Children dining in shorts

tiggerfan616

My DH and I are taking our 7 yr old son on his 1st cruise in January. I was wondering if anyone knows NCL's policy regarding shorts for kids in the dining rooms or specialty restaurants. I have planned on packing him bermudas with collared shorts for dinner but dont want to waste the space if they will not allow it?

Thanks in advance for the help

I actually found my own answer on NCL's website, should have went there first. But incase anyone else is wondering children under 12 can wear shorts anytime. Think I might have to print a copy of that and bring it along just in case:p

You probably will not need a copy. I have been on several NCL ships and shorts (not gym shorts :eek:) are OK at dinner. This past summer on Carnival, they also allowed nice shorts at dinner on the non-formal nights. Our kids still dressed up on the formal nights and really did not mind it:D!

Have a great cruise.

Thanks Jim, I was reading on the NCL boards where they did tend to give some of the kids issues with shorts but it sounded like the older ones.

We sail NCL because we dont do formal nights, I still plan on bringing him khakis and collered shirts, and his shorts are the nice plaid bermudas with collered shirts.

Now my problem is finding sandals in Dec in NJ, he decided to have a growth spurt last month and outgrew his from the summer

One thing to note. Even if the dining room has no issue with the kids dressed up in nice shorts remember the dining room on all the ships I have been on(9) were cold. My legs are freezing when I am in a shorter skirt. I would hate to have the kids feeling "cold" while they are trying their best to sit through a long dinner. Maybe pack a pair of docker style pants just in case.

One thing to note. Even if the dining room has no issue with the kids dressed up in nice shorts remember the dining room on all the ships I have been on(9) were cold. My legs are freezing when I am in a shorter skirt. I would hate to have the kids feeling "cold" while they are trying their best to sit through a long dinner. Maybe pack a pair of docker style pants just in case.

A very good point. My son chose to wear pants to the dining room most of the time on the cruises we have been on because it was cold.

Hello Tiggerfan,

Just wanted to let you know that you can find childrens sandals at Stride Rite online and maybe check a store as well ,sometimes they have them.

I also live in New Jersey .I have noticed recently that alot of the stores are statrting to get some Spring clothes and swimsuits.

Good Luck

I'll keep my parenting opinions to myself but I don't think it should be excused for children. My daughter has been cruising since she was 4 and never wore shorts in a dining room and never will. Nothing like dressing up for dinner to see parents well dressed and their kids in shorts and flip flops.

Flame all you want.

I'll keep my parenting opinions to myself but I don't think it should be excused for children. My daughter has been cruising since she was 4 and never wore shorts in a dining room and never will. Nothing like dressing up for dinner to see parents well dressed and their kids in shorts and flip flops.

Flame all you want.

I am not going to flame you. I just want to state some facts.

I do not believe that the poster was looking to make excuses for any childs attire in the dining room and neither was I.

NCL cruises offer freestlye crusing which is classified as resort casual! Nice shorts are allowed in the dining room for adults and children on many if not most evenings. If it is the accepted and posted dining attire, it is not an excuse.

I never mentioned flip flops and neither did the poster. There is a difference between sandals and flip flops by the way. I know most women who dress up in evening wear choose an open toe shoe, do you consider these flip flops as well?

Finally, I know how to dress appropriately and require that my children wear nice things where ever they go. My son is 14, owns a tuxedo, and also has a few suits. He has worn them on cruises. My daughter is 10 and will only wear dresses to dinner when we cruise because she likes to.

The point is following a recommended dress code that is established by the cruise line. If it is allowed it is not making an excuse.

Archived