Looking for dive operator recommendations in Baja Mexico

cruzegirl

I will be sailing in May to Mexico stopping at the ports of Mazatlan, Puerta Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. I'm curious about dive shops there and conditions? Temps? Wet Suits? Thanks in advance.

I was on a land vacation in April 2007 in Cabo San Lucas. I initially booked with Mantas for our diving, but after dropping by the shop I decided not to go with them. My decision was based on the condition of their rental gear (I brought my own gear to Cabo) in the store and I just had a bad feeling. So, I never question my gut feeling and found another dive operator. I ended going with Tio's and had a great time.

Conditions in April were pretty good. Sea of Cortez was about 72 degrees and the Pacific was around 68 degrees. In the Sea of Cortez I was fine in my Water Proof 3mm wetsuit (not a hyperstretch). The Pacific side was a little cooler, so a 5mm would have been better, so would gloves, and a beanie :D. If you get cold easily, then bring a 5mm wetsuit.

My favorite dive was diving with the sea lions. That was absolutely incredible! Too bad my camera batteries died on me. Oh well.

I was on a land vacation in April 2007 in Cabo San Lucas. I initially booked with Mantas for our diving, but after dropping by the shop I decided not to go with them. My decision was based on the condition of their rental gear (I brought my own gear to Cabo) in the store and I just had a bad feeling. So, I never question my gut feeling and found another dive operator. I ended going with Tio's and had a great time.

Conditions in April were pretty good. Sea of Cortez was about 72 degrees and the Pacific was around 68 degrees. In the Sea of Cortez I was fine in my Water Proof 3mm wetsuit (not a hyperstretch). The Pacific side was a little cooler, so a 5mm would have been better, so would gloves, and a beanie :D. If you get cold easily, then bring a 5mm wetsuit.

My favorite dive was diving with the sea lions. That was absolutely incredible! Too bad my camera batteries died on me. Oh well.

Hi RHT,

Thanks for the info. I do now recall Tio's being mentioned before. Do you have a website for them? And I agree. Never not trust your gut instinct. Sometimes, things just don't seem right.

Ok, I have a 3mm. I'll probably do that with a dive skin. I don't have a 5mm but have a 7mm and hate the restrictions/tightness of that one. lol. I have the rest of it. Sounds like it was like Acapulco was in April 2006. That's good. Just don't want it California cold. lol.

Yeah, the Sea Lions are cool. We get them many times out here in California. They are so curious. It's funny. I was taking photos as a new diver. And boy did someone shine on me. Check out this guy. It was all luck. And thanks again for the info.

1293339458_DivephotosandHawaiiphotos003.jpg.f6ccaaebdd4c3c7f5e973bd85b084009.jpg

Hi RHT,

Thanks for the info. I do now recall Tio's being mentioned before. Do you have a website for them? And I agree. Never not trust your gut instinct. Sometimes, things just don't seem right.

Ok, I have a 3mm. I'll probably do that with a dive skin. I don't have a 5mm but have a 7mm and hate the restrictions/tightness of that one. lol. I have the rest of it. Sounds like it was like Acapulco was in April 2006. That's good. Just don't want it California cold. lol.

Yeah, the Sea Lions are cool. We get them many times out here in California. They are so curious. It's funny. I was taking photos as a new diver. And boy did someone shine on me. Check out this guy. It was all luck. And thanks again for the info.

Here's the website http://www.tiosports.com/dive.php

I agree that the 7mm would be way too thick. I was fine in my 3mm, just my hands and head were chilly on the Pacific side. I learned on that trip to always bring my gloves and to buy a beanie. I love the picture!

I initially booked with Mantas for our diving, but after dropping by the shop I decided not to go with them. My decision was based on the condition of their rental gear (I brought my own gear to Cabo) in the store and I just had a bad feeling. So, I never question my gut feeling and found another dive operator. I ended going with Tio's and had a great time.

I just dove in Cabo and booked with Manta Scuba Divig, the service they provide was excellent as well as their staff. I highly recomend Manta, give it a try!

Mandy

Seems like we have a difference of opinion here.

Since Mandy actually dove with Manta, then I defer to her opinion. As I said, I just had a bad feeling and who knows if it was justified. :D

I'd still go with your bad feeling. I'm a strong believer that divers need to follow their feelings about calling a dive or going with a dive op.

Archived