Can you believe some of those reviews? Wow

gtidan

I thought this whole thread was about Marias review on the Splendor:confused: She pretty much didn't like anything about her cruise..........

The very first line in the op's post:

After reading some of the cruise reviews posted here do any of you, like me, just look up at the heavens in disbelief?

SOME of the cruise reviews... then he continues with an EXAMPLE...

So what posting rule did I not follow by commenting on his first line? :confused:

Thanks to those who are posting more about what it's like on the Splendor. I almost didn't book the cruise because there were SO many negative reviews - then I thought, "wait a minute, let me go to the boards and see what folks are saying over there" and sure 'nof - you all drove home the point that a cruise is what you make of it (something my cruise buddy and and I view as a mantra of sorts!).

I do have to say that I'm surprised at the number of people who don't do research before going on a cruise. First full day in to the last cruise we went on, we sat with a couple that was complaining left and right. It was the first full day!! She was complaining about the lines and things to do and the food and blah, blah, blah. I said, tell me what you are looking for? And after hearing a bit more I was able to direct them to some things they would enjoy on the cruise (such as the seafood buffets they didn't know about, how to make reservations to the specialty restaurants, and since they didn't like anytime dining, how to make a standing reservation each day) - a few days later we saw them and they were having a great time. I doubt it was all my tips that made the trip, but it was clear they didn't do research that could have helped make the time a bit less bumpy.

My two cents...

as a side note.. Asking questions of a particular review isn't possible on the "member review" section and the truth of the matter is that there were numerous people on board who all have an opinion and hearing more pieces about their time helps us who weren't there to fill in the gaps. I don't think the OP was trying to bash the person - they were putting out their opinion and asking questions of the context/lens the person was coming from - nothing wrong with that. go right ahead. the person has every right to answer back. having a dialogue about opinions isn't wrong - as long as folks aren't resorting to hateful speech and knocking folks down, how else are we to learn more information and hear what more people think? Two monologues are just not as interesting and revealing as multiple dialogues.

You are right it is all in the attitude. The things I see people expect from a cruise are sometimes so unreasonable that it can be quite entertaining.

lol I agree!! They expect Broadway shows, 5 star meals, etc etc...on a $300-$500 budget..NOT GONNA HAPPEN!! I expect fun, and fun I have. Last cruise I had the best time ever and I only went to one show...it is what you make it...

IMO, each and every opinion is equally valid. I have no more of a problem with a review that's over-the-top negative than I do with one that's over-the-top positive. I mean, when even a tuna sandwich from room service gets gushing praise, it seems to me that something is out of whack (I've never had the room-service tuna and it's probably quite good, but no cold sandwich deserves some of the rapturous reviews I've seen, IMO).

It's up to each of us to determine which parts of each review are worthwhile or applicable to our own standards and our own choices... Personally, I'd rather be cautious in advance and be pleasantly surprised when I have a nice cruise than be expecting the moon based on glowing reviews and be disappointed when the real thing doesn't live up...

We cruise on average twice a year. We have used four cruise lines total.

We have never had a bad cruise. We have had better cruises, but never a bad cruise.

Our last one...got back last month...lasted for 5 weeks! Yes...five weeks!! The only thing that went wrong was one A/C of four units onboard went down...and when you are cruising along the Equator up the Amazon that can be nasty!!! Even with all four working I suspect things would have been a little warmer than we might like...but with one down it was warm! In five weeks that is the only hicough on the whole ship. We...and several hundred other passengers complained to the cruise line and we were compensated adequately for our discomfort.

I am sure you can all imagine all the the things we could have complained about after five weeks...we could nit-pick the cruise to death....instead let me say it was the best cruise we have had until the next one we take in April!

Every cruise you take is what YOU make of it...not the cruise line...you! We have never run into crew that was not busting their tails to make our experience the best it could be....some were friendlier than others...then some became friends long after we left the ship! They still email us from time to time just to say Hi!

For those who will never sail Carnival, Princess, NCL, Holland America etc. again, allow me to do you the favour of some sound advice....if you didn't like a cruise enough to ever go with that line again then give up cruising all together because your last one won't be any better than your next one.

Just some thoughts.

IMO, each and every opinion is equally valid. I have no more of a problem with a review that's over-the-top negative than I do with one that's over-the-top positive. I mean, when even a tuna sandwich from room service gets gushing praise, it seems to me that something is out of whack (I've never had the room-service tuna and it's probably quite good, but no cold sandwich deserves some of the rapturous reviews I've seen, IMO).

It's up to each of us to determine which parts of each review are worthwhile or applicable to our own standards and our own choices... Personally, I'd rather be cautious in advance and be pleasantly surprised when I have a nice cruise than be expecting the moon based on glowing reviews and be disappointed when the real thing doesn't live up...

well said! I question the over-the-top positive reviews as well, not just the super duper negative ones. There are very few things in life that are super fantastically great or super horribly bad.

I tend to read all the reviews, good and bad, but take both extremes with a big grain of salt. I find it helpful to find out about things that could be negative on my upcoming cruises so I'm prepared to deal with them. And I find it helpful to find out things that could make my cruise even better.

We cruise on average twice a year. We have used four cruise lines total.

We have never had a bad cruise. We have had better cruises, but never a bad cruise.

Our last one...got back last month...lasted for 5 weeks! Yes...five weeks!! The only thing that went wrong was one A/C of four units onboard went down...and when you are cruising along the Equator up the Amazon that can be nasty!!! Even with all four working I suspect things would have been a little warmer than we might like...but with one down it was warm! In five weeks that is the only hicough on the whole ship. We...and several hundred other passengers complained to the cruise line and we were compensated adequately for our discomfort.

I am sure you can all imagine all the the things we could have complained about after five weeks...we could nit-pick the cruise to death....instead let me say it was the best cruise we have had until the next one we take in April!

Every cruise you take is what YOU make of it...not the cruise line...you! We have never run into crew that was not busting their tails to make our experience the best it could be....some were friendlier than others...then some became friends long after we left the ship! They still email us from time to time just to say Hi!

For those who will never sail Carnival, Princess, NCL, Holland America etc. again, allow me to do you the favour of some sound advice....if you didn't like a cruise enough to ever go with that line again then give up cruising all together because your last one won't be any better than your next one.

Just some thoughts.

No. Not true. We cruised on a particular line several years ago-okay it was RCI and we had so many bad experiences on that cruise that we swore off cruising altogether. As it turned out, DH and DS wanted to go to Alaska last year, and me being the trip planer figured the easiest and most feasible way to do that was on a cruise. I did not want to cruise OR go to Alaska but it was their turn to choose the trip.

Well, we ended up on NCL, and I have to say the whole experience totally turned us around on cruising. We had the time of our lives! It was a very positive experience. It was so wonderful that we have since been on two more cruises (both Carnival) and have no plans to stop cruising...ever :) Would we ever cruise RCI again? I can't answer that as we've found two other cruise lines we like a lot, but you never know....

Thanks, you saved me some typing time. I totally agree.

Is is really necessary to attack someone's review? they took the time to compose it, you have the option to read or ignore it. Unless they personally attack you, why get so wound-up about it?

This once again smacks of Carnival cheerleading. Carnival, the company that can do no wrong.

The person giving the review is entitled to his or her opinion, but isn't the person bashing the review entitled to the same thing?

The person giving the review is entitled to his or her opinion, but isn't the person bashing the review entitled to the same thing?

The person bashing the review is certainly entitled to his or her opinion of the CRUISE (if he or she was on it). I fail to see why his or her opinion of the other person's review is worthwhile, though... I mean, we can all talk about anything we want, but it isn't all of value...

I hated the new carpets on the Destiny.....I complained to the purser... but he would do nothing about it.....

I asked him to inform the captain of this.... but the captain was sleeping.... and the purser would not wake him...

So I will NOT sail Carnival again!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I like the towel animal complaint - maybe they shouldn't be allowed to work until they get that art down to a t??

Too funny:D

I love the towel animals, even if they are sloppy! I've tried to recreate them and even with onboard lessons mine still look like a towel!

We cruise to get away from winter. Never had a bad steward, waitstaff person, or a bad day. It's all in your frame of mind. Maybe people that complain, complain because of the people they cruise with! We always travel with great friends - now that makes a cruise ROCK! Just my opinion, Kaboochi

[/b][/color]

No. Not true. We cruised on a particular line several years ago-okay it was RCI and we had so many bad experiences on that cruise that we swore off cruising altogether. As it turned out, DH and DS wanted to go to Alaska last year, and me being the trip planer figured the easiest and most feasible way to do that was on a cruise. I did not want to cruise OR go to Alaska but it was their turn to choose the trip.

Well, we ended up on NCL, and I have to say the whole experience totally turned us around on cruising. We had the time of our lives! It was a very positive experience. It was so wonderful that we have since been on two more cruises (both Carnival) and have no plans to stop cruising...ever :) Would we ever cruise RCI again? I can't answer that as we've found two other cruise lines we like a lot, but you never know....

Our first cruise (since I was a child) was on a Carnival ship. It was in 1995 and it really WAS horrible. We didn't complain, we just didn't cruise again for 10 years. I thought the whole industry had gone in the dumper and let it go. 2005 I booked a HAL cruise because we had no Spring break plans and I wasn't going to sit home. I had to drag my husband and kids (their first but had picked up on HIS attitude). We had such a great time and such a great experience that we now cruise every year for 7-15 days and everybody is excited and involved! There are some ships and experiences that cannot be written off. Nothing is totally bad, but some do have bad experiences which color the whole experience. We just wound up on an old ship in nasty shape with terrible food and really bad dinner companions. Hasn't happened since, Thank Goodness!!!!:D

lol I agree!! They expect Broadway shows, 5 star meals, etc etc...on a $300-$500 budget..NOT GONNA HAPPEN!! I expect fun, and fun I have. Last cruise I had the best time ever and I only went to one show...it is what you make it...

$300-$500:confused: I guess younever book balcony cabins......

Maybe that is the problem......

Well, know what I think?

I think it's incredibly rude to start a thread on a board about a review that someone else posted elsewhere.

It's their opinion. So you don't agree. So you think they didn't do their homework. Did you tell the OP that? Or did you just think it would be fun to talk about them behind their back?

Don't agree with the review? Just close it and "get over it," as so many people here like to advise everyone else.

Different things bother or don't bother different people. Just because YOU don't notice something doesn't mean no one else should, or it they do, they should just keep it to themselves.

I do often wonder what sort of expectations some people have before they cruise. Maybe they don't spend 24/7 on Cruise Critic and haven't consulted all the self-proclaimed experts about what is an acceptable annoyance and what isn't!

Threads like this are worse than the off-the-wall reviews. Stop being such a Cruise Critic snob.

Remember there is a saying that goes like this: If you lay something on the table don't be surprised when someone picks it up.

She wrote the review and it's her opinion. I answered her review with my opinion. I didn't attack her as a person but rather her opinions. I'm sure she is a nice person but the review is off the mark with reality......sorry. That's how I feel. Your opinion is welcome.......no problem

So, who's the biggest complainer?

The complainer who didn't like their cruise?

The complainer complaining about complainer that didn't like their cruise?

Or the complainer complaining about the complainer that is complaining about the complainer that didnt' like their cruise?

:D

Huh?!?!?

As long as I'm on a ship that doesn't sink, I'm completely happy.

I totally agree! In fact, I find it classless for someone to start a thread that dissects someone's personal opinions on their cruise experience. No where in Marcia's review did she mention that she was expecting the 'Ritz Carlton'. Why the need for the OP to come up with that smarmy remark? The reviewer also did state that it was her third Carnival cruise which I think gives her some credibility. It's not like she was a first time cruiser who didn't know what to expect (which is still not an excuse for bashing someone's review).

From goggle:

You said:

Also, hurricane season ends November 30, not December :rolleyes:

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker from a Goggle search:

The hurricane season starts in June and ends in november... Some times there are rare cases of tropical storms or hurricanes in December..

Your opinion of my post is well taken. When you post on a forum you must expect to see other points of view of whatever you say. Just the way it is and should not be taken personally.

If her review had anything of value I would agree but the whole review sounded like someone who just had no clue as to what to expect or who's responsible for her having a good time. I don't care how many prior cruises she took. Apparently she didn't learn much from those experiences.

Did you actually read her review? You might want to have another look. She bashed every port but St Thomas.......which is a US territory to boot.

Reminds me of a friend who went to Jamaica and stayed a week at one of those fancy hotels. I asked him if he ever left to place to see the island and he said: Why? Everything is right here.

Do you think he really visited Jamaica? He too has no clue of what Jamaica is about than she has of San Juan, the DR, Grand Turk or even St. Thomas other than knowing where to shop. Hey, if that's her program go for it. Just don't write air headed reviews. I hope I'm making a point you can grasp hold of. Nothing personal by the way.

When reading reviews the ones I give little credence to are the; "Everything was terrible" or "The food was great because I didn't have to cook it and cabin service was wonderful because I didn't have to make my bed."

The "Everything was terrible" is from someone who can't be pleased or has an ax to grind and the "The food was great because I didn't have to cook it and the cabin service was wonderful because I didn't have to make my bed" person has a little too much of a "Stepford Cruiser" attitude to be objective.

I read a number of reviews to get an overall idea of a ship. It's nice to read an objective review.

Take care,

Mike

After reading some of the cruise reviews posted here do any of you, like me, just look up at the heavens in disbelief? I just finished reading one from Marcia about her trip on the Splendor. How can anyone be so off the mark. :confused:

1)She complains first about not being able to have some 'line jumping wannabe friends' join them in boarding. I'm mean the rules are rules for a reason.

2) The ship is pink. Hmmmmmm seen one Carnival ship you've seen them all. (translation: been there/done that.....)

3) WE HAVE a suite, nice, but the darn shower door rattled all night (failed to mention that other cruisers spoke of 10/20 foot waves and rough seas at the time) I guess Carnival makes lousy ships. (translation: we know what's good, little people)

4) Room service: Need more practice on making towel animals...whoa, now that's cruise buster for sure. Ice bucket not filled.....probably forget to kiss their feet as well. Oh, did I mention I'm missing things......those international thief's the cruise lines hires can't be trusted.

5) Ahhhhhhhhh, the food, just terrible, I mean it was nothing like the Ritz Carlton.

6) The ports. Those poor beggars in the DR just made us feel so bad cause we've rich and their not. Give it a break, lady. San Juan...a joke, and Nassau...well, it's just Nassau.

All were bad except St. Thomas, where she most likely purchased a new CC bag. How nice

7) We were soooooooooooo disappointed with Carnival and may never come back. Hey, I got a suggestion: DON"T come back. My worse nightmare would be getting stuck at her table for dinner each night and have to listen to her complaining.

Conclusion:

Why do these people even go on a cruise? They seem so jaded about everything and than spill it over on sites like this. What did you learn by reading her post? Absolutely nothing useful.

New rules:

Read about the ports and the time you arrive and leave BEFORE you go. Than if you go............don't bitch about it cause you don't have enough time in port. You might also learn a little bit about the people and lifestyle of their home before you go and have some humility about how they live

You might check the weather for the area before you book. This way you'll know that hurricane season lasts until the end of December and going during this time might result in heavy seas. Just a thought.

Stay away from new ships. It takes time to get fully up to speed.

And lastly, it's YOUR attitude that will determine how much you enjoy your cruise. Learn to roll with the tide and be a little tolerant of others less fortunate than you. And fianally..............don't expect everyone to kiss your you know what like your husband............cause it ain't gonna happen. ;)

OK I'm done and yes, I do feel better. :)

Yeah...that freedom of speech thing can really be a pain sometimes.

Dr. Jack

Archived