San Juan at night help??

emsmother

We will be in San Juan from 5-midnight in January. We are considering doing either the Horseback riding at night or the biobay tour. Our group of 9 is mixed on what to do. Primary concern is what do you really see at night while horseback riding? I know that both of these tours have a long drive there and back so we are kind of wondering if either one is worth it. We have 2 kids in our group ages 7/11. Any feedback would be great.

Well, first check your date to make sure the moon is good for viewing.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/biobay-and-moon/

Here is my review of the experience. Kayaking Puerto Rico is great, and they will be able to provide you transportation too. Contact them (instead of doing an excursion through the cruise ship and save some $$).

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/bio-bay-in-fajardo-by-kayak-or-boat-a-glowing-experience/

I don't know about the horseback riding. If there is a full moon, that might be pretty cool. If there is not, I assume they will provide you headlamps so you can see where you are going. You will be able to hear all our night animals/insects calling (it can be loud!). The coquis will be calling I am sure!

Coquish, we will be in San Juan on Sunday night December 14th and the calendar shows it as "fair". Does that mean I shouldn't try and go at that time? We will only have the one night there after our cruise.

Thanks.

Well.... the moon is large that night, but it rises at 8:12pm. If you get on the first trip that night, it will be ok. Don't plan on the later trip, it will be too bright.

Some companies that go out will bring tarps to block the moonlight. That helps a lot.

Coquish- We will be in PR on the Eurodam jan 6. The night is considered FAIR just one night before viewing is poor. Based on your comments months ago I cancelled the tour with the ship. My view then was if we need a tarp to get the experience, why even do it, and we should wait until the next trip back. Do you agree?

Coquish- We will be in PR on the Eurodam jan 6. The night is considered FAIR just one night before viewing is poor. Based on your comments months ago I cancelled the tour with the ship. My view then was if we need a tarp to get the experience, why even do it, and we should wait until the next trip back. Do you agree? .

Personally, I think I would wait until another time if it is only fair, but I know I can go any time I want. If it is once in a lifetime thing to see it and you will never be back here... I might go depending on the moon rise.

For your dates in Jan, the moon rises at 1pm, so at 6pm it will be mid sky- really pretty bad.

For their dates, the moon is very large, but not rising until a bit later. It won't be directly overhead when they go, but it won't be pitch dark either. But the first trip for them should be pretty good.

But again.... it is a lot of money, and it won't be best viewing.

With your Jan date, I personally wouldn't go. For their Dec date, I would probably go.

Has anybody done the night time horseback riding? Also I learned that I cannot sign up my 7 1/2 year old through carnival for the biobay tour due to an age limit of 8. Has anybody done this tour through a private company while in port from 5-mid. without worrying about missing the ship?

Has anybody done the night time horseback riding? Also I learned that I cannot sign up my 7 1/2 year old through carnival for the biobay tour due to an age limit of 8. Has anybody done this tour through a private company while in port from 5-mid. without worrying about missing the ship?

I think 6 yrs old is the limit for the kayaking companies, so 7.5 should be fine.

Contact Kayaking Puerto Rico directly....someone last week said they used them with their transportation and had no problem but I can't find that post.

The problem doing it on your own would be making it to the kayak dock before they leave at 6:30p. If you get on the first trip out, you will be back at the dock by 8:45p, so back at the cruise ship by 10:30p at the latest.

I don't know about the horseback riding in the dark.

Archived