Nassau, Free Beaches?

summersfunnc

This will be our third time in Nassau and we are becoming familiar with riding the local buses. On our last trip out to the Wyndam area we passed a couple of beach areas. Is there a charge to go there? Is it something a person might like to do?

We have never been out the other way from town, away from Ardastra Gardens, what is down that way?

What bus to the Queen's steps?

Thanks ever so. We are on a strict no spend budget since having to replace the heatpump after booking. Free advice welcome, sailing Majesty Dec.13th

Looks like I'll be on this sailing with you on the Majesty Dec 13. There appears to be a beach within walking distance of the port (about 0.5 to 1 mile to the west of the port). From my research, they appear to be free. Not sure about bathroom access, but the guidebooks say you can probably sneak into a hotel and use the facilities. Or just walk back to the ship?

Looks like I'll be on this sailing with you on the Majesty Dec 13. There appears to be a beach within walking distance of the port (about 0.5 to 1 mile to the west of the port). From my research, they appear to be free. Not sure about bathroom access, but the guidebooks say you can probably sneak into a hotel and use the facilities. Or just walk back to the ship?

The beach you are talking about is Lighthouse beach.. it's located just west of town. No facilites, no bathrooms, no lifeguards etc.. except during spring break.

None of the FREE beaches will have any amenities, only Cabbage Beach is near a hotel, which sometimes allow cruisers to use the restroom, sometimes not.. depends on who's on security that day.

Those beaches that you see as you go toward Cable Beach are indeed free beaches, but some of them have undertows that can be quite dangerous. Last summer, a policeman lost his life in a sink hole along Goodmans Bay, and open public beach.

Knowing what I know about these areas, I wouldn't go swimming without a lifeguard present. You pay for beach passes from the hotel for a reason. Once of them is safety. Hotel beaches are also raked and maintained daily. Public beaches are not.

Archived