Timing with Mario Tour-Panama

pdz

We will be in Panama Christmas Day on Carnival Freedom. We plan to take Mario's tour of the Canal, Indian Village and Waterfalls. Anyone done this tour before and if so was it a problem getting back to the ship for the 4:00 departure. He says it gets back to the ship for 3:30. Is the timing too tight? pdz

We just got back from the Freedom and did this exact same tour on Thanksgiving day. It was an unforgettable experience and you won't be disappointed. There were others from CC on our tour so perhaps they will add their opinions. We started with a boat ride to the waterfall which was impressive. It was a bit of a hike along the waters edge to get there, but not too bad. You must wear sturdy sandals or tennis shoes...flip flops won't cut it on this tour. Then we went to the Embera village and had lunch (fried tilapia and plantains), watched dancing, and learned about their way of life. This part felt a bit rushed to me and I wish we could have stayed there longer. Then we took the boats back to the bus and went to the Gatun locks. The bus ride was long...like 2 hours, but once you get to the locks you're only about 10 min. from the ship. The locks were also rushed, but we were there enough time to watch 1 ship and get the gist of how they work. I honestly couldn't imagine spending my entire day in Panama just going through the locks. Compared to everything we saw in one day, the locks were mostly good information and very interesting, but not what made our trip. We got back at 3:35 as promised with just enough time to take a quick pass through the tiny vendor stands at the port. The ships tours didn't get back until 5:30 or so which, from what I understand, is quite common in Colon. Carnival never leaves at 4:00 because there are some ships tours that go all the way to Panama City and almost never make it back on time.

I hope you enjoy this tour as much as we did!

We were with Cal.Girl last week - on Thanksgiving actually. Wonderful tour - great guide (we had Lori) and what a neat cultural experience. As stated, we didn't get back to 3:35, BUT Lori went out of her way to assure us all would be just fine. It was after 6 before the engines started up. My only complaint (and this is minor) is that our group wasn't aware we were getting ready for the walk to the water fall, we all thought it was the indians, so we had our backpacks and everything. That did make the trek to the waterfall a bit more difficult. AS stated above, definately bring water shoes - I ended up carrying my flip flops. It was a great experience!

My husband and I just got home from a cruise that included Colon. Mario was fantastic. He understands the importance of getting back in time and will make sure that you make it back to the ship.

You'll have a great time with him.

We will be in Panama Christmas Day on Carnival Freedom. We plan to take Mario's tour of the Canal, Indian Village and Waterfalls. Anyone done this tour before and if so was it a problem getting back to the ship for the 4:00 departure. He says it gets back to the ship for 3:30. Is the timing too tight? pdz

We will also be in Panama on Christmas Day aboard the Freedom. We are doing the exact same tour with Mario. We are a group of 18. Maybe we will be on the same tour together?

• 2 weeks later...
We will also be in Panama on Christmas Day aboard the Freedom. We are doing the exact same tour with Mario. We are a group of 18. Maybe we will be on the same tour together?

Would love to hear how this tour went, leaving in January and thinking of booking this

thx

Would love to hear how this tour went, leaving in January and thinking of booking this

thx

This excursion was perfect and very well executed. Enrique was in charge of our big group and made sure we were all taken care of. Lots of bottled water and soft drinks and snacks for the duration. The locks were so so- not interested in them myself since we live in Michigan and have been to the Soo Locks. Seen them one seen them all. The Indian part of it is incredible. You take a powered canoe(kind of a long ride) to the Waterfall first and have to walk the rest of the way to the waterfall. this was very difficult-it was like rock climbing! But our group made it Ok but anyone with diffuculty walking will have to bow out. The waterfall was incredible and one of the highlights. then back to the Indians where they served us water and soft drinks and fresh fruit and fried fish and plantains. Then they danced for us and showed us their wares. This big family of Indians actually live there-listen carefully to their story - it is fascinating. Then a short canoe ride back to the bus-the bus moved must have moved to another location and then a short time at the Locks before heading back to the boat. It was a long bus ride because their roads are so terrible you can only go 20 miles an hour. but all in all, a great experience and our group from 9 to 81 really enjoyed it. The Indian part of it took a long time so not much time for shopping after visiting the Locks. Enjoy!

Archived