Open Water on the cruise?

Lorethian

I really could use some advise from the sage's here. My family and I are going on the NCL Spirit in January. We are thinking about taking Scuba classes this month before we go, but the question is will we be able to get our open water certification on our first dive of the cruise or are we still going to have to do "discover scuba"?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Open water certification requires 5 dives, which you would not be able to do in one port. I don't think that anyone would be willing to sign off on 1-2 dives of the certification. You should either complete the course before traveling, or just do the discover scuba dives.

CSTX MOM is correct. I would not trust a dive shop that would certify you in one day. You need two solid days. Can you go to your cruise port early and do the two days before you sail?

quote=Lorethian;17220210]I really could use some advise from the sage's here. My family and I are going on the NCL Spirit in January. We are thinking about taking Scuba classes this month before we go, but the question is will we be able to get our open water certification on our first dive of the cruise or are we still going to have to do "discover scuba"?

There is an excursion company (shoretrips dot com) that offers certification in more than one port. You would do two dives in one port and then two more in another. The dive centres work together and arrange for the paperwork to be done. It is expensive.

I really could use some advise from the sage's here. My family and I are going on the NCL Spirit in January. We are thinking about taking Scuba classes this month before we go, but the question is will we be able to get our open water certification on our first dive of the cruise or are we still going to have to do "discover scuba"?

Yep agree, you're best bet is to go in early and do your certifications in Florida (assuming that's where you're leaving from). You could do them in Ft. Lauderdale, or do the one hour drive and do them in Key Largo (my preference). Good luck!

Randall

Open water certification requires 5 dives, which you would not be able to do in one port. I don't think that anyone would be willing to sign off on 1-2 dives of the certification. You should either complete the course before traveling, or just do the discover scuba dives.

Actually, PADI Open Water certification is only 4 dives done over two days.

It would be some work to do the certification dives while on a cruise, especially if you have to make your own dive arrangements, but it is definitely possible.

Actually, PADI Open Water certification is only 4 dives done over two days.

It would be some work to do the certification dives while on a cruise, especially if you have to make your own dive arrangements, but it is definitely possible.

The 5th dive someone referred to could be the snorkel dive, which is usually done with one of the other 4. I'm assuming that's what he was talking about.

How are you Bruce?? tapping fingers waiting to dive with you again!

Happiest of Holidays to you and your family!

I did my book & pool work and took the written part of the test at home at the local dive shop. Using the Universal Referral Form (given to me at the local dive shop) I did my 4 check out dives for my certification while on my cruise. I arranged it ahead of time and was able to do 2 dives in St Thomas and 2 in Barbados. It worked out well for me.

How are you Bruce?? tapping fingers waiting to dive with you again!

Happiest of Holidays to you and your family!

Thanks. We're all doing well. I'd love to dive with you again. We have to see what the next cruise brings.

Lorethian,

A few years ago our 3 teens did their pool and course work at our local dive shop in Indiana. We took the Universal Referral Form mentioned by Jeleja and prebooked the open water dives in advance. They did 3 (1 was a brief snorkel "dive") at Eden Rock in Grand Cayman, and the remaining 2 in Roatan. The divemasters filled out the Form and signed off but they didn't actually get c-cards until we returned home and took this back to the dive shop. It worked out fine but they had to do a lot of skills work on the dives rather than enjoying the dives to the fullest like other certified divers. That said, if possible I'd follow Randall's advice and get certified ahead of time but, if not, it's doable.

Archived