Cell phone rates on gem to bahamas

Partyatsea

Hi all,

A few questions regarding your experiences with cell phones on the ship....I am looking to just keep in touch with home regarding emergencies!

I have T-Mobile, boyfriend has Nextel. Any idea what the charges run? I have been told that T-Mobile is $4.99 per minute.

Does NCL charge you over and above your cell phone company?

Any experiences with using prepaid phones or any ideas as to how we can cut the cost of receiving calls on the ship?

I have been told that even tho your cell phone is off, if you don't set the call forwarding to immediate pick up by voice mail that you will be charged. Any experiences with that?

Is it true that the NCL number 1-888-627-4477 charges the caller from the USA to call you on the ship and if so how much?

Once off the ship in the Bahamas are you only charged by your cell phone company?

I hesitate calling our providers in fear that I will get wrong info.......trust your experiences more!

Thanks,

Liz:D

Hi all,

A few questions regarding your experiences with cell phones on the ship....I am looking to just keep in touch with home regarding emergencies!

I have T-Mobile, boyfriend has Nextel. Any idea what the charges run? I have been told that T-Mobile is $4.99 per minute.

Does NCL charge you over and above your cell phone company?

Any experiences with using prepaid phones or any ideas as to how we can cut the cost of receiving calls on the ship?

I have been told that even tho your cell phone is off, if you don't set the call forwarding to immediate pick up by voice mail that you will be charged. Any experiences with that?

Is it true that the NCL number 1-888-627-4477 charges the caller from the USA to call you on the ship and if so how much?

Once off the ship in the Bahamas are you only charged by your cell phone company?

I hesitate calling our providers in fear that I will get wrong info.......trust your experiences more!

Thanks,

Liz:D

I can tell you from experience that Nextel won't work on the ship or in the Bahamas. My boss has T-Mobile and called us throughout his last cruise. I'll ask him tomorrow what he paid per minute.

You have selected the two worst carriers to us on the Gem, As posted Nextel will not work on any ship. T-Moble the most expensive. Where the other main carriers charge $2.49 a minute for calls. T-Moble is happy to rip off its customers at $4.95 per minute.

Check here http://www.cellularatsea.com/roaming.htm

But I do know that you need to sign up for international calling. It's free to sign up for. Also, not all phones can handle international calls, though most do. Check with T-Mobile website if your phone does.:confused:

Following link above. T-moble

international_roaming.gif

< Return to Roaming Overview

Bahamas

Rate per minute : $2.99

Country code : 242

The cost varies by carrier and that is who you should check with.

While on NCL ships:

Verizon Wireless is 2.49 per minute and you need to update your roaming capabiities prior to cruising.

I have heard that T-Mobile is the most expensive.

Not all cell phone companies have service in the Bahamas when off of the ship.

Archived