Cozumel-Grand Cayman-Montego Bay Itinerary in early January --- cold?

nilsbyy

I've been getting conflicting information on exactly how warm (or, more to the point, how NOT warm) it's going to be. Is it comfortable for swimming and snorkelling? Am I going to want long sleeves in the evening, or will I be comfortable in summer clothes?

Also, this is probably a silly question, but when you go from your cabin to the restaurant or fitness center or wherever, do you go outside or is it all indoor hallways?

I've been getting conflicting information on exactly how warm (or, more to the point, how NOT warm) it's going to be. Is it comfortable for swimming and snorkelling? Am I going to want long sleeves in the evening, or will I be comfortable in summer clothes?

Also, this is probably a silly question, but when you go from your cabin to the restaurant or fitness center or wherever, do you go outside or is it all indoor hallways?

Hi nilsbyy....where are you getting your conflicting information? I will be going to the same ports (Liberty of the Seas - January 24). I wonder how warm it's going to be myself. In January, I went to Aruba..it was HOT. Probably because it's further south almost below the equator. It hope it will be nice and warm in the western islands so I can experience warm weather away from the cold Northeast.:eek:

The Caribbean as a whole has very little fluctuation in temperature. Now I'm sure a meterologist will flame me but............ It will be highs in the mid to lower 80's and the water temp about the same. You will be able to swim and snorkle and frolic. The evenings on the ship could get a little chilly, so yes I would bring pants and long sleeve shirt to be safe.

Hi nilsbyy....where are you getting your conflicting information?

I've checked some travel websites that say that January is the best time of year to visit. But someone I know went on a similar intinerary last January and said that all of their ports got cancelled and that it was too cold to use the pool on the ship. There were also some comments on message boards about it being a little cool for swimming. I know how some people LOVE to complain, so I'm not convinced yet that we're going to freeze!

It could be that the port of departure, being in the U.S., may be cool or even cold in January, so the pool may not be an option the first day or last day. Overall, the weather nearer the destinations is almost always in the low 80's and the water feels about the same (comfortable).

Also, for NILSBYY, there are routes to the facilities that you mention that keep you indoors.

We've been to those ports early Dec and early Feb(the coldest time of year). Always hot!, pools same temp as sea 80-84. We have always been very hot just like we like it:) You will be able to walk in-doors. The nights on the ship(indoor) I always need a light cardigan if I am wearing a dress or sleeve less top. Not during the day, it is very comfortable on the ship.

We did a similar route last January (Coz, Roatan, Progreso) and the weather in the ports was wonderful!!! The weather in Galveston was cold (40s - 50s...cold to us) during departure and arrival, but otherwise, the weather was great!

We stopped in Ocho Rios on the Navigator this past January and I distinctly remember getting off the ship around 9am and standing in the sun waiting for our tour guide thinking "thank god I'm wearing shorts and a tshirt, it's HOT."

As far as the gym... I workout 4 days a week at home but couldn't tell you what the inside of the fitness center looks like on an RCCL ship. :)

We have been to all those destinations in January and enjoyed swimming and sunbathing. Photos in the link below. On board the ship it can be cool on sea days if the ship is going really fast; I guess I should say it can be very breezy up on deck. I always pack lightweight sweat pants and jacket for sitting out on the balcony late at night. Also sometimes the air conditioning is chilly so a lightweight sweater or shawl is good to have with you.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Kathy:)

Not sure what port you are leaving from, but if it is Galveston it can be cold/cool for the first day out and the last day coming in. I have been in shorts on a cruise and in a fleece jacket on another.We have always cruised mid January to early Febuary because of our buisness. Retired now so we get to do Alaska in May.... yeah. Once you are down towards Cozumel temperatures should be warm, not hot. Grand Cayman and Montego Bay you should be in the 80's with water temps perfect. We swam with the dolphins last year in Cozumel on our Jan 20th cruise. The first jump in the water was brisk, but once in the water I was fine. Check out the temperatures at weatherchannel.com for the normals temps in the areas that your are interested in.

Jan 27th this year was very cold leaving Galveston (and a 12 hour fog delay) .Could lay out on the ship,but the pool was never warm enough to swim in...

Coz was hot,but water was cold...Roatan was puuuurfect..and well our other stop was stinky Progresso....

I wont cruise from Galveston at that time again....well,never say never :o

brn2crz,

We were on a B2B on the Voyager on your cruise. We were on the ship when everyone had to wait to board because of the fog. It really was horrible getting into port that day. We swam with the Dolphins on our 1/20/08 cruise, so I can't say what the water temps were on the 1/27/08 cruise. We have sailed out of Galveston several times and it is a toss up for weather temperatures. I have been in shorts at Christmas and had 7F weather too. We owned a pet boarding kennel, so I remember working outside in all of it.

We are near you in Bacliff working Hurricane Ike losses ( hubby is an insurance adjuster). Would love to meet a fellow CC member if you have time.

Tomko, thank you for the link to your photos. It looks like I'm going to have a great time.

I feel much more reassured now about the weather. I just hope it warms up here some before time to leave --- we just had what I've been told is only the second or third snow anybody can remember here in Houston!

keep in mind warm waters to a person living way north ( used to cold temps much of the winter) and warm waters to a person living south ( mild winters) might be two different things...........

we are going on vos jan 25 and are just hoping for an indian summer the week we go! lol

:p Sorry just had to put in that statement in the subject line but only because my last two cruises were in January and to the Western Caribbean. And my next two cruises to the Caribbean will be in January and February of 2009.

The Western Caribbean has tropical weather in January so you will be very comfortable on the beach.

It will get chilly "on the ship" at night but just think why. You will be walking around an open deck, at night, on the sea while the ship is traveling at a good speed. Naturally that will make your surroundings feel cold or very chilly at the least. :p

Then with all the people crowded into the dining rooms or the buffet area the ship will have to turn on the air conditioners so everyone will feel comfortable. If you wear a light jacket or long sleeve shirt at night you should have no problems getting comfortable. And, once in your cabin you can always turn off the a/c if it is too cold for you.

My first cruise ever, was September 2005, during Hurricane Rita. We spent two extra days at sea and ever since then I always plan my cruises during January or February. I would not cruise any other time of the year. But of course this is only my opinion.

Happy cruising.

brn2crz,

We were on a B2B on the Voyager on your cruise. We were on the ship when everyone had to wait to board because of the fog. It really was horrible getting into port that day. We swam with the Dolphins on our 1/20/08 cruise, so I can't say what the water temps were on the 1/27/08 cruise. We have sailed out of Galveston several times and it is a toss up for weather temperatures. I have been in shorts at Christmas and had 7F weather too. We owned a pet boarding kennel, so I remember working outside in all of it.

We are near you in Bacliff working Hurricane Ike losses ( hubby is an insurance adjuster). Would love to meet a fellow CC member if you have time.

We were getting off of Voyager when you were getting on.....Jan 20. We are in League City. If you are looking for fellow CCers in the area, e-mail us at enstedda@aol.com and maybe we can meet for dinner one night!

Hey Driftwood Girl,and j&g...I actually just moved from Dickinson to Kingwood,guess I should change that huh..

Where in League City do you live,we lived in Victory Lakes for awhile..

Driftwood Gal,my Stepson,lived in San Leon...about 100 yards off the Bay...They lost everything...They managed to get about 2 big tvs out a a few little things..But they started too late...They went back for a second load at 5:00 Friday afternoon,but could not get to the house by then.Neighbors said their (sons) house went down about 7...Its really crazy..But they have been well taken care of..Thank you and your hubby for all that you are doing..

WE have taken all of our cruises in early January and had just a coupe days where it was cooler. but mind you coming from Wisconsin anything is warmer LOL... the funny thing is when its a cool day the only ones in the pool are the ones from the north...Our Freedom cruise on the way from Cozumel to Grand Caymen we had 20 ft seas and 60mph winds.. have a picture of my wife walking down the stairs out on deck 4 her hair sticking straight up from the wind...

keep in mind warm waters to a person living way north ( used to cold temps much of the winter) and warm waters to a person living south ( mild winters) might be two different things...........

we are going on vos jan 25 and are just hoping for an indian summer the week we go! lol

Absolutely....I live in Florida, 65 is cold to me because we are used to 90 degree weather. I will not go in my pool unless it is 85 or above, the water is too cold to me under that. We went to the Bahamas in December last year and while the sun was warm, to us the water (CoCo Cay) was freezing and I was amazed at how many people were swimming though. I wouldn't even put my feet in.

So alot is what you are used to. People from colder climates will feel like it is summer and have a great time swimming and snorkeling. Wusses like me who are used to very warm weather and water, will freeze. LOL

Overall, the chances are great that the weather will be warm and you'll have a great time. Water in that area probably only varies 4-5 degrees in Summer versus Winter, so swimming in the ocean should also be comfortable.

However - last year we went to Eastern Caribbean last week of January, and got unlucky. It was cold or rainy the entire trip. 65 degrees in Miami when we left, no better first day on the ship. Noreastern hit STT so the seas were rough, and it was windy and cool. St. Maarten was warm - but it was windy and rainy most of the day. Return trip had one day of sun before returning to Miami to head home.

Just got off a 5 night Western in mid-November. Downright cold the entire trip. Not trying to be negative - we're Platinum members, and have historically had fabulous weather no matter when we've cruised. Just thought I'd share - the other side.

Either way - cruising is a blast and you'll have fun. Here's hoping sunshine finds your ship!

Archived