Cruising single

TillThen

I have been on three cruises so far, RCCL, NCL and most recently Sapphire Princess 11/15 Mex. Riv. I was travelling with friends on all these cruises, and thoroughly enjoyed them all-my favorite was the recent Sapphire cruise. I would like to go on another cruise in Jan or Feb, but none of my friends can make it, so I'm thinking of going by myself. Just would like some advice on cruising as a single person, eg best ways to meet people, which cruise line is best suited for single people etc. Another MR cruise would be my first choice as I live on the West Coast so it's easy, and affordable, for me to leave from LA or SD. I'm female, in my mid-40s if that makes any difference...not trying to make this a singles column, just hoping for some advice from other single cruisers. Thanks.

I'm a single female in my late 40's, and I've gone solo on six of my ten cruises, including a recent 18 night Transatlantic. I find people who cruise to be very friendly folks. Attitude has a lot to do with my enjoyment as well. It's my choice to be either friendly or shy. And I almost always have a blast. Of course, I make friends with the bartenders, spending more than a few evenings in the various lounges. (I made several new friends hanging out in the Wheelhouse Bar on the Emerald Princess.) The trivia quizzes are another great way to meet people. There's one, sometimes two every day. I just show up and always get invited to join a group.

Check out the Solo Cruisers board under Special Interest Cruising. You'll get a lot of advice and encouragement there. To me, cruising is one of the easiest ways to travel single. I think you'll have a great time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

As previously noted, the single/solo board here on CC is a great resource. I've cruised solo on all three of my cruises, and find that the best way to meet people (onboard or off) is a winning smile and a lively expression. Have a wonderful time!

Caro

Archived