decision in choosing Paradise Beach for your trip in May.

I would like to hear an honest heads up comparison of the two beaches. lets hear from Solita, Tom and Sally. Anyone else that has been to both, please join in. We will be there in a few months and are trying to make a decision. We know the price for Passion, what can we expect to spend at Paradise and what will we get for the $.

Everone be honest and keep disagreements out of it, please.

I am interested in this also! I had planned to vist when I was there in April but, do to Carnival switching port of calls on us we didn't make it:( Back than it was free, what are the cost involved now, Please! (Like the price of the pineapple drink someone asked about on another thread:))

I haven't been to Paradise Beach, but I have been to Passion Island. My advice is to go to PB instead. I thought Passion Island was way overpriced for the 2 1/2 hours you got to stay at the beach. The food was okay, nothing special. I thought the beach was beautiful, but it sounds like PB is just as nice. The drinks at PI were very watered down, and the lines were so long, I was having to order 2 double rum punches at a time. I left feeling like I hadn't had anything alcoholic to drink, and I didn't eat that much,.

PINEVIEW01...entrance, beach chairs and umbrellas are free. If you´d like to use any or all of our beach toys (kayaks, floaty mats, full snorkel equipment, trampoline, climbing iceburg) there is a $5USD p.p. charge. (cheap!) I'm not allowed to post our website, but just dig around, it´s easy enough to find. We have our menu (with prices) listed on it, so you can figure out how much you´re gonna spend....hasta la vista!

Here's my take on the Passion Island vs. Paradise Beach dillema, copied from my post on another thread...

Up until recently I had friends who worked at both, so I never weighed in on a question like this. I still have the friends, but one is no longer working at Passion Island. Now, let me be clear, I have never been to Passion Island. However, at a minimum $69 per person, this tour has always felt rather expensive to me. Let's run through an example:

One couple pays at least $138 to go to Passion Island. They go when they're told, they return when they are told. The food is buffet style with limited choices. Beach lounges are the hard plastic curvy kind, non-adjustable. No snorkeling.

Another couple goes to Paradise Beach. For argument's sake let's say they dock at Punta Langosta, the dock furthest from PB. They pay $13 in cab fare. They go when they're ready, be it 7am or 2pm. They each drink 5 foo-foo drinks at $6.50 each, plus $5 each to use all the water toys: floating mats, sea kayaks, iceberg climb and water trampoline. Amazingly comfortable beach lounges with quality umbrellas are free of charge. Snorkeling is limited but present. While there, they order a plate of nachos supreme (and they ARE supreme) to snack on ($8), then dine on Shrimp Scampi ($18) and a grilled 14 oz certified Black Angus rib eye ($24). When they feel like it, they take a cab back to the ship for another $13. The total including the most expensive drinks and meals, comes to $151.

A more typical couple goes to PB, has a couple of buckets of beer (price not listed, I'm guessing $12 each bucket?), a certified Black Angus half pound burger with melted american cheddar cheese ($10) and a fish sandwich with spiced grilled fish of the day ($9). Including water toys and round trip cab fare, their total comes to $79.

When you figure kids into the mix, Passion Island becomes an even more expensive option.

Just my 2 cents, or $151 worth :)

Archived