Which Seattle hotel would you choose?

calmac

We are a family of 3 - DH, me and DS (13). We will be flying into Seattle from the UK at the end of July, spending one night in Seattle, flying to Anchorage (for independent land tour) then flying back to Seattle for one night prior to our cruise and then we'll have another night after our cruise before flying home again. Our flight from the UK is scheduled to arrive at 1pm and our flight home is scheduled to leave at 12 noon. We've still to book our flights to/from Anchorage.

We have visited Seattle before so our priorites for sightseeing this time will be Pike Market and the Underground Tour and we will want to eat at one of the breweries.

We are able to use company rates at the following 3 hotels. Which would you choose to stay at, and why?

- Hotel Monaco

- Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union (same price as Monaco but includes breakfast)

- Hotel Vintage Park ($25 more, inc. tax)

Would we be better staying at the airport for our first night? We can stay in that area for about the same rate as the company rate at the hotels I listed.

Thanks for your help.

With your priorities I'd pick the Monaco. The Residence Inn is not downtown, but at South Lake Union a mile north of downtown. You can ride the tram to the central part of the city, but at the Monaco you're only a couple of blocks from the Pike Market. The Monaco is a more up-market place, too, and the lack of breakfast at the RI is no loss as their breakfasts are pretty mediocre. Go to the market and have a much better brekkie at low cost and in much more pleasant surroundings.

The Vintage Park is much more oriented to business travelers and is not as conveniently located (a couple of very hilly blocks from the Monaco.)

Don't stay at the airport unless you absolutely have to. A taxi downtown for the 3 of you will be about US$30 each way.

We are a family of 3 - DH, me and DS (13). We will be flying into Seattle from the UK at the end of July, spending one night in Seattle, flying to Anchorage (for independent land tour) then flying back to Seattle for one night prior to our cruise and then we'll have another night after our cruise before flying home again. Our flight from the UK is scheduled to arrive at 1pm and our flight home is scheduled to leave at 12 noon. We've still to book our flights to/from Anchorage.

We have visited Seattle before so our priorites for sightseeing this time will be Pike Market and the Underground Tour and we will want to eat at one of the breweries.

We are able to use company rates at the following 3 hotels. Which would you choose to stay at, and why?

- Hotel Monaco

- Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union (same price as Monaco but includes breakfast)

- Hotel Vintage Park ($25 more, inc. tax)

Would we be better staying at the airport for our first night? We can stay in that area for about the same rate as the company rate at the hotels I listed.

Thanks for your help.

I would vote for the Hotel Monaco - great location

For the one night in Seattle prior to flying to Anchorage I would stay at the airport to avoid having to travel into downtown Seattle. You can find a hotel and relax after your long flight from the UK.

Thank you, Gardyloo and love2cruiseseattle. To me, the Hotel Monaco seemed the best choice but it's nice to hear from locals who really know.

I thought of staying at the Marriott at the airport. It's not the cheapest hotel but it looks nice (on its own website!!) and I like the idea of being able to go for a swim after our flight. Is there anything close by the hotel? Would it be possible to go to the Museum of Flight (think that's the right name) from the hotel (or airport) without our own transport?

Thanks again.

Would it be possible to go to the Museum of Flight (think that's the right name) from the hotel (or airport) without our own transport?

Thanks again.

It's accessible by bus or of course by taxi from either. The bus line from the airport to downtown (Route 174) stops in front of the MoF. http://www.museumofflight.org/

I'd also choose the Monaco, as I like the chain ... fun, funky, but also fairly upscale. And, you can request to have a goldfish in your room! :D

I once had a goldfish but it only survived a day or so - think I better pass on that "option". :eek:

Good to hear another recommendation for the Monaco. The rate is through DH's work so I'll have to get him to make the bookings when he returns at the weekend from his business trip.

Thank you, Gardyloo and love2cruiseseattle. To me, the Hotel Monaco seemed the best choice but it's nice to hear from locals who really know.

I thought of staying at the Marriott at the airport. It's not the cheapest hotel but it looks nice (on its own website!!) and I like the idea of being able to go for a swim after our flight. Is there anything close by the hotel? Would it be possible to go to the Museum of Flight (think that's the right name) from the hotel (or airport) without our own transport?

Thanks again.

I don't know about the museum, but we always stay at the Doubletree by the airport. In fact, I am at the Doubletree right now! We are heading to New Orleans and it is cheaper to fly out of Seattle.

There is another one over by Southcentre Mall that has an airport shuttle, but the one at the airport has a pool, laundry, good workout areas, and you can get a discount if you have Hilton Honors. (easy to apply for beforehand)

Viv

I don't know about the museum, but we always stay at the Doubletree by the airport. In fact, I am at the Doubletree right now! We are heading to New Orleans and it is cheaper to fly out of Seattle.

There is another one over by Southcentre Mall that has an airport shuttle, but the one at the airport has a pool, laundry, good workout areas, and you can get a discount if you have Hilton Honors. (easy to apply for beforehand)

Viv

Thanks for the suggestion.

Seeing as Pike Place is on your list of priorities, you simply must visit the Tea and Crumpet Shop in there and have some tea and crumpets. If not for yourselves, for me (I'm an ex-pat from Leeds who moved to the States 6 years ago). They make their own crumpets which are almost as good as Warbutons. We visited Seattle in June this year and ate there before and after our cruise. I couldn't get enough of Pike Place Market, it's an amazing place and I love that it's multi level. There are some quilting shops downstairs that I could have blown my bank balance on. Easily.

Archived