San Diego Cruise Port Info Please

bobnsandi

We're scheduled to depart Snd Diego 12 Dec (Sunday) aboard the Legend of the Seas. We'll be taking a red-eye from Maui to LA, and connect to Linburgh Field, arriving about 8:30 A.M. We understand cab fare from the airport to the cruise terminal is minimal, so we'll probably do that. But, a few questions once we've arrived at the cruise terminal mid-morning, totally sleep deprived...

> Anyone know what time we'll be allowed to board the ship?

> Anyplace within walking distance to pick up soft drinks for the cruise?

> Nearby restaurants for breakfast and (possibly) lunch?

Mahalo for sharing your knowledge.

Sorry I can't answer your first question. However, there are plenty of restraunts, etc. adjacent to the terminal. Directly across the street is a Holiday Inn with restraunt facilities. Down the street (to the right of the Holiday Inn) is a small restraunt which is extremely inexpensive. There are other places to eat but I don't think they open until lunch time. Best bet is the Holiday Inn. There is an Elephant & Crown inside which has both buffet or menu service. I've eaten there while on travel for my job and found the food to be very good. The smaller restraunt is also good.

Enjoy your cruise and San Diego. If you have a chance walk down the boardwalk to the Seaport Village. It's really nice. Great place to visit.

Enjoy

dave

You're lucky, the port in San Diego is very tourist friendly. Several nearby restaurants, a lot to see within walking distance. The airport is maybe a 5 minute drive to the port, I think you would probably be able to drop your bags off early, usually embarkation is not until at least 11:30 or 12 noon. Right outside the cruise terminal you can pick up the Trolley Tour and take a tour of the city. I think you can purchase tickets at http://www.historictours.com for a slightly discounted price. The tour can last 2 hours, or all day, depending on when and if you choose to get off. It's a nice way to see the sights of San Diego, we love to get off and have lunch at the Hotel Del Coronado, or perhaps you would like to have lunch in Old Town, some great restaurants there. We also love Balboa Park and the wonderful museums there.

Have a great trip! I often wonder why people would want to leave Hawaii for vacation, aren't you already there?

You're lucky, the port in San Diego is very tourist friendly. Several nearby restaurants, a lot to see within walking distance. The airport is maybe a 5 minute drive to the port, I think you would probably be able to drop your bags off early, usually embarkation is not until at least 11:30 or 12 noon. Right outside the cruise terminal you can pick up the Trolley Tour and take a tour of the city. I think you can purchase tickets at http://www.historictours.com for a slightly discounted price. The tour can last 2 hours, or all day, depending on when and if you choose to get off. It's a nice way to see the sights of San Diego, we love to get off and have lunch at the Hotel Del Coronado, or perhaps you would like to have lunch in Old Town, some great restaurants there. We also love Balboa Park and the wonderful museums there.
Thank you so much for your assistance. We used to "do" San Diego frequently when we lived in Orange County, but we've been away from California > 20 years, and much has changed. The trolly sounds like a great idea, and we'll certainly consider it if we can get our luggage checked or secured somehow/somewhere.

Have a great trip! I often wonder why people would want to leave Hawaii for vacation, aren't you already there?
Well, we love it here and definitely enjoy our non-working hours on our beautiful island. My hubby tells me that he'll take me to Maui every weekend, and he does... But, it has been a year since my husband has been off island and he's a bit anxious to see something different (I travel more frequently for business and get to Oahu often, and even the mainland a few times a year.)

That said, we love cruising and have wanted to "do" the canal for years. This works with our schedule, so we're off. But, all said and done, no matter how wonderful the cruise is, come 27 December we'll be very, very happy to get off that airplane on Maui.

Archived