New York City - the good, the bad and the almost catastrophic

crusinmama06

I know this is the cruise board but since I share my trips with you all, I might as well tell you about this one. ;) And hey, it IS a port....lol.

We took the kids for their first trip to New York City.

Let's start with the good. The kids got to see Statue of Liberty, the tree at Rockefeller, FAO, Toys R Us, Times Square, Top of the Rock and we even rode the subway. The city is really beautiful all lit up. There were santas on the corners...the streets in front of Rockefeller were all blocked off from traffic so everyone could walk in the street. It was like a big party with lights, cotton candy and costume characters. :D

The bad - I decided to take an umbrella stroller for BOTH kids, including my 8 year old, just in case. I knew that getting up at 4am, walking NYC for 12 hours from 11am-11pm is tough for most adults, let alone a child. So by nighttime, it was freezing and my 8 year old was beat. She sat in the one umbrella stroller and we headed to the "Top of the Rock".

The security guard looked at my daughter and said "Isn't she too old to be in a stroller?" :rolleyes: I said "Yeah, she would be if she wasn't a child who's had to walk the city for the past 10 hour and had to be up at 4 to be here" He said "Yeah, I have kids too." :rolleyes:

So this got me thinking. Wonder if she had a condition, mental or physical that required her to be in a stroller for her own safety? Why would someone comment on it? There were a few adults on the street that looked at her. I was going to put a sign on her that read "Yes I am an 8 year old and I am too tired to walk" :p

Now onto the almost catastrophic - My oldest daughter and I both got pretty banged up on the bus. When we got to NYC, my daughter wanted to sit next to my mom, so I was standing next to their seat talking to them. The bus driver slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting a car. I went flying about 6 seats. My daughter's face slammed into the hand rail on the back of the bus seat in front of her. Thank God she had her face turned and she wasn't looking to the front or she would have hit her braces. I thought she broke her cheek bone, she slammed that hard. I have bruises on my back and a huge 10" bruise across my hip where I landed.

But everyone was screaming on the bus. All I wanted to know was if my youngest was ok because she was sitting by herself in her own seat

(I had been sitting with her but left her to take my 8 year old to my mom's seat.) My husband was sitting in front of my 4 year old. So I jump up and go running back to her. She's just sitting there. I asked if she hit anything and she says "Nope!" Crazy kid. :D

I thought for sure she would have gone flying. Heck it threw me and half the bus but for the grace of God, she somehow managed to stay seated.

All in all, my 8 year old was fine after she calmed down. She just has a bruise on her face. I am fine, stiff and bruised but fine. And my youngest, thank God, wasn't harmed at all.

So that was our adventure in NYC. My kids want to go back in March. God help me.

Now onto the almost catastrophic - My oldest daughter and I both got pretty banged up on the bus. When we got to NYC, my daughter wanted to sit next to my mom, so I was standing next to their seat talking to them. The bus driver slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting a car. I went flying about 6 seats. My daughter's face slammed into the hand rail on the back of the bus seat in front of her. Thank God she had her face turned and she wasn't looking to the front or she would have hit her braces. I thought she broke her cheek bone, she slammed that hard. I have bruises on my back and a huge 10" bruise across my hip where I landed.

:eek: Eeek that is scary! Glad everyone is ok!

Sounds like a good trip and glad you are all ok. My son is a big ten year old and has a special stroller. When people make comments to him he responds with smart comments like:

Why walk when you can roll?

Yep, I am too lazy to walk

Saving all my energy for later

My mom is my chauffer

Be lucky you were only asked one time. People have tried to tell him to get out of the stroller, as I say no thanks and keep walking

You mean like I have?;)

Yes, exactly like YOU. :p That's why I said it...lol. :D

Be lucky you were only asked one time. People have tried to tell him to get out of the stroller, as I say no thanks and keep walking

I have never experienced that kind of reaction before. People did stare at her. One little girl made a comment to her dad. I excused that one as being young. I was in New York. You would think they would be tolerant of anything. :eek:

I can't even imagine what you have to face. That's what I was thinking the entire time. Wonder if she was autistic? Wonder if she was epileptic and needed to stay seated for her own safety?

Your son has some great comments. :D I'll have to remember those.

the older child in a stroller used as wheelchair is a common problem, just read the Disneyworld Disabilty boards some time.

It amazes me that people feel they have the right to comment of the supposed circumstances of other people that they do not know anything about.

I use a wheelchair or scooter and constantly have people tell me they wish they could ride like that, Well just give up other important parts of your life and you too can ride! not to mention those that stop suddenly in front of me, step backward into my path and the best of all suddenly turn around to change direction and end up in my lap. Yes that has happened on at least four occasions and almost more than that , and there was the cigerette, that hit my cheek as someone in a no smoking area was swinging it in his hand at his side hidden from view as he walked through a crowded area.

I am sorry you and your daughter were hurt on the bus that really stinks. Hope you are both ok now.

...Which bus was it? I'm dying to know. Was it an MTA bus, one of those awful double decker tour buses or your bus from home to NY? I work in Times Square so I am betting on the tour bus.

Glad to hear nobody was seriously injured.

Funny-we were in NY yesterday too and stopped at the tree on Rock Center. Maybe we saw you there ;)!

I use a wheelchair or scooter and constantly have people tell me they wish they could ride like that, Well just give up other important parts of your life and you too can ride! not to mention those that stop suddenly in front of me, step backward into my path and the best of all suddenly turn around to change direction and end up in my lap. Yes that has happened on at least four occasions and almost more than that , and there was the cigerette, that hit my cheek as someone in a no smoking area was swinging it in his hand at his side hidden from view as he walked through a crowded area.

How horrible! I'll have to check out the Disney board. People should realize how lucky they are to be 100% healthy and not have to use those things.

...Which bus was it? I'm dying to know. Was it an MTA bus, one of those awful double decker tour buses or your bus from home to NY? I work in Times Square so I am betting on the tour bus.

Glad to hear nobody was seriously injured.

Funny-we were in NY yesterday too and stopped at the tree on Rock Center. Maybe we saw you there ;)!

No, it was the bus from home. But now you'll have to tell me...what's the deal with the double deckers? I was going to book that tour. I held off to get the tickets and when we arrived in NYC I saw all of the On Strike signs. What's going on with that? There was no way I was going to cross a picket line to ride a bus...lol.

Michelle- so sorry about the bus. That has happened to me too but not to the extent that it happened to you. We were on the top deck of the bus in Madrid a couple years ago and my son really whacked his mouth and teeth on the metal bar in front of the seat. The bus had to stop suddenly in traffic. So everyone- make sure your kids sit back in those bus seats and aren't sitting too close to the metal bar! My son's teeth are very crooked and I have no idea if this effected his adult teeth.

NYC is alot of fun though and I am glad you had a good time. It must have been difficult with the strollers in Time Square! It is a mobscene there. Been there done that!

In all fairness, some people love them and swear by them as an easy way to see a lot of NYC in a short time.

But every time I see one driving by, it looks like it's about to plow people down - and their sales people are obnoxious, standing in the middle of the sidewalks accosting people.

Michele, I am happy as I am sure we all are, that everyone is safe and sound. Having said that, there is NOTHING like Christmas time in Manhattan. :)

Having a dd with Asperger's who looks "normal" to most people, we have dealt with some unusal situations, especially at Disney.

Let's just face it, no easier to take, but no matter where we travel, from the largest cities to the smallest towns AND even in our own families :mad:, there are people who are ignorant and callous.:rolleyes:

Archived