Language Barrier in Mexico?

Sexxxy Beast

My family is betting that most of the people we will encounter in PV, Mat., and CSL will speak english enough to understand us. We dont plan on using the cruise ship excursions... I personally think we should learn atleast some phrases in spanish so we can get around.

If none of us learn to speak "some" spanish will that be a problem?

My family is betting that most of the people we will encounter in PV, Mat., and CSL will speak english enough to understand us. We dont plan on using the cruise ship excursions... I personally think we should learn atleast some phrases in spanish so we can get around.

If none of us learn to speak "some" spanish will that be a problem?

You should be able to manage...BUT...it is nice (and polite) to at least know some phrases:

Thank You - Gracias

Your Welcome - De Nada

How Much? - Quando? (I think...please correct me if I'm wrong).

One I use (a lot)..No Gracias (No Thank You) That's all I say (with a smile) when I'm in Cozumel and the shop owners are trying to get you into their store. They appreciate that more than ignoring them. I'm thinking about putting that one on a T-Shirt :D

My Favorites:

Un Mas Cervesa por favor (1 more beer please)

Dode esta el bano? (Where is the bathroom).

You should be able to manage...BUT...it is nice (and polite) to at least know some phrases:

Thank You - Gracias

Your Welcome - De Nada

How Much? - Quando? (I think...please correct me if I'm wrong).

One I use (a lot)..No Gracias (No Thank You) That's all I say (with a smile) when I'm in Cozumel and the shop owners are trying to get you into their store. They appreciate that more than ignoring them. I'm thinking about putting that one on a T-Shirt :D

My Favorites:

Un Mas Cervesa por favor (1 more beer please)

Dode esta el bano? (Where is the bathroom).

First, You will be fine. Most know a ton of english. Yes it is polite to speak some spanish and they love it when you do. To make some corrections above,

Donde esta is where is, not dode.

How much is Cuanto not quando.

They will know what you meant, but saying it outloud will sound a bit different.

The most important you should probably know is Gracis and por favor. Also, No gracias is beneficial too---no thankyou

First, You will be fine. Most know a ton of english. Yes it is polite to speak some spanish and they love it when you do. To make some corrections above,

Donde esta is where is, not dode.

How much is Cuanto not quando.

They will know what you meant, but saying it outloud will sound a bit different.

The most important you should probably know is Gracis and por favor. Also, No gracias is beneficial too---no thankyou

That 1st one was a typo...bad fingers:)

TY for the correction on the 2nd...couldn't remember the spelling :)

Esto es exactamente el mismo como en Los Angeles...

Todos nosotros decimos el español...

Seriously, en Ingles:

It helps to know or understand a little Spanish...You may run into some people who don't speak English...or see signs that are in Spanish only...Speaking the local language always helps, wherever you travel...

But, in the three main cities you visit, English is spoken...and spoken well...by a large part of the population...especially those working in the tourist industry and in businesses supposrted by the tourist trade: tour guides, restaurant personnel, shopkeepers, bartenders all speak excellent English...Cab drivers can be hit and miss--but all will understand basic things like "Downtown Puerto Vallarta"...of course, it helps to say "Downtown Puerto Vallarta, por favor" (pronounced "pore fah-vore")...and it is nice to say "gracias" ("Grah-see-oss") (thanks) at the conclusion of an interaction or transaction...or even Muchas gracias (much thanks) or mil gracias (a thousand thanks)...

Another thing to remember if that cabbie doesn't speak English is "Cuanto?" (how much?) or "Cuanto cuesta?" (How much is the cost?)...often follow this with "En dolares americanos? o pesos?" When asking any price this may be REALLY important--there's about a 10 to 1 difference...

You likely won't really need to memorize any of this...That cab driver, though he speaks virtually no English, usually does understand things like "How much?"...He probably knows more English than you do Spanish...

Have fun...

Most of the locals we encountered spoke some english. No abla espanole mean that you don't speak spanish.Loco means crazy agua means water.

Everyone excusrion we booked was off the ship in the ports you are going to and we never had a problem.I found all the locals very friendly and some of them even tried to pronounce our names.This is our second trip to Mexico( difference ports of call) but the people of mexico are great..they would make fanastic manitobans:D

That 1st one was a typo...bad fingers:)

TY for the correction on the 2nd...couldn't remember the spelling :)

Dont feel bad bro, quando is portuguese for "when" And Onde is portuguese for "where"

meu amigos mexicanos entende tudo que me fala quando eu usar portuguese, hehe!

Archived