My OPINION of RCCL Serenade of the Seas 10/30 - 11/6

Stretch, if glasses are that important to you, you are probably going to hate X. It has been 4 years since I was with them, but they basically had two types of glasses. Champagne flutes and the typcial bordeaux round wine glasses like they have on RCI.

I think in the pay dining rooms on X they do have nicer glasses.

I, honestly, think you are thinking too much about your job!:p

jc

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Stretch, if glasses are that important to you, you are probably going to hate X. It has been 4 years since I was with them, but they basically had two types of glasses. Champagne flutes and the typcial bordeaux round wine glasses like they have on RCI.

I think in the pay dining rooms on X they do have nicer glasses.

I, honestly, think you are thinking too much about your job!:p

jc[/QUOTE]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]I won't let it bother me too much, as long as the wine is served prior to the entree, something that didn't happen on our last cruise. [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000][/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000][/color][/size][/font][/i]

Stretch,
Yay! I love t-shirts. "X-Snobs, Inc"..........can't wait. :rolleyes:

It's RC4me,
I think the OP was voicing her opinions and her experience. She even said so several times in her post. I certainly didn't take it as RCCL "bashing". Not every line is perfect!!!!!!

[left][font=Arial][size=2]After re-reading the review, I would have to classify it as condescending, even if it wasn't intended. I know the intended purpose was to draw parallel's to people's past dining, lodging and cruise experiences, but really, who goes with any [b]frequency[/b][size=4]*[/size] to the French Laundry, Mesa Grill, Olives, or to the Ritz Carlton for that matter. I was left with the impression that they frequent these places often, if not exclusively.[/size][/font][/left]

[font=Arial]I am however comforted but the fact that she mentions casual dinning options such as Outback Steakhouse, Chili’s, Friday’s or Olive Garden, as I am sure most of us here do dine in these restaurants on a regular basis, not that it is the greatest food, but convenient. The fact that she was able to compare the food to these restaurants tells me that she is familiar with the menus, and caliber of food, and dines there herself. The following comments below are what I found to be the most condescending;[/font]

"For those of [b]us [/b]whose call food and wine their passion and don’t flinch at traveling to visit restaurants such as Olives (Todd English), French Laundry (Thomas Keller), Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay) – you will be sorely disappointed."[b](the use of the word YOU might have been a better choice here.)[/b]

"My personal opinion (yet again) – if the type of shows offered at minimal cost on the Vegas strip appeal to you, you are going to LOVE the environment/activities on this Ship. If you prefer the higher end shows like Cirque de Soliel “O” or Elton John/Celine Dion in Caesar’s Palace, you probably won’t be wowed. Many of the activities and humor are geared towards those on a permanent cruise buzz – if you know what I mean! So, if you spend your cruise vacation on a permanent buzz – you will be thoroughly entertained!"

[left]"If you frequent Holiday Inns, Hampton Inns or Days Inn when traveling you will feel like you are in a Grand Palace – nothing will disappoint you."[/left]

[left]Sorry, but that's the way I see it. [/left]

[left][b]*My definition of frequency is at least 2 times a month.[/b][/left]

i do not think the original poster ment to do anything more than post an honest review of there cruise. that is what this board is about. I am not into reading tone on a post. I thought it was well thought out and painted a picture from a different perspective. could they have toned it down a little yes.. but why.. it was good reading and if someone can relate to it great if someone can't thats great too. we should rememebr that this forum is for posting reviews/perspectives and asking questions we don't all have to be the same and we don't have to like everyone! but i certainky think that slamming someone for taking the time to post a review is wrong..

[font=Arial][size=2]nosbunny, that is hardly what I said. Don't try to distort what I meant. I simply meant that not all of us here FREQUENT these places.

While the use of the word "us" was grammatically correct, I think the word YOU, would have made it more accepted by all. That's all I meant. She used YOU in all of the other analogies, but not this one.

Judge for yourself;

"For those of [b]us [/b]whose call food and wine their passion and don’t flinch at traveling to visit restaurants such as Olives (Todd English), French Laundry (Thomas Keller), Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay) – you will be sorely disappointed."

For those of [b]YOU [/b]who call food and wine their passion and don’t flinch at traveling to visit restaurants such as Olives (Todd English), French Laundry (Thomas Keller), Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay) – you will be sorely disappointed.

[/size][/font]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Gee whiz, again! Can't we just move on to something more important, like criticizing the OP's use of punctuation, or perhaps spelling......... Some of you folks need take off your RCI halo, I think it's squeezing your brain.[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[quote name='stretch'][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Gee whiz, again! Can't we just move on to something more important, like criticizing the OP's use of punctuation, or perhaps spelling......... Some of you folks need take off your RCI halo, I think it's squeezing your brain.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i][/QUOTE]
Da*# thanks Stretch....I was wondering where those headaches were coming from.:D
[font=verdana][size=1][b]brn2crz,removing crown![/b][/size][/font][url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZZzebYYY"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cus/e_3_10.gif[/img][/url]

[b]Thanks for a truly fair and honest review. It's the reviews that list the good with the bad that make me take notice vs the constant fluff you seem to always get from the loyalists.[/b]

[b]Why people call other people snobs because they may have a preference on certain things is beyond me. [/b]

[b]I guess some folks like plain vanilla whereas others like variety.[/b]

[b]Thanks again and good luck in your future cruises.[/b]

[b]BD[/b]

I'll ask it again.......but why, would one expect such high level service on a a cruise line that does not claim to be in the same caliber as perhaps, Crystal, or Raddison????? You pay much more on the aformentioned cruise lines for a reason. The level of service (maybe correct wine glasses too) would be more likely with these cruise companies.

Just a little bit of research, prior to cruising, would have informed the OP of this and their would have been no surprises/dissapointments. Don't you think??

MTS

[quote name='LoriLinay']Beth, I think I'm a SMURFS.. Single Mom Under Real Financial Strain.[/QUOTE]
I love it! I'm definitely a SMURFS too. If I stopped coloring my hair, I'd probably have the blue hair to match.:D

I work with someone who lived in Alaska for the last several years, and she's given me the names of local restaurants for us to try. Since I live in what we refer to as the "chain restaurant capitol of Southern California," it will be nice to experience new things. Of course, that's why we're going on this cruise -- for my son and I, dining is just one part of this trip. (OK, OK...I'm lying...he's a 14-year-old jock with a bottomless pit for a stomach. His middle name should be "Windjammer.")

Laurie

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]I must admit that finding this thread has brought some much needed entertainment to an otherwise boring hump-day.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Thank you![/color][/size][/font][/i]

[b]"Thanks for a truly fair and honest review. It's the reviews that list the good with the bad that make me take notice vs the constant fluff you seem to always get from the loyalists.[/b]

[b][b]Why people call other people snobs because they may have a preference on certain things is beyond me. "[/b]

[color=#000000][/b][/color]
You have hit the nail on the head! This is exactly what is so upsetting about Sunny Bunny's review. She states that anyone who doesn't have her high standard (in other words anyone who is a complete moron when it comes to food and wine) will love this cruise. NOT TRUE. IMHO why can't you enjoy simple pleasures of a cruise without finding fault with every little thing. People who can enjoy the moment whatever that may be are truly blessed with a happy life. I think Sunny Bunny's wine glass may be half empty while others will be half full. I truly feel sorry for this Sunny Bunny, doesn't sound like she knows how to let lose and have a good time. I think I need a martinis now.

[quote name='stretch'][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]I must admit that finding this thread has brought some much needed entertainment to an otherwise boring hump-day.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Thank you![/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i][/QUOTE]

I'll have to agree with you on this! ;-))

MTS

[quote name='MTS']I'll ask it again.......but why, would one expect such high level service on a a cruise line that does not claim to be in the same caliber as perhaps, Crystal, or Raddison????? You pay much more on the aformentioned cruise lines for a reason. The level of service (maybe correct wine glasses too) would be more likely with these cruise companies.

Just a little bit of research, prior to cruising, would have informed the OP of this and their would have been no surprises/dissapointments. Don't you think??

MTS[/QUOTE]

My wife and I were fortunate enough to take our first cruise this year on The Constellation. Beautiful ship owned by RCI! Great attention to detail, excellent food along with red and white wine glasses. We liked it so much we rebooked for 2005. Unfortunately the itinerary changed so we decided to give The Serenade a try since she was going to the destinations we desired AND the price was the same. So tell me why is it the opinion of so many that you need to book a much higher priced cruise line to get outstanding service and excellent food on your cruise.

[quote name='strype2']Sunny Bunny can't help it! Sunny Bunny is a SNOB not a DINK![/QUOTE]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Another example of a well thought out response, congratulations![/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_100.gif[/img][/color][/size][/font][/i]

[quote name='cwallen']My wife and I were fortunate enough to take our first cruise this year on The Constellation. Beautiful ship owned by RCI! Great attention to detail, excellent food along with red and white wine glasses. We liked it so much we rebooked for 2005. Unfortunately the itinerary changed so we decided to give The Serenade a try since she was going to the destinations we desired AND the price was the same. So tell me why is it the opinion of so many that you need to book a much higher priced cruise line to get outstanding service and excellent food on your cruise.[/QUOTE]

Plainly and simply because the expensive fare you pay on say Crystal or Raddison, allows the cruise line to purchase better quality food for their passengers.

So you honestly think that cruise lines that charge three, four, five maybe six times the fare of say Carnival, or RCCL, should provide equal service and food quality to those charging so much less? If that were the case, the high end cruise lines would be out of business! I mean what incentive would their be for folks to go and pay these HUGE fares on the high end lines?

Have you heard the old saying, you (usually) get what you pay for.

MTS

MTS

[quote name='MTS']I'll ask it again.......but why, would one expect such high level service on a a cruise line that does not claim to be in the same caliber as perhaps, Crystal, or Raddison????? You pay much more on the aformentioned cruise lines for a reason. The level of service (maybe correct wine glasses too) would be more likely with these cruise companies.

MTS[/QUOTE]
Perhaps that was the very purpose of the review - to help others with their research.

And never does she say she had a terrible time. She did not focus her entire review on the dining experience. It was simply one portion of the review. And plainly stated by her, her opinion only.

That is why I don't understand those reading all this other stuff into it. Where does she say that she is better than anyone else? Where does she say that there is anything wrong with enjoying average dining fare? She simply stated her experience and reactions, clarifying the context of same. Again, that is what I personally want from a review. I am certainly glad I don't have such a low self esteem that I see insults in every innocent comment or review. :eek:

MTS[/QUOTE]
[b]Please point out where the OP is expecting service beyond what is offered? Actually if you read it properly she rated the service onboard a 9. Way back when I learned to count, scoring a 9 was as close to perfect as one could get. Somehow if they had unrealistic expectations it would have come out in the wash when rating the service levels.[/b]

[b]If they served you plastic forks onboard and you mentioned that you would have preferred stainless steel forks for dinner would that suggest you belong on Crystal or Raddison? I think not as it was merely an observation.[/b]

[b]BD[/b]

MTS, I think you need to re-read my post. I think I stated that we had excellent food and premier service on Constellation at the same price as Serenade. My question is why do so many defend the "lesser quality" of food on RCL ships? I haven't sailed yet so I cannot attest to whether it is equal to or less thn Celebrity, but by the postings I have seen so far RCL loyalist it seems everyone is "ok" with getting less for an equal amount.

Archived