Dumb cell phone question

ddpe

I have AT&T with a razr phone. I travel a lot for work and AT&T told me that I already have international roaming in my features. However, when I get to the country - Japan, Great Britain, Italy, Mexico, etc., I see the new network when I open the phone, but can't call anybody.

What am I missing? I just read something about needing to put a +and then country code to dial the numbers in my address book. I have tried country code with no success.

I would like to text my kids while on the Ruby in 2 weeks.

Anybody know what my problem is?

Thanks in advance. Please be specific if I have to type something special or turn on a feature.

The to call Detroit, Michigan from London, England would be;

00 00 is the international prefix used to dial somewhere outside of U.K..

1 1 is the international code used to dial to U.S.A..

313 313 is the local area or city code used to dial to Detroit.

5645879 is the local number

Not sure if this is true of all cell phone carriers but for AT&T cell phones, hold down the "0" until you get a "+" which replaces the 011. Then, just dial the phone # in the U.S. with a "1" prefix. For instance, you'd dial "+12125551212" (+ 1-212-555-1212) to call Information in NYC. AT&T makes it easy in that all you have to remember to call the U.S. is to get the "+". If you look at your cell phone keypad, I bet you see a little "+" under the 0.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/long-distance/international-long-distance-faq.jsp

Wouldnt the easiest answer to the op's question be to just dial 00 before the number?....

I know thats what you guys are all trying to say, but it was getting a bit long and amlost technical.

Simply put, to call to the US, just ad a 00 to the beggining of the number.

Part of your challenge is that different countries have different international access codes.

In some countries the international access code changes in different parts of the same country.

That's why most mobile telephones have the function of the "+", which automatically enters the correct numerical code.

Unfortunately, American cell phones are so primitive that some don't even have this function, and others that do appear to have it don't work properly when you try to use it.

To be safe, you should Google "International Access codes", and carry a print out with you when you travel so that you will at least have a good starting point to make your calls.

We have always found that to text someone you don`t need to add anything to the number but to phone them you do. Don`t know why.

I know this because I found myself speaking to a German lady in Germany when I phoned my sister, also with me in Germany. We had been texting each othe previously with no problem.

Archived