WARNING Katakolon Shoppers

Taxguy77,

That is terrible! They are just trying tro catch you late to get some interest?

I will never feel secure with a card again. Our local bank told us the problem was we should have said we never recieved the package! If we said that rather than it was broken then we would have gotten our money back. I asked to get the money back on the insurance they charged us for and the postage to send it back to Greece but we were firmly told the case was closed.

If anyone goes to Katakolon next spring let me know and I will send the picture of the sales person.

It may or may not help,but send all your paperwork/notes on calls/names etc to Omsbundman re CondeNast Traveler magazine(look for colum re address in the magazine),to see if they can be of any help.It really sounds like you got screwed big time by Citibank and I would as I mentioned before send a lter with copies all the way up the chain of command..written as nicley as possible of course.I would also post a letter reo CB to your local BBB,and anyone else you can think of.One never knows where help may come from.

I'm sorry this has happened to you...

but I do want to thank you for your info on Greece.

We will be doing an extensive land vacation there next year.

As experienced travelers as we are this was a 1st to us about Greece.

Because of your nightmare, from now on we will check the policies on each credit card for each country we visit!

• 2 weeks later...

After reading your posts I feel so bad for you & all of your problems. What poor business practices. Shame on citibank for behaving in such an unprofessional manor. I guess the bailout was not enough for them they need your money as well! I for one will be checking my cc policies before I go abroad & make purchases. When we were in Giabralter in 06 we went to a Lladro store that was recommended by the ship I bought two very expensive retired pieces of Lladro & one pice of lalique. I must say thankfully they reached me in good shape no breakage. I did not even have to pay for shipping because I came from the ship. I never gave a thought about anything going wrong. Your situation has opened up my eyes. I guess it is that old addage buyer beware! I hope that you get some sort of compensation.

Thank you Dutchess,

The box of broken glass arrived back in Hawaii on Friday. :eek: Citibank closed the file and vowed to not reopen it under any circumstance. They claim the box was not recieved by the seller, but in fact the seller refused it. We found someone who had a billing problem with Citibank and they said there is a published "Code of Conduct" that he used and after many months he got his bill fixed. So this is our next option.

I do not understand why they just do not reverse the charges and bill the seller. As a business owner we saw this happen and usually the card holder has more influence. Not in this case, all I can think of is Citkibank's service is run by the going out of business department.

Thanks for your post. When the unimaginable happens it is nice to know the experience can at least be a warning to others.

Hulamoon any updates? I saw by your last post that the seller refused the package what a trashy thing for them to do. The seller does not care because they have already been paid by your cc & do not want to give up the bucks. I am wondering do they have some sort of a BBB like we have here in the states? I still am shocked that citibank is not standing behing their card policy & now closed the case. I have had prolbems with some purchases Amex, & Discover had taken on the merchants on my behalf. I now am very cautious with puchashing items this is after I use to buy eveything if it wasn't nailed down. I call it selected buying. This goes for buying merchandise on board, & especially the islands in the Caribbean. Hope this gets resolved for you, do not give up this is what they want you to do.

We have left messages with Citibank and hoped we would hear today. I will keep you updated. What happened with your purchases? We learned buyer beware has as much to do with our credit card company as it does our purchases.:eek:

We have left messages with Citibank and hoped we would hear today. I will keep you updated. What happened with your purchases? We learned buyer beware has as much to do with our credit card company as it does our purchases.:eek:

You will love this one I was told I was purchasing a Salvatore Feragamo pocketbook from a reputable store not buying off of a corner(knock off) only to find out it was a knock off. Well the store denied it! Good thing I kept my receipt the store told me basically tough! I called my cc & it was tough on them, after I faxed my cc all of my paper work including whom I spoke to they disputed it. I returned the bag & that was the end of that! Another time I was charged twice for an item. Once again contacted the store & was told that they would credit me for the second charge. I let it go for one statement & when the next statement came of couse the credit was not there. Called my cc told them, they put it in dispute & you will see how quickly the credit got posted. I for one go over all of my cc statements when they come in you just never know.

Archived