NCL Star for Disabled and Wheelchair Passengers

Johncn

Hello,

My wife and I are on Norwegian Star for the December 13 sailing, and will be documenting the accessibility of the ship for those in wheelchairs, and for with special needs.

If you have questions about this ship's cabins, public areas, or procedures, or even if you need measurements taken, please post to this thread, and Rebecca and I will try to provide information. :)

Regards,

Johncn

I can't wait to read your report when you get back. We have made several comments that we have never seen as many of the "hoverround" type chairs as we saw on both of our cruises on the Star. We thought maybe it was specially designed for that or something. Not saying those have the same access issues as wheel chairs, just noticed a lot of them on that ship.

• 2 months later...

Hi John, I hope you and your wife enjoyed your cruise on the Star, it's one of my favorite ships. I have a question about the bathroom in the rooms that have accessibility. I had a problem with the width of the door separating the toilet from the rest of the bathroom. A walker is a little wide for the opening, what did you find in the accessibility bath room?

I was on the Star in December in a HC balcony cabin. The bath rooms in those cabins do not have a separate door or area to the toilet they are all in one big open room. The door to the bathroom is very wide but you do have to go up an incline to get into the bath which I found to be cumbersome, and dangerous to walking in the room.

This cabin also had fixed beds that could not be moved, one on each side of the cabin facing opposite directions.

Regarding Hoverround chairs or that type of power chair. They do not do well on the gang plank to shore at all and I mean when docked, they don't do well on any incline more than very slight. Scooters do much better in that department. I have a power chair and in some ways would prefer it on a ship but not to take off the ship and they don't break into pcs like scooters so much harder to transport in non accessible vehicles.

I will probably sell mine.

Archived