Choice of Galveston Hotels

seafood

Since Hurricane Ike hit Galveston, the choices of hotels have been very limited. Does anyone know what the Beachcomber Hotel on 61st St. is like? We are looking for a 1 night stay pre cruise but don't want to pay over $100. Any information would be appreciated.

We stayed here in Jan. 2006. I have no idea what conditions are like now, but then it was a clean, decent nights sleep. We had free parking for the cruise & clean sheets. The taxi to the port was about $15. There was a Waffle House next door for coffee. That was about all it took to fill our needs.

Ok! Thanks for the input. Now for another question, please give the names of several hotels that are near the Strand. DW & I always like to walk around and do a bit of shopping in the city where we are staying pre-cruise.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I received word from the Harbor House that they will be open when we sail, Feb 15, 2009. The downtown historic district is within walking distance and there's lot's of shopping and restaurants. We stayed at the Best Western on the sea wall last time and ate at the worst Mexican restaurant! It was truly awful, worst we've ever had and served cold!When we saw the Harbor House prior to departure on our last cruise, the DH and I both said, that's where we need to stay next time. Great restaurants (seafood) right next door!:) Hope this helps!

I'm trying to decide as to which hotel to choose for a pre-cruise stay in March. The choices are Holiday Inn Resort (5002 Seawall), Hilton Island Resort, San Luis Resort, and Moody Gardens. If you had to choose between these hotels, which would be your first choice, last choice, and why? Thanks in advance for all comments/responses.

I need a pre-cruise hotel for an April cruise. I ended staying in Houston. With the money I saved I can hire a Town Car to take me to the port.

I booked Harbor House yesterday for 4/4 and we set sail on the VOS 4/5. We arrive in Houston about 1:15 on 4/4. Since it is just DW & I, we will be hiring a towne car to transpo to Galveston. We didn;t want to sit around and wait for a shuttle.

I received word from the Harbor House that they will be open when we sail, Feb 15, 2009. The downtown historic district is within walking distance and there's lot's of shopping and restaurants. We stayed at the Best Western on the sea wall last time and ate at the worst Mexican restaurant! It was truly awful, worst we've ever had and served cold!When we saw the Harbor House prior to departure on our last cruise, the DH and I both said, that's where we need to stay next time. Great restaurants (seafood) right next door!:) Hope this helps!

SoonerOne,

The historic district (Strand area) of Galveston was heavily damaged by Hurricane Ike. You might want to check on restaurants/shops open in that area on www.galveston.com.

I booked Harbor House yesterday for 4/4 and we set sail on the VOS 4/5. We arrive in Houston about 1:15 on 4/4. Since it is just DW & I, we will be hiring a towne car to transpo to Galveston. We didn;t want to sit around and wait for a shuttle.

Mustangjoe,

Can you please tell me what phone# you called and who you spoke to at Harbor House? I called today (i had to call Hotel Galvez and then be transferred to the central reservations desk b/c the phone#s for Harbor House were not working). "Rosa" told me they are not currently taking reservations and suggested calling back every month to get an update. Our cruise is on 6/7/09 and she said she thinks they will probably be open by May to take reservations. I am wondering how you got lucky enough to make a reservation! Perhaps I should call back and talk to someone else?

Thanks for any help you can provide! :-)

Since Hurricane Ike hit Galveston, the choices of hotels have been very limited. Does anyone know what the Beachcomber Hotel on 61st St. is like? We are looking for a 1 night stay pre cruise but don't want to pay over $100. Any information would be appreciated.

Call Gaidos or Commodore on the seawall.

Mustangjoe,

Can you please tell me what phone# you called and who you spoke to at Harbor House? I called today (i had to call Hotel Galvez and then be transferred to the central reservations desk b/c the phone#s for Harbor House were not working). "Rosa" told me they are not currently taking reservations and suggested calling back every month to get an update. Our cruise is on 6/7/09 and she said she thinks they will probably be open by May to take reservations. I am wondering how you got lucky enough to make a reservation! Perhaps I should call back and talk to someone else?

Thanks for any help you can provide! :-)

I have a reservation at the HH for our 3/22 cruise, I just called (409) 763-3321 to confirm that they had it since I made the reservation through AAA. They do have my reservation. I was told that the only problem was that the elevator would not be working yet; I told her that we won't have a problem with walking up the stairs.

I have a reservation at the HH for our 3/22 cruise, I just called (409) 763-3321 to confirm that they had it since I made the reservation through AAA. They do have my reservation. I was told that the only problem was that the elevator would not be working yet; I told her that we won't have a problem with walking up the stairs.

I heard the upstairs are working great, but there are some problems with the downstairs. Thus, you should not have any problem getting up to your room, but I think those on the second level have to just jump, those on the middle levels have a slide, and those on the top level get parachutes.

I heard the upstairs are working great, but there are some problems with the downstairs. Thus, you should not have any problem getting up to your room, but I think those on the second level have to just jump, those on the middle levels have a slide, and those on the top level get parachutes.

I think that we will be on the top floor, do you think that they will have parachutes available? If they are not free, where can I get a couple of them? Maybe I will check on Ebay:D

Ok here's my dilemma.

I was going to rent a car from IAH to the port. It seems there are no rental agencies near the port so that is out.

I would like to buy my 2 bottles of wine in Galveston. Are any hotels walking distance from stores where I can buy my wine.

Ok here's my dilemma.

I was going to rent a car from IAH to the port. It seems there are no rental agencies near the port so that is out.

I would like to buy my 2 bottles of wine in Galveston. Are any hotels walking distance from stores where I can buy my wine.

I don't live in Texas, but you may run into some interesting laws regarding alcohol sales and Sundays down in the bible belt.

I don't live in Texas, but you may run into some interesting laws regarding alcohol sales and Sundays down in the bible belt.

Thanks, I found out that you can't buy alcohol until 12:00 PM on Sundays. However we are flying in a day early on a Saturday. What a weird law.

Can anyone on this thread tell me if it's worthwhile to stay in Galveston at:

1) Baymont Inn and Suites

2) Candlewood Suites or

3) Commodore on the Beach?

Please rank-order your recommendations. I'm planning a pre-cruise stay on Sunday 5/10 before my Ecstacy cruise the next day.

Thanks in advance,

James

Can anyone on this thread tell me if it's worthwhile to stay in Galveston at:

1) Baymont Inn and Suites

2) Candlewood Suites or

3) Commodore on the Beach?

Please rank-order your recommendations. I'm planning a pre-cruise stay on Sunday 5/10 before my Ecstacy cruise the next day.

Thanks in advance,

James

Hi, I don't know how much I'll be able to help you because I haven't stayed at any of these places. However, I'm getting married in April and I've been traveling around to all the various hotels and talking to people about group rates, etc. As far as service goes, Baymont and Commodore have been very helpful and knowledgeable. Another one across the street from Candlewood that's been helpful is Spring Hill Suites. They're all comparable in price. The Candlewood and Spring Hill are newer than the Commodore and Baymont, with the Commodore being the oldest. If you're one of those people who likes new interiors, you might want to go with Candlewood or Spring Hill. Even the Baymont isn't too old looking. The Baymont and Commodore will offer Gulf Views, whereas the other 2 might offer a view of the bay from higher floors. It just depends on what you're into. I've read good and bad reviews for all of the places.

Hi, I don't know how much I'll be able to help you because I haven't stayed at any of these places. However, I'm getting married in April and I've been traveling around to all the various hotels and talking to people about group rates, etc. As far as service goes, Baymont and Commodore have been very helpful and knowledgeable. Another one across the street from Candlewood that's been helpful is Spring Hill Suites. They're all comparable in price. The Candlewood and Spring Hill are newer than the Commodore and Baymont, with the Commodore being the oldest. If you're one of those people who likes new interiors, you might want to go with Candlewood or Spring Hill. Even the Baymont isn't too old looking. The Baymont and Commodore will offer Gulf Views, whereas the other 2 might offer a view of the bay from higher floors. It just depends on what you're into. I've read good and bad reviews for all of the places.

As long as the place isn't run-down or seen its better days, I can manage a night there. I typically prefer 3-star hotels at a minimum. With your input, I'm leaning toward Baymont or Commodore. Last time I stayed in Galveston was at the La Quinta far up Seawall Blvd somewhere above 80th street. While it was spacious, it seemed something was off about it.

James

As long as the place isn't run-down or seen its better days, I can manage a night there. I typically prefer 3-star hotels at a minimum. With your input, I'm leaning toward Baymont or Commodore. Last time I stayed in Galveston was at the La Quinta far up Seawall Blvd somewhere above 80th street. While it was spacious, it seemed something was off about it.

James

You might find that the Commodore has "seen better days." I don't particularly think it's that bad, but it is a little dated. On reveiws I've seen, it's the number one complaint.

People are meant to be in church on Sunday. Thus, no liquor sales until after noon. Only beer and wine can be purchased on Sunday, no hard liquor.

You can only get beer here in Oklahoma on Sunday, so consider yourself lucky:D

I stayed at the Commodore in December. It was very clean and the views were awesome. The service at the front desk was the best service at any hotel I have been at. There also did not seem to have any long term residence like several of the other hotels in the area. Parking is also free in the winter for the cruise duration and they will call a taxi for you.

Robin

Archived