HUGE problem...

berls088

i called vital records this morning and they couldnt find him..then i learned tonight that i was looking for the wrong last name. so his bc and license have different names and birthdates on them. so if we go there they will say its not him... he never knew that his last name wasnt what it really is...

So you asked for the name on that xerox copy and it was not there? So that would mean the xerox is a fake?

You might be cruising alone.:(

Good luck.

Steve

I NEED fluids and food to survive, I dont NEED a PP for the types of travel(Travel within the US and its territories and closed loop cruises starting in the US) I stated earlier.

Sorry OP, dont mean to spam your thread with my NEED to state the lack of NEEDING a PP for the types of travel I stated earlier. I hope you and your BF get everything figured out so you can stop stressing over this and get to thinking about enjoying your cruise.

GL

Oh the obnoxiousness. It is not legally required. I say it is a need for any travel that has you entering a foreign country simply because of the relatively reasonable risk of something going wrong.

You may choose to chance it, and you certainly can cope without it (the way people can cope without functioning kidneys, but I bet they would prefer not to have dialysis) but it is a need anytime you enter a foreign country.

Again those who say you don't NEED one have never been stranded without one. I have, I can assure you it is not enjoyable and can get you threatened with jail (ahem, again happened to me) Especially crappy when it happens after the embassy closes for the weekend....

So yes I think I speak with more authority than you because I have experienced that NEED very very intimately.

Kelly

i called vital records this morning and they couldnt find him..then i learned tonight that i was looking for the wrong last name. so his bc and license have different names and birthdates on them. so if we go there they will say its not him... he never knew that his last name wasnt what it really is...

I'm trying to be delicate here, but is it possible that perhaps your BF hasn't been fully forthcoming with the complete story?

You said:

...his adoptive mom just told him that he never was legally adopted so the last name he has now isnt his real one. he has to find his adoptive mother (if shes alive) and go with her to the adoption place or wherever and sign him over. his real father died before they got the chance....

Did he tell you that, or did his adoptive Mom tell you that? Before you push this any farther you may want to think it through. I'm just saying....

Oh the obnoxiousness. It is not legally required. I say it is a need for any travel that has you entering a foreign country simply because of the relatively reasonable risk of something going wrong.

You may choose to chance it, and you certainly can cope without it (the way people can cope without functioning kidneys, but I bet they would prefer not to have dialysis) but it is a need anytime you enter a foreign country.

Again those who say you don't NEED one have never been stranded without one. I have, I can assure you it is not enjoyable and can get you threatened with jail (ahem, again happened to me) Especially crappy when it happens after the embassy closes for the weekend....

So yes I think I speak with more authority than you because I have experienced that NEED very very intimately.

Kelly

Oh the obnoxiousness, NEED implies required, ie car needs gas. Yes having one might, might make things go more smoothly if all your scenarios come true. All that means is its more helpful than NEEDED. If it was needed, then CBP would say its needed. What does CBP say about this.............

Quote:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that • begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

LINK:http://cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/whti_state_factsheet.ctt/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

need   [need] –noun

1. a requirement, necessary duty, or obligation: There is no need for you to go there.

LINK:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/need

NEED:D

On my one and only cruise, I didnt NEED a PP. MY DL and BC worked fine.

I will consede you feel a NEED for a PP but, its not a requirement. Remember, I remarked based on specfic types of travel. I NEED to have the last word, so I will consider this post as such:D. Best of luck to you and your travels

So nice that you took care of everything for him, the lucky guy. Does he know how to surf internet?

It would be my HUGE problem if I do not have internet:rolleyes:

In the midst of all this happening was when his mom told him to come home she had something to tell him in person... he found out yesterday afternoon and is devastated... he feels like hes not a legal person... poor baby :(

i layed in bed till 330 am before i finally got up and had several shots of whickey to calm me down enough to sleep...then woke up at 515 am to work some ot before the cruise!

me and my sister whos the smartest person ever (jonathansburden on here i think) are tryin to figure things out later today.

the bf is a computer tech for a living but is too overwhelemed...

I'm trying to be delicate here, but is it possible that perhaps your BF hasn't been fully forthcoming with the complete story?

Before you push this any farther you may want to think it through. I'm just saying....

:(I was thinking the same thing. OP, I feel so bad for you, and I do hope you are able to work things out. Look on the bright side - you don't leave for another month and a half - he could have told you all this on Jan 30!

Ditto that!!

Cruise3, what if the boyfriend took the new BC and went to the DMV and had them change the driver's license to match the BC?? The the OP could rest easy.

(and OP, I still would check into getting it all straightened up afterwards, but NOT before the cruise).

BTW, is he sure he wasn't born a year earlier? Same thing happened to my Mom's friend, only she got to take a year OFF of her age!! (long story...)

That would work, especially in the morning when a DMV opened up providing that the persons age is not around 20-21. A simple, I got a corrected BC now I need to correct my DL.

My late MIL had to get a corrected BC and didn't have to go through the court. She needed to find two items with her name spelled correctly to submit and, naturally, didn't have them. Either her first, middle or last name was misspelled on everything she had. Finally, a nice worker at the state took pity on her and issued the BC. Of course, THAT BC had the wrong spelling on one of her names but at that point she decided to just go with it and send it in to FIL's pension administrator and they started sending a check.:D

Since this story has gotten even messier with the news of not a legal adoption, I still think you need to call, not write to your U.S. Congressman/U.S. Senator. You are only going to get the run around going through different agencies. One department will tell you one thing, then so on and so on. You need more than someone from that has no clue what you not only need, but what to do.

Good luck, I do hope this all works out for you and your BF

...the bf is a computer tech for a living but is too overwhelemed...

So if BF has a job, his employer had him file an I-9 form to prove he's eligible to work in the US. Look at page 4 of 4 of this document:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-9.pdf

BF had to show either:

- A single passport type document, or

- One document from column B (DL, Voter Registration, School ID, etc) and one document from column C (most likely his SS card).

Have him check with the HR Dept at his employer to see what he filed at work when he was hired, then get a copy of that I-9 form along with the original "proof" documents he used and bring them to the courthouse.

The I-9 is of no use. Just because an employer accepted it doesn't give the identity documents any more validity than they had before. In fact, you probably don't want to bring this to the employer's attention at this point as evidently your BF does not have valid documents to prove he is even a U.S. citizen or resident authorized to work!

This is a very complicated situation, with an adoption that wasn't legally sanctioned, name issues and birth date issues. In my opinion, you really should think about consulting a lawyer who specializes in family law and specifically adoptions. Also, the personal side of this has to be very difficult for your BF and the two of you really need to support each other through this. While I really hope you can find a solution before your cruise, you should make some back-up plans also (such as finding someone to go with you if he can't, or cutting you losses now as you are still far enough out that you will lose the deposit portion only up to 30 days before the cruise).

First, regarding the OP question and the additional information I missed, yeah that sounds not too great. This is when I think I would be consulting someone (lawyer??) with more experience in this.

Now as to the passport issue.

Oh the obnoxiousness, NEED implies required, ie car needs gas. Yes having one might, might make things go more smoothly if all your scenarios come true. All that means is its more helpful than NEEDED. If it was needed, then CBP would say its needed. What does CBP say about this.............

Quote:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that • begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

LINK:http://cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/whti_state_factsheet.ctt/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

need   [need] –noun

1. a requirement, necessary duty, or obligation: There is no need for you to go there.

LINK:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/need

NEED:D

On my one and only cruise, I didnt NEED a PP. MY DL and BC worked fine.

I will consede you feel a NEED for a PP but, its not a requirement. Remember, I remarked based on specfic types of travel. I NEED to have the last word, so I will consider this post as such:D. Best of luck to you and your travels

It is the fact that you felt the NEED to define need for me that makes you obnoxious. I understand you are willing to travel and take the risk of not having a passport. And thanks for quoting the legal requirements although that was fairly pointless since I never claimed any different.

You still NEED a passport if you are in another country and for any reason are separated from your ship. Not ALL my scenarios have to come true. Only one does out of hundreds for this to occur. If you do not have one it isn't as simple as show your BC and DL and there ya go, you are on your way. You still will be required to get a passport which will cost you considerably more money and frustration than it takes to get one in the US.

I agree, you can legally cruise without a PP. That was never in dispute. And certainly in most cases you will not have a problem and the PP will never be needed. I completely agree with you. My problem is you and the other, bah who needs a passport peeps are being partially untrue.

There is a risk in not having one and you just need to be honest about that risk. And until you personally have lived through attempting to replace or procure an original while stranded you will not be able to speak to the difficulty it is. And regardless at that point, it certainly is a NEED!

I was not insulting to you, I certainly never felt like you might require some definitions of pretty simple words. I simply explained that while it might not be legally required it certainly may be needed. You can't dispute that a need could easily arise.

thanks everybody for your help thus far, hopefully by tonight ill know a little more as to what the hell we are going to...

thanks again and ill let you know what happens!

Let me ask you this ... Have you tried contacting vital records with the name on his social security card? If that varies from the birth cert, you might be on the right track with vital records.

This whole story is beginning to smell like yesterdays catfish...

No way this person went through school/college, health insurance, jobs etc.... With false documents...Methinks Berls is hitting the whiskey a lot more and earlier than claimed above...

If I am wrong I will apologize... :rolleyes:

This whole story is beginning to smell like yesterdays catfish...

No way this person went through school/college' date=' health insurance, jobs etc.... With false documents...Methinks Berls is hitting the whiskey a lot more and earlier than claimed above...

If I am wrong I will apologize... :rolleyes:[/quote']

Hi Toni :D, are you staying warm? We are getting ready to go to Texas for the winter next week. I can not wait to get out of this crappy winter weather, which is endless and it is not even winter yet :(.

Especially in this day an age but then what do I know, nothing.

It is still needed. Again, it may not be legally required but you are not getting in or out of a foreign country except on that ship without one. ........

and then -

Again those who say you don't NEED one have never been stranded without one. I have....

So, which country are you posting from right now?

We adopted a child when she was 14 yrs old and was born in the USA and never had a birth certificate. She was in school...without one....but we never figured out how she was able to get into school with a BC.

When you're adopted, it's not always easy to go to vital records to get your certificate. The best thing to use if the certified adoption papers and take them to the city hall of the city the adoption took place. Our kids adoptiong is private, so vitalrecords won't be able to bring her records up. Each adoption is different, so the best thing you have is the adoption papers.

My daughters adoption is private.... no problem getting a birth certificate... when we asked for it the one with our names was given not one with her biological parents....

Her BF is a computer tech for a living, so I believe he went through all educations needed. Possibly got around all kinds of problems until this tough one. Again, so nice that the lucky guy has her as GF to survive.

Keeping working hard, you both have all our support to make it through.

Hi Toni :D, are you staying warm? We are getting ready to go to Texas for the winter next week. I can not wait to get out of this crappy winter weather, which is endless and it is not even winter yet :(.

Especially in this day an age but then what do I know, nothing.

Hi Pegs!!!

One day its freezing and the next it is warm!! Can not wait for spring!!:)

anyone knows if correcting/changing name on BC needs to go through court order?

Correcting a birth certificate takes an act of god....LOL.... before our last cruise my mom found out her middle name on her bc was wrong.... believe me it was easier to change it on her drivers license and social security card to the wrong one than to change her bc to the right one.... needless to say she now has a different middle name after 64 years:rolleyes:

Archived