need help on snorkeling on grand caymen/jamacia

xrisman

ok,,, the question i have is,,,,we need to find a snorkeling company for grand caymen and ochio rios jamacia,,,,we could go through carnival,,,but we learned from the help of cc folks we can find a better and cheaper outside the cruise line,,,,,,,we've done stingray city b4 so thats outta the question,,,,,but we are beach people and love to snorkel,,,,so the 2 islands are grand caymen and ochio rios that we could use some help finding 2 good companies to go through for some good snorkeling......any suggestions we would really appreciate it....thanks to all,,,and happy holidays!:)

ok,,, the question i have is,,,,we need to find a snorkeling company for grand caymen and ochio rios jamacia,,,,we could go through carnival,,,but we learned from the help of cc folks we can find a better and cheaper outside the cruise line,,,,,,,we've done stingray city b4 so thats outta the question,,,,,but we are beach people and love to snorkel,,,,so the 2 islands are grand caymen and ochio rios that we could use some help finding 2 good companies to go through for some good snorkeling......any suggestions we would really appreciate it....thanks to all,,,and happy holidays!:)

Unfortunately Jamacia snorkeling is really bad. Don't waste your money, do the falls or go river rafting. I'm sorry, it's just the truth. The reefs were fished out long ago and the coral is all bleached.

However, on GC, do a shore snorkel, it's free, minus any equipment you need to rent and there are two places close to the tender docks, eden rock (a 5 minute walk) and Sunset house (a 2-minute taxi ride). Both have professional dive centers that can show you where the best snorkeling is. Personally, I, and others on this board, like Sunset House a bit better. Little, if any crowds, good dive center, great reef, and great bar for after your snorkel. Taxis are readily available in Georgetown and SSH so no problem with getting to/from and you can snorkel for as long as you want without having to live on someone else's schedule.

Randall

Personally, I, and others on this board, like Sunset House a bit better. Little, if any crowds, good dive center, great reef, and great bar for after your snorkel. Taxis are readily available in Georgetown and SSH so no problem with getting to/from and you can snorkel for as long as you want without having to live on someone else's schedule.

Randall

Any tips on taxi service out of the cruise port? I went to the area designated for taxis, but they only had vans and did not want to take just the two of us. They told us to go to the street to catch a cab, but they weren't readily available and we ended up walking to SSH - a bit of walk with gear in tow. Getting back was easy as the good people at My Bar called for us and we had a cab in 2 minutes.

Here's the web site for Eden Rock:

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

There are lockers and a rinse trank on the dock. Good shore snorkeling here, and is a walkable distance from cuise pier.

I haven't been to Sunset House, so can't comment. Maybe next time. :)

If you want a boat snorkel, there are a number of good independent operators. I've been happy with Capt Marvin, but there are others. If you go w/Marvin, book the "full day". You''ll visit Coral Gardens, the barrier reef and finally the inevitable Stingray City. Marvins office is just a couple blocks from the pier.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived