Just Off the Fantasy~~Will Never Sail Carnival Again

AquaWtr4me

Sorry you had a bad cruise. I say there is never a bad cruise. Just got off the Splendor in which that embarkation was the worst I have ever seen in 24 cruises. However, once on board it, I left the experience back on the pier.

You do bring up a valid point about CCL and the Cat 12 suite perks. Having sailed on RCCL and Princess, I do know they have more in cabin perks. Something in which CCL may look at someday.

Being that the Fantasy is almost 20 years old, she must be showing her age regardless of her recent dry docks. As LHP states, don't judge the whole cruise line on one of her oldest ships. Try one of the new ships!

Lastly, when I sailed on NCL, RCCL and Princess they did add the tips to my account the first day. So not sure why this would surprise you. Of course you can adjust if you feel they don't warrant.

Ports

Tips

We always pre-pay our tips anyway, but we learned that this is automatic on this ship or on carnival period. I do not know, but this explains so much about the wait staff since they already have your money, they don't have to impress you at all. I think this is a bad idea and I would suggest carnival remove this mandatory charge.

You should really do your research before you cruise, Because if you had alot of your " problems " could have been avoided. And the pre-paid tips is not mandatory. That is a choice your pvp or TA provides you and you can choose not to pre pay and also if you choose not to pre pay you can adjust your tips accordingly.

You should really do your research before you cruise, Because if you had alot of your " problems " could have been avoided. And the pre-paid tips is not mandatory. That is a choice your pvp or TA provides you and you can choose not to pre pay and also if you choose not to pre pay you can adjust your tips accordingly.

I assumed the OP meant that the tips were automatically charged to each guest period, and then the option to adjust or remove was there. I'm thinking he/she didn't know that they could be adjusted.

Ok, i am new to the threads, but found it necessary to post. We (DH, sister and BIL) just got off the ship last thursday. looking at this post, you would think it was a different ship than the one we sailed on. Yes, i must say it is NOT BIG AND NEW, we sailed the Conquest in dec 2004 from New Orleans and did not expect the Fantasy to compare.

Also, we sailed the Fantasy on Jan 7,2008 with our two DD (18 and 23yrs) and had a great time.

This time i found the service much better. Our steward, waitress, etc were fabulous. And, for the record, the dining room has been redone.

I have been monitoring the threads here for about a month or so and had placed a call to carnival concerning the smells. They reassured me they had been fixed. I can say that i never once smelled any bad smells, my sister did smell something in the forward elevator by the universe lounge though on the last day.

I am hoping to do the Dream next December and NO, i will not expect it to be as smalll and old as the Fantasy! Go Figure!

The Fantasy needs to be appreciated for what it is ....one of the beginning ships...and i believe the upgrades EOF were nice.

And, like I said Maybe I was on a different Fantasy ship ......But the Carnival Fantasy I sailed on November 29th was great.....but then again ......I AM NOT ROYALITY!!

And for the PRICE....it can't be beat.

I assumed the OP meant that the tips were automatically charged to each guest period, and then the option to adjust or remove was there. I'm thinking he/she didn't know that they could be adjusted.

I believe that is what the op meant.

Op too bad you did not do more research before you sailed the Fantasy.

She has been getting some bad hits lately. I personally will not ever sail on her........

Good luck on your next cruise:)

I haven't read all the responses here (LOL..I'm afraid to!!)

I just want to say to the OP:

I sailed the Fantasy in November and I was quite disappointed as well. Had it been my first CCL cruise, I have to say that I most likely would hesitate before ever sailing CCL again.

That being said, I hope one day you do give CCL another shot because the Fantasy is NOT what CCL is usually like. It is so far removed from the rest of the Carnival ships (even the older ones like the Holiday) that I can't believe they haven't had enough bad reviews sent to them that have prompted them to fix the issues...mainly the odor. But even the food on that ship was not up to usual CCL standards.

I had a good time when I sailed, because of the people I was with. I also thought that the crew was pretty excellent....but the overall experience on that ship was not what I am used to getting on a Carnival ship. I wrote to them and told them that although I love the line, I could not in good conscience, recommend the Fantasy to anyone and I would steer folks away from booking it if given the chance.

I urge you to also write to Carnival and give them an account of your cruise without being nasty. Constructive criticism is needed. They need to fix things on that ship. NO ONE should have to spend days on that ship smelling that odor. Make sure you mention that you are a Cruise Critic member and that you posted your thoughts here. (they just LOVE that :rolleyes:) They need to know from as many people as possible that this is just not acceptable.

You guys all really bring up some valid points that I guess I really had not thought about before.

We are not royalty, we just like the "extras". This trip was pricey as we were in a cat 12 suite, but not as pricey as some others we have taken.

I should not judge Carnival from this one experience as my sailing with them in the past was fun. I may one day try again, but DH never will. I'm just glad this wasn't his first cruise or we would never be cruising again.

I guess it's true what they say, "You get what you pay for" and in the case of the Fantasy "The ship smelling like crap is free!"

I suggest going on the Destiny class ships and higher. The ships are bigger and better.

I had a suite on the Conquest and the only problem we had we we got to port 20 minutes to early....We had to wait 20 minutes until the ship was ready. We butted in line for security, got in and out of the VIP check-in at record speed despite them trying to check in 30 or 40 people in a wedding party. The wedding party got to board before everyone else. They said it was because they were having their reception and doing photos on the ship.

The Fantasy was lauched in 1990, so she is a 18 year old ship. I am sure they are trying their best to maintain the ship as best they can. After 18 years at sea with minimal dry docks, I am sure the ship could use more work to get it back up to speed. Why do yuo think they got rid of Jubilee, Celebration, Mardi Gras, Carnivale, and soon the Holiday? They are old ships!

It seems like with this many complaints about the VIP boarding process that someone would be trying to fix the mass confusion. To whom would one voice a concern to about the problem? Carnival or The New Orleans Port?

I am a first timer sailing in June, and that is one of the things that got us excited about booking our Suite. We were told that we would have VIP status for boarding!

Now I'm worried that we will be disappointed if no one knows what's going on during boarding. First impressions really matter. I hope it's fixed before we sail. Now, not only do I have to worry about that stinky smell, I have to worry about confusion with boarding. UGGHHHHHH!

Having cruised on Fantasy 3 times out of Nola & just returned from Freedon out of Fort Lauderdale.........Nola is 10x better than Port Everglades with VIP check in & debarkation.

I have never had to wait but a matter of a few minutes in Nola but it was treated a lot worse & took over an hour to board last week.

Sure, Fantasy is older & smaller. If the OP is such an experienced cruiser, you would think they would have done some research before booking one of the oldest & smallest ships in Carnival's fleet.

Sounds like they went with their expectations way too high & expected to be treated like royalty just because they booked a suite. We all know most Carnival cabins are larger than other cruiselines....including RCCL.

I haven't read all the responses here (LOL..I'm afraid to!!)

I just want to say to the OP:

I sailed the Fantasy in November and I was quite disappointed as well. Had it been my first CCL cruise, I have to say that I most likely would hesitate before ever sailing CCL again.

That being said, I hope one day you do give CCL another shot because the Fantasy is NOT what CCL is usually like. It is so far removed from the rest of the Carnival ships (even the older ones like the Holiday) that I can't believe they haven't had enough bad reviews sent to them that have prompted them to fix the issues...mainly the odor. But even the food on that ship was not up to usual CCL standards.

I had a good time when I sailed, because of the people I was with. I also thought that the crew was pretty excellent....but the overall experience on that ship was not what I am used to getting on a Carnival ship. I wrote to them and told them that although I love the line, I could not in good conscience, recommend the Fantasy to anyone and I would steer folks away from booking it if given the chance.

I urge you to also write to Carnival and give them an account of your cruise without being nasty. Constructive criticism is needed. They need to fix things on that ship. NO ONE should have to spend days on that ship smelling that odor. Make sure you mention that you are a Cruise Critic member and that you posted your thoughts here. (they just LOVE that :rolleyes:) They need to know from as many people as possible that this is just not acceptable.

oh, my, a thought suddenly occurred to me...poor Mobile! When the Holiday is moved and Fantasy takes it's place, we will STILL hear the same ole same old about old ships and smells! The Triumph comes to N.O. next November...is she gonna be any better than the Fantasy?

Sounds like they went with their expectations way too high & expected to be treated like royalty just because they booked a suite. .

I think you're right.

Some of the other lines treat their suite passengers better. Carnival is more...democratic about it's passengers. ;) Inside cabin passengers are treated the same as suite folks.

Also, the suites on the older ships are nowhere near the same as on the new ships...heck the Fantasy doesn't even have balcony cabins (unless you get a suite).

I have to say that I don't think I'd sail her again....why sail an old ship when there are nicer new ones out there??

I can see if you live in NOLA or close enough to drive to the port.....that would make a difference. But to fly there and get on this junker???

No way.

You guys all really bring up some valid points that I guess I really had not thought about before.

We are not royalty, we just like the "extras". This trip was pricey as we were in a cat 12 suite, but not as pricey as some others we have taken.

I should not judge Carnival from this one experience as my sailing with them in the past was fun. I may one day try again, but DH never will. I'm just glad this wasn't his first cruise or we would never be cruising again.

I guess it's true what they say, "You get what you pay for" and in the case of the Fantasy "The ship smelling like crap is free!"

Hey OP

Its your dollar and you can spend it anyway you choose... So you didnt do research.. blah blah blah.. not everyone does.. does not mean you should not be surprised to board a clinker..;)

Take it from me, a huge Celebrity Fan.. this does not represent the newer Carnival ships/crew...

As far as VIP.. I dont even know why Carnival calls it that.. they offer 'nothing'.. the check in leaves alot to be desired and that is basically the only perk.. oh free laundry.. :rolleyes:

For Platinum cruisers-10 cruises or suites- they do need to step it up.. People are spending alot of money on and during their cruise!

Hope you have a better cruise next time!

I really love Carnival, I think it gives me the best bang for my buck, that said, I would not go with a suit on Carnival, if I'm paying for a suite I want PERKS!!!

I know that Celebrity has a really nice bunch of perks for their suite people, snacks in the room delivered daily, free cappacino or expresso, your butler unpacks for you, they do all kinds of things, I know that in Concierge room you get white linen and silver service on your balcony for breakfast and a special menu, the suits butlers go get them waffles and breakfast for them, and I believe you can have the dining room meals delivered on your deck too by the butler,the butlers only have a few rooms as opposed to the stewards who have a hall of them.

And no I'm not a Celebrity cheerleader, however I do know a little about them because I've sailed with them. We can live without all the perks and pay a more reasonable price, I can unpack my own stuff and if I choose CCL I can cruise twice a year. Some of us don't have unlimited income and can't afford to cruise more than once or twice a year, for us I'd rather go more often and have the less luxe life. They still clean my room twice a day and make me towel animals :D

I just got off the Fantasy in a Cat 12. I have also sailed NCL in a suite. Priority check in on NCL we got goodies and wine,but my friends who were not VIP still were on the ship before me. We normally get suite so DH can eat,sleep and drink wine on the balcony.Also we usually have the last night party in our room. Don't need the butler or any of those other things. Don't have it home and I might get spoiled. Priority check in on Fantasy-we still got on after our friends who were in Cat 6 and 4. No offense intended-but I like not being suite royalty and treated the same as everyone else. But then that't just me

Hi I am sorry your cruise was not up to snuff.:( I was on the Triumph in 2003 and 2006 and they were way different cruises. The one in 2003 was awesome, the one in 2006 was not good. The ship was just out of dry dock and we had a big hole in the floor of our room. The carpet did cover the hole so you did not see it until you stepped in it. I would say it was about 5 inches deep and about 8 inches around. It happened to be between the bed and the table/life-vest storage. So when you got out of bed you had to watch where you walked. I told our cabin steward about it and she said yeah I know. That was it.

I called room service one night well that was a big waist of time. I called and the phone rang for about 8 to 10 minutes ( and no I did not hang up I wanted to see how long they would let it ring). When someone answered the phone they just hung up. So I called back the phone rang about 4 rings they picked-up and hung up. Well, I called the pursers desk and they said that they were busy.:eek:

The next night mother nature called and I did not come prepared.:o So I went to the gift shop and they were closed so I went to the pursers desk and asked if they had and famine products and she said yes so I asked could I get 5 of them and she said well they are .25 cents a piece so I gave her my S&S card and she looked at me like I was the dumbest person on earth and said you have to pay in cash!!!:eek: Then she said it had to be exact change, and they would not make change.:mad: Well, I did not think of that since you can't use cash except for BINGO. So now I had to I had to go back to the room and find exact change and then go back to the desk.

Our wait staff was nice but not as good as in the past also. They would not refill our drinks unless we asked. I had a meal I did not like so I asked for a different meal and our waiter could not understand why. After about 5 minutes explaining that it was cooked fine it was just not my taste. He finally gave-in and got me a different meal.:confused:

We had to ask for more bread every night also. I never had this happen before. I think it is that the tips are automatic.

In the past I always tipped double the amount not as much anymore. The nicest person on the ship was the girl who worked at the coffee bar. We went by everyday to see her. The last day of the cruise we went buy and each gave her a $25.00 tip. Well, she cried. She said know one ever tipped her she was so grateful.

I did send a letter with the good the bad and the ugly. After that cruise I was not sure if I would cruise Carnival again but with time I thought I need to give them another chance. At the time it was my 5th Carnival cruise. I had never cruised with any other Cruise Line. I am booked on the Freedom for January 3rd cruise . It will be my 40th birthday trip. I hope this one will be a better cruise.

Thanks for sharing your experience op. Sailing on the Fascination a few months ago we also learned that there is reality to "getting what you pay for". We had a good time on our cruise as a cruise is what you make of it and we will likely sail Carnival again sometime in the future as we have in the past, but there's not likely to be a Fantasy class ship in our future.

Fortunately many people are very happy with their sailings on the older Fantasy class ships and I think that's great if they are but I also think for those that have not sailed on one they need to undertand beforehand there can be negatives depending upon what one is looking for on their cruise.

Hope you enjoy all your future cruises no matter which line you choose to sail on.:)

For me if the ship does'nt sink it's a good cruise.:D I don't care if I get on the ship first as long as I get on. If there is a smell in a certain area don't go there.:rolleyes: If the food is not up to your expectations you have 2 choices eat it anyway or starve. Nothing and no one is perfect. Life is too short to worry about all that. Be greatful you have the means to be able to take vacations.

IMO you might try Carnival's Splendor or Dream, or just make the move to Holland America or Celebrity. Ken

Don't encourage them to stay, let them go back to their snobish cruise line. They can get VIP perks to make them feel important and better then everyone else. I wonder if the wait staff was less than attentive because of the attitude? I say don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Having cruised on Fantasy 3 times out of Nola & just returned from Freedon out of Fort Lauderdale.........Nola is 10x better than Port Everglades with VIP check in & debarkation.

This is no lie. I don't know what happened to FLL. VIP embarkation had been better in the past, but was a joke this time.

NOLa wins the VIP embarkation, no contest.

Wow...

When I was preparing for our very first cruise, I came to this site and asked a bunch of questions like...

Q: When is the best time to try and board without running into long line?

A: Arrive around 10:30as for a 4:00pm departure.

Well we took this advice and ran into very small lines.

Q: Does anyone have any pictures of our exact room?

A: Do a search and you will find all kinds of pictures of your room.

Well I took that advice and was able to see our room and what to EXPECT when we walked into it.

I am only a noobie around here but I have read all the news on how Carnival treats "VIP" or lack there of so it would come to no surprise about the way you were treated. At the same time, I would have been prepared for that. I would have known that the t.v. was very small and it would not have been a surprise. IMO, had the OP done some research prior to pulling up to the dock then this thread would not exsist.

P.S. A review isn't a review without pics!:D

To the OP...I can say I feel your pain. :o But with that said please consider giving CCL another chance just on one of the bigger newer ships. Our first CCL Cruise back in '95 I too swore NEVER AGAIN but next month we're taking #10 on CCL. :) We have sailed a few times and on different lines and we have a different exp. each time. Some very good and some not so nice. :rolleyes: Research your ship before booking, look at the prices and your expectations. Read the reviews and think about what they say good and bad. Now we enjoy CCL as for the price it's a good vacation but I can say I have yet to really read a number of good things about the port of NOLA. :( Sorry folks but that's true, I know a lot of people love NOLA but I think it maybe because it's a close homeport not because it's a great exp. to sail out of. We know people who just LOVE the Fantasy but I'm not sure if we'd sail on her as just about every review complains about the smell. I also think that when you sail out of different home ports you see a different variety of people. Most of our last few Cruises on CCL have been out of Galveston but we went on the Holiday out of Mobile back in September. It was a completely different personality of people sailing. We knew going she was the littlest ship in the fleet and had her flaws but the crew was one of if not the best we have ever sailed with! Over all I'd say if you sail for your VIP perks than maybe CCL isn't for you but if you Cruise to have fun, get a little R & R and just to get away give it another try just pick your Ship a bit more carefully. Good Luck and happy Cruising!

I love cruising as much as the rest of you but let me say this. I love fantasy but then my expectations don't go real high. I just want a good time away from home.

The OP was venting and maybe her expectations were wrong etc but...do some of you have to be snarly? Everyone looks soooo forward to their cruise that when things don't go right..it can be crushing. Everyone handles it differently. Maybe she has had a particularly bad bad few months prior to cruising??? We can explain the whys and wherefores without biting a persons head off for venting. Hmm maybe there can be a stickied thread for just venting..where if venting offends you, you don't accidently read it and the posters can get the disappointment off their chests and get it over with. Not everyone has ppl that will listen to a vent. By being ugly, it makes carnival customers look rude too ontop of a bad experience...that doesn't help and only makes the rude poster look even worse..not funny or cute.

Archived